news server settings

• Thread starter Thread starter arjunr
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 5,472

arjunr

hi guys ,i`m from bangalore and am using the dataone 25kbps connection . i want to subscribe to news groups and want to know news server sttings for dataone connection . i called up the customer support and those guys are blinking !!!!!!!please help me out guys . is there any other way to access news groups ..

you'll have free news servers on the net ... some provide read only access and some provide read and post...that's how i access news groupsbut not sure how it is done with the internet provider

As far as I know BSNL doesn't offer any news server. 😱Nor are the BSNL guys aware of these things. Many simply doesn't have any concept of ADSL stuff... 🙁

i doubt their is any ISP in india which anylonger has their own nntp servers. there was this free one i used. but it has gone paid too. the only decent way to access newsgroups seems to be google groups... but i had believe someone would know about any remaining nntp servers around here.

do they allow posting to newsgroups as well? and can i use a nntp client?

yes i said i am using it ... go ahead ..shoot !

this url has some servers listed ... it's very old page.. some of the nntp servers might be working .. give it a try

http://math.uww.edu/~harrisb/courses/cs490/public-nntp.html

Originally posted by Sushubh@Jun 13 2005, 09:58 PM
do they allow posting to newsgroups as well? and can i use a nntp client?
[snapback]12696[/snapback]
[/quote]

i'm not sure what an nntp client is ... software to use newsgroups right ?

i use outlook express 😉 B)

Originally posted by Sushubh@Jun 13 2005, 07:56 PM
i doubt their is any ISP in india which anylonger has their own nntp servers.
[snapback]12585[/snapback]
[/quote]

But VSNL has it's own news server for years & I have used it with outlook express & other nntp client in the past.

when was the last time u used vsnl servers? i think they restricted usage for only dialup users and they have mostly likely closed them now. can anyone confirm this?