• Thread starter Thread starter vebk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 5,832

vebk

Mr. Advocate
ISP
Airtel 8 Mbps 'Unlimited'
Not trying to cross any paths here, but was just wondering if anyone else feels that the news threads started under newsman are not necessary and get in the way of other threads. I get my technology news from a variety of places, and don't really think that it compliments the utility of this forum, but rather detracts from it.

those news items are not only to inform the users of latest news. we of course have our own rss aggregators. the point is. it adds on current news topics for the user to discuss on. and they are limited to a few sections of the forum.

Don't know much about BBS software used on this site. Is it possible to exclude these posts from RSS? I.e. without changing php code.

I understand what you are trying to do, and I do appreciate the effort. My point is simply that if you look in the Software forum, most newsman threads have no replies (i.e. there is no discussion), and other non-newsw threads (e.g. threads asking for solutions to a problem) are consequently pushed into the 2nd page.Anyway I was contributing my two paise... I think newsman threads should be restricted to the News Discussion forum, but whatever.

But they shud be posted completely and not to be hyperlinked on a blog.That looks too commercial and one cannot discuss it then

QUOTE(boygr8 @ Sep 21 2006, 10:33 PM) [snapback]62885[/snapback]
But they shud be posted completely and not to be hyperlinked on a blog.That looks too commercial and one cannot discuss it then
[/b]

I would not want to replicate the entire content considering the google's policy for duplicate content on network sites.

Well I can think of two ways of solving what to me is an annoyance, while maintaining the utility to people who find it very useful:#1) Restrict the news threads to the "NEWS Discussion" forum - that way whoever wants to see them can go there, and whoever doesn't want to see them, doesn't have to.;but if that is not satisfactory then:#2) Would there be some way that the news threads can have a different look from regular discussion threads? I imagine, for example, it could be done by either having the topic title in a different coloured text, or on a different coloured background, or maybe they could have a different icon before them....

the thread starter is NEWSMAN. as simple as that. its mentioned in the feeds and on the forum. neat and clean. and best of all. the post title is neat legible english. no exclaimation or profanities in them. no bad spellings either. or maybe i am totally wrong.

hmm... maybe I am not being clear enough about what exactly IMHO is bad about these threads - I don't believe anyone is saying that legibility, spelling, exclamation marks or profanities is of issue.Basically, the newsman threads make it harder to go through forums like "Software" to find non-news threads because one has to sift through all the newsman threads... I didn't say it's not possible, I just said it's annoying, and there is a better solution. Since very few of these news threads are ever really discussed, perhaps they should just be limited to the "NEWS Discussion" forum.

news are going in their respective category. no one else seems to have problems with it. issue closed. cant help ya mate.

heh, ok... just do me a favour and keep it in the back of your mind... 🙂