No Free MB's This Month ? :angry:

• Thread starter Thread starter sanke1
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 4,211
blocked ports?? ur kidding me...btw if u really gonna talk to the GM (or Something)...nah! too easy! 😛

Originally posted by St0le@Jan 8 2006, 10:10 PM
blocked ports?? ur kidding me...

btw if u really gonna talk to the GM (or Something)...nah! too easy! 😛
[snapback]38638[/snapback]
[/quote]

Here is the nmap that i ran on the MTNL router: Its legal to do.

$ nmap -sU -P0 -v -p 16384-16403 59.182.63.254
Starting nmap 3.70 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-01-07 23:54 IST
Initiating UDP Scan against 59.182.63.254 [20 ports] at 23:54
The UDP Scan took 0.13s to scan 20 total ports.
Host 59.182.63.254 appears to be up ... good.
All 20 scanned ports on 59.182.63.254 are: closed

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.187 seconds

BTW notice the ports are all closed. I am on Bridged mode right now and have tried disabling firewall on the router and my Mac - I did try 🙂

Called the MTNL folks at 1504 and the lady was going "Please take the GM's number and talk to him... blah, blah, blah... i am sorry I do not understand your situation".

"24*7" LMAO - some support these people can give. all they know is "Here is your complaint number."

but thats the gateway? isnt it?u know someting about firmwares? pl help

The ports you have scanned aren't anyway blocked by the firewall...Anyway they will show as open if something is actually running on those ports.

oh! yeah i forgoot about his thread...dood u jjust scanned the gateway ports...AFAIK they are not supposed to be open...the ports are not blocked...they are closed!MTNL DOEs not Block Anything!

Originally posted by St0le@Jan 9 2006, 09:39 PM
oh! yeah i forgoot about his thread...

dood u jjust scanned the gateway ports...AFAIK they are not supposed to be open...the ports are not blocked...they are closed!

MTNL DOEs not Block Anything!
[snapback]38714[/snapback]
[/quote]

Apparently that is the problem. These ports are supposed to be left open. There are two states on a router / gateways port - open / closed. I work with a team helping Network Services. The only diff is we run a 8 MBps link and support 4K users across the world. 🙂

We close ports on the server so that certain apps - usually chat etc. are not used and we can channel more bandwidth to our VPN.

Just my two pennies on MTNL. I talked to the GM - BroadBand. A great guy though. I hope I get some help there. If not the SIFY and Dishnet guys have already wired my home and waiting for my go. Hate to but life's like that you know.

Originally posted by max@Jan 9 2006, 09:18 PM
The ports you have scanned aren't anyway blocked by the firewall...Anyway they will show as open if something is actually running on those ports.
[snapback]38703[/snapback]
[/quote]

Max,

Thanks for the reply. Please see my reply to St0le. I was running my services and they should report as open when connected. Right? :mellow:

Originally posted by St0le@Jan 9 2006, 11:20 AM
but thats the gateway? isnt it?

u know someting about firmwares? pl help
[snapback]38668[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sure. I would be glad to be of help. Please do let us know about your problem.

Cute.....d COMBO plan buking has stopped from 25th Dec but d Plan is still functional. 😛

Originally posted by dowgMac@Jan 9 2006, 10:03 PM
Apparently that is the problem. These ports are supposed to be left open. There are two states on a router / gateways port - open / closed. I work with a team helping Network Services. The only diff is we run a 8 MBps link and support 4K users across the world. 🙂

We close ports on the server so that certain apps - usually chat etc. are not used and we can channel more bandwidth to our VPN.

eh? aren't closed ports and blocked ports the same thing? Check your router settings once again. These cheap routers dont always obey all the commands in the GUI. Even though you have opened/ forwarded those ports to the internal network the IPtables rules might not have been setup correctly...

Originally posted by max@Jan 11 2006, 12:22 AM
eh? aren't closed ports and blocked ports the same thing?
[snapback]38858[/snapback]
[/quote]

No.

While TCP is setting up a connection, It sends out a SYN packet.

1. An open port will reply with SYN + ACK (Some process is listening on this port)
2. A closed port will reply with RST (No one is listening on this port)
3. A blocked port will not send anything back.

Originally posted by max@Jan 11 2006, 12:22 AM
eh? aren't closed ports and blocked ports the same thing? Check your router settings once again. These cheap routers dont always obey all the commands in the GUI. Even though you have opened/ forwarded those ports to the internal network the IPtables rules might not have been setup correctly...

Netfreak, thanks for the info. I am quite familiar with TCP/IP specs. There seems to be some confusion. ISPs have two options while blocking ports. They either "CLOSE" them or they "DROP" all packets on that port (ingress as well as egress). The choice depends on the ISP. My previous ISP used the first option. So for me, blocked ports or closed ports mean the same.dowgMac,> Secondly if you note I am using a commandline scanner (nmap). Goog it.How does that make any difference? A GUI or CLI scanner will report the same results. May I know what kind of scan did you run? I usually use this:nmap -P0 -O -v If you're not familiar with the CLI options of nmap then try using xnmap. I am quite sure that any firewall will work only on the first 1024 ports. The higher up ports are usually untouched lest the ISP explicitly writes rules for it which is not true.Tell you what. I am not a MTNL Triband user so I am not of any help unless you want to run a scan from the outside. Also, instead of using TCPDump, use Ethereal. It has much more functionality than TCPDump.

Originally posted by max@Jan 12 2006, 08:54 PM
Netfreak, thanks for the info. I am quite familiar with TCP/IP specs. There seems to be some confusion.

So for me, blocked ports or closed ports mean the same.

dowgMac,

> Secondly if you note I am using a commandline scanner (nmap). Goog it.

How does that make any difference? A GUI or CLI scanner will report the same results. May I know what kind of scan did you run? I usually use this:

nmap -P0 -O -v

Also, instead of using TCPDump, use Ethereal. It has much more functionality than TCPDump.
[snapback]38997[/snapback]
[/quote]

Max,

The namps were reading the data alright... if it was filtered it would show. BTW it reported closed. BTW I sent a few mails to the GM here and they helped me. Now all is fine. The tcpdum actuall pointed out where the icmp fialed and why my app was not responding to the incoming packets.

Apprently the router settings were all good all through and boy did I go through hoops trying to debug the stuff. The D-Link support was least forthcoming other than telling me everyting by the book. Often times I feel that the support guys are nthing but a bunch load of lards sitting there and getting pretty good pennies for nuttin.

Well I sure will be looking forward to the connection being normal so that I can write home about it. I am working on writing a help for users on the Mac connecting to the MTNL Triband (sic) including the power settings.

BTW this forum has a lot of hackers (ethical) who have helped me in a way or other. thanks guys. I will be around reading posts if I can help y' know.