New user, problems with browser

roshan.techie

ISP
mtnl
Hi All, I have just recently got the MTNL broadband.Already run into some problems :frown: I can only browse through IE, that too only IE6.0I can't browse in Firefox, Opera or even IE7. Problem2: I can't get some sites to work in IE6. Like microsoft, yahoo mail, etc. Wonder what settings need to be done. Plzzzz help me

Mention your Modem model always.
Try Dr TCP and change MTU values to 1492 or lower. ( Not useful for VISTA OS)
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/DrTCP.shtmlUse
USE OpenDNS 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222.
Update your OS.
MIne XP Pro SP2 sp3 not done.
Check the Firewall Program in your computer. . Allow IE7 FF /opera access.

First try browsing using dialup &
1)[FONT=&quot] Check your ‘problem’ sites next[/FONT]
2)[FONT=&quot] Check if the other browsers allow browsing[/FONT]
If yes then the problem lies in your broadband settings if no then
The problem lies in your computer

For ‘yes’ above change your MTU/DNS like mentioned by ’essbebe’ and check if problem persists. For ‘no’ above you will have to check your OS, browser or firewall settings. Hope this helps. 🙂

I use SP3 and have no problems

Well I am also facing the problem.My connection is working fine and speed is also normal.but suddenly my Internet stop working for some time (around 10 min) that it starts again.Even download in utorrrent is effected by this.MY router is GLB-502T.Exchange maniklal (ghatkopar mumbai).My mtu setting is 1492.Kindly help me out.

hmm its really weird, check modem settings and FF settings if all ok then check any firewall installed

Thx essbebe, socrates, tehelka for the pointers. My config:OS: Win XP Sp2.Modem: MT 882(provided by MTNL). My obervations:1) Modifying DNS to OpenDNS had no effect.2) Changing MTU to 1492 using DrTCP actually stopped IE6 also to function.3) Everything works fine when I use a normal dial-up for browsing.4) Tried disabling firewall, no effect.5) Router page(192.168.1.1) also doesnt work in Opera/FF. Appreciate any help.

u can try more things - get ur modem changed....if still no effect - re-install everythin after formattin....

Thx essbebe, socrates, tehelka for the pointers.

My config:
Modem: MT 882(provided by MTNL).

My obervations:
1) Modifying DNS to OpenDNS had no effect.
2) Changing MTU to 1492 using DrTCP actually stopped IE6 also to function.
3) Everything works fine when I use a normal dial-up for browsing.
4) Tried disabling firewall, no effect.
5) Router page(192.168.1.1) also doesnt work in Opera/FF.

Appreciate any help.

hmm, you must run,
1. good registry cleaner software
2. hijack this
3. clean the prefetch files
4. hard reset your router
5. LIST DOWN THE softwares that run in the background? (eg. AVG, Zonealarm or any other!)

Today between 9.37 & 9.51 when I started my computer & modem, I found all the relevant lights were on but no connectivity. When I looked at the modem settings I found that it showed that status was ‘connected’ & connection type as ‘bridge mode’ !!!. I use PPPoE. In the past when this happens I just switch off and start after some time and everything comes back to normal. It did just that today when I restarted at 10.22 everything was back to normal. If it does not come back to normal then I would be forced to contact the jerks at 1504.:frown: