• Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 4,549

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Sify Broadband's consistency is becoming legendary. Unfortunately, the consistency is in being a pain in the @$$ and not a decent net provider. 10 months on Sify Broadband have been so enlightening that I can write a book on them. And the title could be as simple as: ‘Sify Broadband: b*st*rdizing Broadband in India '. They have made a mockery of the term broadband. In their definition, broadband is supposed to be used for either checking mails or just frequent chatting. That explains why they charge as much as Rs. 2.50 per megabyte on the only package that remotely resembles speeds that can be considered broadband as per TRAI's recommendation. Most other packages are again time and data transfer limited. The only packages that come with unlimited time and data transfer options (which actual internet users like to prefer) comes in 32kbps+ and 48kbps+ speeds. That too shared.What they do not tell you about these shared packages (I came to know from the customer support on phone) is that, there is no guarantee of speed. After a particular amount of data transfer is done, the speeds are further dropped down. And, if you ask for support, you are mocked by the CTOs. According to them, we cannot expect reasonable services and speeds if we pay JUST 600-800 bucks. So, in the end... You do not get decent speeds, you do not get decent services, and facts are hidden from you. You just feel like you have been cheated and you see how they make a mockery of the system in the name of being the largest broadband provider in the country.So, where do I fit in all this? I am a net maniac. I have to be online for at least 10 hours a day. Otherwise, I feel like something is missing! I do not have a permanent job at the moment. I write articles for tech websites, which makes up for most of my expenses. And the only net provider in my area happens to be Sify Broadband. So, practically I am stuck with it. And considering I have little else to do with my spare time, I like to fight for what I pay for. That kind of resulted in the Blog. I started this to keep track of how good (or bad) Sify's net connection behaves in the long run. And, with time... It kind of turned into a complete user experience. I started getting mails from other suffering Sify broadband users, which made me start the Sify Broadband Forum. Now, it is a full-fledged war. You are welcome to experience it (in case you are prospective customer), or be a part of it (if you are an existing customer). I have got no mercy for them...

all right.. i grant you one thing the customer care s*cks.. i don't know about speed as i am getting great speeds.. it's been one week since i emailed them regarding some stuff and didn't get any reply.. what i want to know is about that switch thing.. i am talking about the thing that activates when you downloada a certain amount and lowers your speed.. are you positive that such a switch exists?? because the customer care deny it's existence..

i am sure coz 2 seperate individuals told me the same thing on phone. both were from chandigarh sify office. i dont remember the names coz i already have had conversations with around 12 people from sify ranging from my CTO to chandigarh to delhi to chennai. i am just waiting to get that in writing. and if they deny it on phone, well than it's their loss that they are cheating the end customer.as for your speeds are concerned, i got a feeling my speeds are a problem with my local network. i get pings ranging from 100-3000 ms on the local chandigarh server. and if this is what i get from servers 10 KM from here. I dont know what to expect from servers residing in USA. and as i speak... since its night time, i am getting speeds of 10-12 KBps as compared to 1-2 KBps during the day time.and well as people who know me would agree with. I am not cynical that i dont know what speeds i get on my computer. and i certainly dont find it funny when customer support asks me what version of IE i am running or the bad speeds I get on my connection are more likely due to the slow servers of the websites i am visiting. it is time they grow up and start realizing, they have got some real solid competition arriving in the near future. sure they can increase the speeds in one go (as it happens for short durations very often)... but it surely wont keep a good image in the long run.and ofcourse, i am here to aware every prospective sify broadband customer on what he is getting into...

I have experienced severe and continuous downtime for the past 8 days (complaint ID: 1155468) and nothing seems to have been done about this. Every time I call the customer care number I am told (customer care is like a tape recorder) that the local team is looking into it and will get in touch with me with an update. But that has not happened a single time yet. The local CTO, ICC, is extremely non responsive and un professional to deal with. One cannot get through to their phones most of the time. A Mr. Susheel (Cell: 98909.18148) from the local Sify office has been extremely unprofessional and unhelpful as well. The only time he crawls out from whatever rock he lives under is to probably collect installation charges. He has consistently refused to return calls, update me or help in anyway possible.

I bought this package (64 kbps) as I was told that there would be minimum downtime. But the converse seems to be true here. As it is a pre-paid service there should be greater focus on customer service. If I do not get the service I have already paid good money for, then that is something which is generally known as a con job. Is the revenue model based on installation charges accumulated or provision of broadband and retention of customers?

It seems that the brand equity of Sify is suffering greatly because of lack of customer focus and service to support this service and you need only to go to sites like http://broadbandforum.co/categor...neral-thoughts/ or http://forum.seo4india.com/index.php?showforum=21 to see what the response to the service has been. After my experience with Sify how do think I would describe the service to potential subscribers? :angry:

ankx, PUNE

so that makes it panchkula/chandigarh, bangalore and now pune... did i miss any other city?

i dont have anything to add...-The icon..which they called a feature and usefull , on their broadband site-if u take 24 hours, i have 18 of 2.8kB/s or lower and the rest 7kB/s-The automatic shutdown, i can call it a miracle if i stay longer then , lets say like 2 hours or 3 hours online without being disconnected... but its strange, internet is still on, but there is just no datatraffic-The packages, there is NO alternative for middlecl@$$ people.. even the uppercl@$$ would be insane to get a 256kbps package for +4k and renew it every weekIts a poor service provided by a greedy company

that sums it all. all we need is...reliable connectivityno interfarence from any stupid clientunlimited download and uploadsdecent speedsat respectable prices.i had happy to pay 1500 for what tata indicom offers... unlimited everything at 110kbps. the actual speeds my friends in gurgaon gets is close to 64kbps. but it is wireless and comes with a STD/ISD enabled phone... suits me fine. sify has no package suited for me if they do not guarantee minimum speeds in shared packages... coz they are the only package that comes with unlimited data transfer and time...that sums up much of what i have to say. looks like, along with the blog... i would keep tab on new stuff from my side. others are still welcome to share what they feel and think!

