New Samsung Notebook Replaces Hard Drive With Flash

netfreak

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Sep 8, 2005
Samsung Electronics said Tuesday that it will launch two mobile computers in early June that will do away with hard drives altogether, replacing them with 32 gigabytes of NAND flash memory. The notebooks will be the first to use flash memory as the main storage device.[/b]

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558...2129TX1K0000532

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
hmm... this is a good beginning though i think hybrids are the safer way to go. you get faster boot, faster response time and good capacities on laptops as well. :D

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
this flash memory barely manages to compete with current harddrives in terms of space and speed. Unless samsung comes out with 60-80GB Flash disks the traditional disks will rule!

netfreak

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Sep 8, 2005
Real benifit of flash memory is on laptops. 40 GB is quite standerd on most laptopn configurations. And I will hapily trade speed for better battery backup.

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
true if you really need battery but then wont you waste most of the time waiting for your hardrive thus reducing your productivity? ;)

netfreak

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Sep 8, 2005
I run my laptop at "Max Battery life" settings that slow down HDD and proc. It still feels snappy. Have plenty of RAM (1 GB) so am not affected by swapping and HDD speed that much.

yogi

no fate but what we make
Regulars
Aug 26, 2005
I think I read somewhere that flash memory fails after a million writes...I read it in the toi sometime during the last few days. And it said they are still trying to circumvent that.

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
QUOTE(netfreak @ May 26 2006, 12:25 AM) [snapback]52326[/snapback]
Have plenty of RAM (1 GB) so am not affected by swapping and HDD speed that much.
[/b]

Oh come on tell me please where do you work (PM me atleast!) ! I wanna work there!! I wanna 1GB RAM laptop!

*choking...........*

I wanna 1GB RAM laptop!

*choking...........*

I wanna 1GB RAM...

*choking...........*

I wanna.....

*chokes*

netfreak

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Sep 8, 2005
QUOTE(max @ May 26 2006, 08:20 PM) [snapback]52378[/snapback]
I wanna work there!!
[/b]

Work for ANY fortune 500 firm. Make sure it is an industry that "depends" on IT.

Cost of hardware is negligible anyways. In any industry, your PC/Laptop will have a seat of Siebel/BO/MS. Cost of these are much higher.

Have a look at one ofthe numbers

Oracle is also offering a Standard Edition bundle with BI Beans, Oracle BI Discoverer, Oracle Reports, and Oracle Spreadsheet Add-In at a price of $400 $1,500 per named user. The Enterprise and Standard editions are available immediately. [/b]

This $2k per year cost is just for a reporting tools that is not one of the best. Think of CRM/eComm/Comm/stats tools. Any exec will need one of these.

And even top of the line laptop would not cost more thn $3k and lasts for 3 years.

Source : http://searchcrm.techtarget.com/originalCo...1175022,00.html

QUOTE(yogi @ May 26 2006, 08:18 PM) [snapback]52377[/snapback]
I think I read somewhere that flash memory fails after a million writes...I read it in the toi sometime during the last few days. And it said they are still trying to circumvent that.
[/b]

I don't know actual numbers. But it would be surprising if a Hard disk scetor could handle that many writes either.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
IBF Computers 0
IBF Computers 0
IBF Smartphone and Tablet PC Accessories 2
IBF Computers 1
IBF Computers 0