No 5.1 Audio in HD channels

what i mean is that should be 5.1 from the source to speaker to be graded true 5.1. something like video should be 1080i all through from shoot to delivery to be regarded full HD right? No manipulation anywhere later. Please do take some time out to visit an audio showroom to understand what i am talking about.

I have visited quite a few of them.And still, i m failing to understand ur logic here......sound that shud come from left back, comes only from left back - this will be considered true 5.1, only if u have been told by someone that it is 5.1? So is it that when theres a car placed in front of u, and someone says it is a car, only then u believe it is a car?I mean whats the difference between real 5.1, and the manipulated 5.1 then? In real 5.1 u get a sound from left back and all coming from that respective satellite. And in the alleged manipulated 5.1 too, the same thing happens! Whats the difference then?

no it is not the same. In the real case it is a digital signal which actually goes through a decoder (All the sound that is meant from a particular channel is correctly routed.).

In your case, it is a sterero input is being worked out into 5 tweeters.

For an example most dialogues are usually center channel routed in the real. Are you sure you get that? I doubt. I am sure the left front and the right front speakers in your case will also boom.

Let me put this more clearly. a cricket commentary should be out from the center speaker. and the stadium effects from the other four channels.

Your mentions of say a cycle passing through the back (a case you mention) it is anyway a squeak. Quite the levels which should be channeled through your back tweeters.

If you still want to believe the "car" is in front of ya. I can help you bud

Cheerio.

I havent noticed that while watching the matches. But while watching movies, songs on HD channels, i can clearly notice the difference. The D2h Movie channel always used to air Hungama. Now yesterday, i saw that on Zee Cinema HD. There were lots of background sounds, which were not audible in the D2h movie channel, but were audible in Zee Cinema HD. And these sounds that were missing in the SD channel, were in fact the background sounds. Dont think of Background score, coz i dont mean to say that. Its the sounds. These came only from the back speakers.If what u said was to be believed, then i shudnt have been able to notice these differences. Even the SD channel shud have carried the same sounds as the HD channel.And no its not just a cycle passing. If in a scene, there is a road running from right front to left back, then u can actually hear the sound of vehicles starting loud from the right front speaker, and it goes on reducing, and eventually, it goes off, and in that order only, it increases in the left back, until the vehicle eventually goes off the scene.Someone is speaking in the background, that sound comes only in that dedicated back satellite, and as that person comes in the scene, the sound gradually moves into that front speaker.Just embarassing that i have to explain someone like u, in so much detail! U seem to have good knowledge of this stuff, but still u r making me explain the things in such detail! Havent u experienced it urself, ever?

pff.. "dedicated" back satellite. right correct. I am really sorry to have disturbed you over all these weeks and this weekend.Cheerio means a goodwill parting wish on this count.

Well, dedicated means left or right, from whichever side the sound was supposed to be coming!

I have a Onkyo 3500 and currently feeding it through HDMI from the Videocon d2h set top box. As has already been discussed in the forum, this is preventing me from listening to the Dolby Digital Audio stream. I am hence planning to use a SPDIF coaxial. Can anyone please point me to where I can buy a cable from online..Thanks

I was not recharging D2H for a month, and got time to do it today. Saw that they have started providing Dolby Digital in these channels, Movies Now HD, Start movies HD, Six HD, Nat geo HD and Discovery HD. Its impressive now, but other HD channels are still broadcasting stereo. Anyway D2H HD is worth the money now (Lot of things changed last one month when I missed to recharge). Thank You D2H

But the problem for users like me is that for many of these channels, Dolby Digital is default. So each time we want to view the channel, we have to change the language feed!

I didnt get that part Jaymin. Why you need to change the feed, wont your reciever do it automatically?

I dont have a receiver.....but is it that the receiver does that automatically?

Sorry for the late response, was out of the internet world for a while 🙂. I might have confused you, sorry for that. What I meant is that if the feed is Dolby 5.1, your receiver will detect it automatically and process it, and switch back to 2.1 when you change the channel to an SD one. In your case, I think you are talking about HD with sound output directly to the TV. Please let me know why you need to switch back and forth between dolby 5.1 and stereo, as your TV should convert it automatically. Maybe I am wrong, please educate