Nextra starts throttling torrents at 50KBps

• Thread starter Thread starter SidPraX
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 9,745
ISP
Nextra
Starting 11 March, Nextra has started throttling torrents big time.
On a 20 Mbps connection, I always got at least 2 MBps speed from well seeded/private torrents. Now its reduced to 50KBps.
Upon checking with their "network engineers" I was told they do not block torrents and have no such capability, which is obviously a farce. When this had happened to me on Airtel, they agreed in the end that they throttle torrent traffic and I was intimated of this "unofficially".
My advice: Stay away from Nextra if you are into torrenting. Airtel is probably better, when I had 40 Mbps Airtel I still got throttled to only 8-16Mbps for torrents (FTTH).
Can someone comment on Airtel throttling situation currently?

No throttling for me on 8 Mbps DSL Airtel.

maybe u need to check ur torrent client settings ? sometimes the software itself throttles the speed instead of the ISP

I don't understand the logic behind throttling any sort of data, keeping the FUP in mind.

Starting 11 March, Nextra has started throttling torrents big time.
On a 20 Mbps connection, I always got at least 2 MBps speed from well seeded/private torrents. Now its reduced to 50KBps.
Upon checking with their "network engineers" I was told they do not block torrents and have no such capability, which is obviously a farce. When this had happened to me on Airtel, they agreed in the end that they throttle torrent traffic and I was intimated of this "unofficially".
My advice: Stay away from Nextra if you are into torrenting. Airtel is probably better, when I had 40 Mbps Airtel I still got throttled to only 8-16Mbps for torrents (FTTH).
Can someone comment on Airtel throttling situation currently?
Dude it isn't nextra doing something notorious or nefarious!
Actually it is the Utorrent's protocol to throttle if you set the global upload speed (right clicking @ U:xxKbps at the task-bar of utorrent) to 1kBps. As you know sharing is caring!
Solution to this is -->
1. Set the global upload speed to unlimited.
2. Now select all torrents --> right click --> Bandwidth allocation --> Set Upload speed to 25kBps -->then again until u reach 1kBps.
3. Voila! enjoy your full Bandwidth!

Hope this helps as it did for me!