i don't experience the auto logout prob when i disable my firewall.. but sify should have tested it's client thoroughly before releasing it.. i can't wait to see how much hate mail sify will get when it enforces broadband client access only (from october 7) 😛

if u enable alerts, u will notice 2-3 IPs from bombay server of sify pinging you. Note them and allow them access... that might help. i get logout with both firewall on and off. incidently with firewall on i get booted out less frequently.

Here is my review.Good Things Speed is Ok as they promise. i get avg of 6-7 Kbps (32 kbps ultd) Network Connectivity is Good (Its been more than 3 months i have called my CTO)Bad Things Freq Logouts. BUt things seems improving, number of loggout is decreasing. Not suitable for heavy downloads.

Originally posted by Bhinder@Oct 4 2004, 07:54 AM
i can't wait to see how much hate mail sify will get when it enforces broadband client access only (from october 7)  😛
[snapback]770[/snapback]
[/quote]
in parts of the country they still have sify weblogin?

OK ! Here I am .. one more 100% annoyed sify ( infact we should call it SIFY-SUX "broadband" ) coustomer. This time from MUMABI !!

This is a first month ( and I think LAST since I have a choice to shift to other service provider ) I am using sify and its a terrible experience. Only best solution to all the problems of sify-sux is not using that service at all. Since its pre-paid just forget about the money you paid them too. Sify guys definatly damn sure about one thing : Whatever they do , cheat, miss-guide customer, noone will ever goto any consumer court and not going sue them for few hinderd ruppes. And thats their bussiness !!

I was badly cheated by a sify marketing person here in malad called "Prasad", who sold me a fake imaginery sify pack .. which actully doesnt even exist.

Its a 64kbps pack, where there are no restrictions on downloads, with a promise that my speed would never go below 48kbps. fact is .. that pack is max 48kbps, most of the downloading ports are blocked, my winMX never got through the sify-sux network, my download speed is 0.50 to 2.5 max.

But god do exist, sometimes .. I get 62kbps speed and 6-8kbps download speed. I wonder how this happans, either I am in 64kbps pack and and I should get that speed most of the time, which is not happaning, OR I am in 48kbps pack and I get that speed by the grace of GOD ! But even GOD is helpless once I download 75MB, speed dropdown to 23kbps. Actully I got this 62kbps speed .. hardly few times in night hours. No credit to sify , thanks to other who were sleeping with their PCs off and not sharing my bandwidth.

As per as sify-sux coustmer care guys my pack is 48 kbps. When I told them about the fake pack sold to my by Prasad, they just prefered not to answer back. I did not even got any complaint ID for that complain, instead I was told to send an e-amil to coustmer care. I am sure I am not going to get any response from them.

I am sure that I lost my 750 rs for this month. I am not going to renew the serivce , will try and see if I can get my money back ( very difficult ). Only if I would have had some spare money and time, I would have gone to the court. sify-sux is a big froud, and they are cheating us in all the possible ways they could. Never the less, I will definatly write a later to news papers and will see to it that they will print that later. And last and most important, I will see to it that, Non of my family - friends , people I know .. will ever subcribe sify-sux "Broadband".

Woohoo ... even I can write a book on sify-sux
Mayuresh Vaidya ( Mumbai )

After consistent follow ups and sending mails to every email ID I could lay my hands on I finally got a call from Vipin Vaidyanathan who handles CC in Chennai apologizing for everything, offering dial up access to tide over the downtime, and promising to take the CTO to task. In his own words "This is just not done". He said 99.9 % uptime could only be guaranteed on their wireless connection but the equipment cost there is prohibitive - 50,000 - 80,000 and more suitable to small businesses. I pointed out that there has to be some element of stability in the broadband cable connection or it becomes pretty much worthless. Lets hope this guy realises the torture we experience everytime the connection goes down! So the lesson being, continue emailing Sify, calling Sify, talk to decision makers or ask for decision makers and not call centre staff who are trained to give canned answers! ankX, PUNE

hello ankX,

There are two things, first thing is what sify promise and second is what it delivers. Little bit here and there in service is understandable. They are handaling a huge network and things might go wrong. But the fact is .. their Sales guys are fooling around here in mumbai, They are selling a pack which doesnot exist ! And best part is , territory manager here try to defend his guys and too smart to back off from what he says. They know what they are doing. Sale it and then leave it.

Today he promised me that he will send a person at my place to check my speeds and ports , no one turned up. He did helped me opening my winMX ports, no doubt about it, ( it took him almost 15 days to do that ) but the fact is there is still some catch in sify network which unable me to connect to media sharing softwares like winMX and Ares. These software connects very easily without any problems with othe ISP called PACENET here. I have some serious issues with sify to sort out. Can you please post "Vipin Vaidyanathan's" mail ID here or mail it to me on mayureshvaidya@gmail.com Lets see what this guy has to say about my issues.

Thanks a lot
Mayuresh Vaidya