New To Chennai

• Thread starter Thread starter imhopper
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 3,229

imhopper

Hi all,I'm an American moving to Chennai on August 31. I've been looking around at broadband options, and would like some recommendations. I'd like...-- As fast as possible-- Unlimited-- Static IP would be niceI've got several PCs and an iMac, and I plan to WiFi them -- though I don't need the techs to do any of it. In fact, I usually do it all after they leave. I need no tech support other than them telling me it's on. If they just leave my computer alone and give me the IP, subnet and gateway addresses, I'm a happy camper.I'm currently in West Africa, and getting faux-broadband through an antenna on a 20-foot pole on top of the house. It's not a pretty sight! And no matter what the cost in Chennai, I can guarantee it'll be cheaper than here.So got some suggestions?- Ian.

Airtel Home999 and BSNL Home900. Both are 256k unlimited ADSL connections costing Rs. 1000 ($22) + taxes. AS good as it gets as far as broadband in India goes :l I recommend Airtel over BSNL, that is if it's available where ur gonna put up. Stay away from local isp's. Dynamic ip's the norm with both but they do provide static ip's if requested to do so as far as i know.Hooking up ur Wifi router won't be a prob. You can ask them for the isp specific settings.

Just wondering with the unlimited, is it unlimited at full speed, or is it capped after a certain amount of dls?I find it hard to believe they'd let you download as much as you want at 256k.EDIT: just had a look, and it SEEMS like it is. That's quite good, so if i downloaded 100gigs every month, they wouldn't mind?

you cant download 100 gb every month with 256 kbps - go do your math

Ditch MAths. Unlimited is unlimited. At least BSNL doesnt cap or anything. The speeds remains the same inspite of how much you have downloaded.

The speeds depend on many factors including the contention ratio .
On BSNL Dataone a 256kbps connection is shared by other 49
users . The actual speed depends on how many are using the
broadband at that particular time ...

And on a unlimited Dataone connection BSNL has nothing to do
with how much we have downloaded within a month . so far
BSNL has not announced any data Limit for the unlimited plans .

Hi im residing in chennai(south) and i am using BSNL 900 unlimited plan and it is going without any hurdles.But i recommend Airtel as it has got good customer care than BSNL.Both are ADSL providers and you will get a landline phone connection with free incoming calls and ofcourse u gotta pay for outgoing calls along with the broadband bill. 🙂 I also use wifi and they wouldnt mind using it.No need to ask them for their permission.BSNL provides a wireless router but dont go with them , buy your own router (ive got Netgear).As far as i know in BSNL you cant have a static ip with unlimited connection but i hope you can ask them for extra bucks. 🤔 If you want a static ip then go for BSNL buisness 9000 plan and get 2 Mbps and a 40GB datalimit. 😛 Unlimited connections are not faster than 256Kbps :blink: And India is just getting up in Broadband internet so dont expect too much . :lol:

QUOTE(yogi @ Aug 7 2006, 07:43 PM) [snapback]57893[/snapback]
you cant download 100 gb every month with 256 kbps - go do your math
[/b]

it was a theoretical question fool