• Views Views 9,722

netfreak

Regulars
ISP
Airtel GPRS EDGE + VSNL
http://mumbai.mtnl.net.in/triband/htm/tariff.htm

Have a look at Plan no 11,

TriB 1199 -- 512 Kbps -- 2 GB -- 1200 Rs per month

Cool plan, probably the only ISP in India to give a 512 kbps connection in this price range....

With 512 kbps upload speeds, I can run my hobby websites right from my home and I can share my digital snaps etc without paying for web hosting. Good thing is, uploads are free. And I can do that while using my PC for normal usage and surfing.

2 GB download limit would definitely be an issue for some, but for me it is enough for:

1. Running 4 VOIP lines
2. Occasional downloads
3. New MP3 downloads
4. Ubuntu Linux CD every 6 months
5. Windows update / Ubuntu updates
6 Email / Surfing / Chatting

My download never crossed 1 GB in past, so 2 GB looks appealing to me.

Kudos to MTNL

Well may be good for your requirements. But most of us (say NU users) download 2GB within 4 days. 🤔

Hmm....VoIP lines, Ubuntu & Windoze updates, hobby site(s) will surely make your cross 2GB easily. Remember, when you run a website there is upload (download for the user) and download (upload for the user) on your server. Since, downloads are restricted, if users upload a whole lot to your server then your download limit will be exceeded quickly!

I disagree... my site never used more then 300 MB in a month (max was 290 when i had 5000 visitors in a month). Well my site is not popular anyways. Have a look at stats for current month (45 MB for 700 visitors). View attachment 305And if I calculate rest of the usage with generous estimates then I do not see more then 900 MB usage. I have been running 4 VOIP lines for quite some time and never faced huge data transfer. VOIP uses 16 kbps (or 2 KBps). Open any wave file in Windows sound recorder and reduce its quality to telephone quality. It will consume 10 kb for every second, VOIP adds 6 kbps of communication overhead. View attachment 307Total estimate turns out to be roughly 900 MB.View attachment 306

So your website doesn't require high bandwidth. Thats great. But tell me, if VoIP doesnt require so much bandwidth then why am I not able to use it over my 64Kbps connection which is 4 times faster than what you need (16Kbps) 😉

By default some VOIP providers (e.g. Skype/Vonage) use high quality settings that require 90 kbps bandwidth. You can degrade this quality to 16 kbps (POTS - Plain Old Tel Service quality equivalent to what Airtel or MTNL phone gives you).You can try a few things (if your VOIP provider supports it) 1. Use a better codec 2. Use a VOIP proxy located in India (I think Net2phone has one)3. Enable Silence suppression, no need to transmit your voice if you are not saying anything. What is the VOIP provider that you are using? If your VOIP provider uses SIP or H323, you can tweak it to use less bandwidth. OR if you are with some Cable ISP, they might be throttling bandwidth for a single connection. If that is the case, let me know I can give you an unlimited bandwidth download link for an hour and you can test that (if you do get 64 kbps WITHOUT using any download manager then your ISP is fine otherwise not)

Originally posted by netfreak@Nov 11 2005, 02:14 PM
By default some VOIP providers (e.g. Skype/Vonage) use high quality settings that require 90 kbps bandwidth.

You can degrade this quality to 16 kbps (POTS - Plain Old Tel Service quality equivalent to what Airtel or MTNL phone gives you).

You can try a few things (if your VOIP provider supports it)
1. Use a better codec
2. Use a VOIP proxy located in India (I think Net2phone has one)
3. Enable Silence suppression, no need to transmit your voice if you are not saying anything.

What is the VOIP provider that you are using? If your VOIP provider uses SIP or H323, you can tweak it to use less bandwidth. 
OR if you are with some Cable ISP, they might be throttling bandwidth for a single connection. If that is the case, let me know I can give you an unlimited bandwidth download link for an hour and you can test that (if you do get 64 kbps WITHOUT using any download manager then your ISP is fine otherwise not)
[snapback]31434[/snapback]
[/quote]

hey netfreak voip line? pretty good going care to give a breakup of your hardware+software combo.. for this.

My setup looks something like this:

Code:
MTNL DSL|||------->D Link Router + Modem (Provided by MTNL)                   |                   |                   |-------->NetGear WiFi (Has 4 LAN ports as well)                                      |                                      |--- wireless card---->PC                                      |--- wireless card---->Laptop                                      |-------Lan Cable---->IP Phone1 (Vonage)                                      |-------Lan Cable---->IP Phone2 (Stanaphone)

I do not use PC for VOIP, the VOIP phones that I have (Atcom) has options for configuring SIP for high or lod bandwidth usage. I amplanning to add two more phones in this setup with a 512 kbps line.

I dont use any VoIP provider. I have tried using Skype but thats about it 😕

oh that is the reason. Skype's technology is not that good, it needs 128 kbps to provide decent sound quality.

Even GSM (Codec used in cell phone not the GSM cell technology) requires just 32 kbps.

Have a look @:

http://www.voipnow.org/skype/

some blurb here:
Its codec requires 4 Kbytes / s and hence the software can run even on a dial-up connection. JAJAH also supports the following codecs, Skype - bandwidth of 112 Kbit / s; G.711 - bandwidth of 64 Kbit / s; GSM - bandwidth of 32 Kbit / s; G.729 - bandwidth of 8 Kbit / s.[/b]

Hi Netfreak,I am trying to connect atcom 320 pd voip phone on the mtnl dsl connection but i am getting Logon failed ...It was working fine at my friends place ...I guess there is some firewall problem ..Can you tell me what settings are to be done on the voip phone & D-Link 503t modem / router ..do i need to disable the firewall can u help me on this ..thanks in advancesanjay

this what I did:1. Disable firewall on router (D-Link)2. Place Netgear WiFi on DMZ (settings at Dlink router)3. Place atcom on DMZ (settings at Netgear router)Dlink does not have more then one Lan ports so I can't connect atcom to DLink.