New MTNL Broadband Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter netfreak
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 9,730
hi netfreak,thanks for the quick reply ..but i m not able to disable the firewall in the D-Link 502 modem..evertime i disable, save & reboot it shows the firewall enable ..i m logging to modem as admin ...any clue ..what mistake i m doing ...sanjay

Originally posted by sanjayrks@Nov 12 2005, 10:19 AM
any clue ..what mistake i m doing ...

Not sure what could be the reason...

But you can work even without disaling the firewall. Just put the phone in DMZ.

DMZ is an exception in a firewall, e.g. a PC (or any other device) which router will "expose" to public net. That device can can accept incoming connection for both TCP and UDP from net.

Originally posted by netfreak@Nov 12 2005, 10:39 AM
Not sure what could be the reason...

But you can work even without disaling the firewall. Just put the phone in DMZ.

DMZ is an exception in a firewall, e.g. a PC (or any other device) which router will "expose" to public net. That device can can accept incoming connection for both TCP and UDP from net.
[snapback]31597[/snapback]
[/quote]

even though ive answered this... u need to figure out which port the voip service needs and just forward those ports

An update on running my website on MTNL DSL. Noticed that MTNL provides fixed IP for 1k per year. Will be helpful.For now I have setup a Linux slice on top of Win XP. I hope the PC will be able to handle load of a light website + day to day usage (Outlook+Firefox+Office+JBuilder+MySQL). Increased RAM to 1 GB (can't afford spending more then that on a hobby). Have signed up for Dynamic IP DNS for my domain name from dyndns.org. I finally managed to trim Linux server to just 120 MB (it is derived from Slackware, has Apache, MySQL PHP and some other goodies). I do not need email server and spanassasin yet. Have throttled the Linux slice to not Use more then 128 kbps of download bandwidth (IPTABLE rocks). Limited Linux Slice to Use 256 MB RAM, rest of the RAM will be available to Windows XP. So even if my server gets hacked XP should be safe and keep running. Hopefully I will be able to setup things by end of this Month. If things go smooth then I will add a new 120 GB HDD and allow Linux slice to use it. I can sell 120 GB Web space that I got for nothing 😉 (kidding). With this setup, ultimately if I am able to share 2 GBs of photographs that I have accumulated in last 8 years with friends and family that would be great. Being in Mumbai, I am not too worried about power cut so covered on that front.

netfreak, one question though. You have only 1 machine right? How have you setup Linux "on top of WinXP"? Are you using Virtual PC or something similar? How much did you get the RAM for? I want to upgrade too! I just have 256MB 🙁

I have setup CoLinux (http://www.colinux.org). Cooperative Linux (short-named coLinux) is a port of the Linux kernel that allows it to run cooperatively alongside another operating system on a single machine. For instance, it allows one to freely run Linux on Windows 2000/XP, without using a commercial PC virtualization software.

I had to part with 4000 for 2 512 MB modules (plus I bartered 256 MB RAM).

CoLinux has been running cool. Apache 1.3 + PHP on Linux burns just as much CPU + RAM as Windows version.

I tried Virtual PC, but it maxed up the CPU even if Linux Apache had 20 visitors running PHP. With CoLinux its just 15%. And running a Linux server on Virtual PC requires roughly 200 MB RAM. And that makes XP slow.

What are the specs of the Modules? I want to put in 512MB RAM in Dual Channel Mode. I need 2x256 PC3200 Matched Modules. Where did you buy it from and what are the specs of the modules?Edit: Forgot to add, I have debian on my router. It acts as a Webserver, Database server, DNS Server, Proxy server (squid), Firewall and some things which I cant remember right now! 😛. The install is as small as 400MB and runs on my ol' P1 166MHz with 64MB RAM.

go ahead and buy any memory brand 2*256 mb.. and chk if they both have similar timings.. exact timings to be precise ..like say 2-3-3-8 etc etc..memory timings should be similar and they would work in dual channel mode man .. ...

Originally posted by max@Nov 13 2005, 09:22 PM
What are the specs of the Modules?
[snapback]31809[/snapback]
[/quote]

All I know is that is is Hynix (and cheapo) RAM. I bought it from a friend who has hardware business]Edit: Forgot to add, I have debian on my router. It acts as a Webserver,......,Proxy server (squid),......,and runs on my ol' P1 166MHz with 64MB RAM.
[snapback]31809[/snapback][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

Cool stuff mate. That's the power of Linux. Have you checked Ubuntu? Seems cool to me, I booted of the Live CD (version 5.04) and to my surpise it detected video card/lan card and even WiFi card.

I had a system that could be used to surf internet and edit docs with openOffice in 20 mins.

Maybe in next 5 - 6 years Linux will be a viable alternative to Windows on desktop as well.

Originally posted by chicmagnet@Nov 13 2005, 10:28 PM
go ahead and buy any memory brand 2*256 mb..
and chk if they both have similar timings.. exact timings to be precise ..
like say 2-3-3-8  etc etc..
memory timings should be similar and they would work in dual channel mode man .. ...
[snapback]31830[/snapback]
[/quote]
Any particular brand? Model No that I should look for? Actually any two chips will work in dual channel mode. The problem being if they aren't matched then the bandwidth is affected. It isn't those timings which are affecting the dual channel mode. Rather it's the operating frequency 😉

netfreak, what are you talking about mate? I dunno why people crib about OO being slow. It loads up at my place in about 5-7 seconds. And its an old version! The latest version of OO i.e. OO2 loads up like 2-3X faster than OO1 (which I happened to have).

Originally posted by max@Nov 14 2005, 11:24 AM
netfreak, what are you talking about mate? I dunno why people crib about OO being slow. ..........
[snapback]31872[/snapback]
[/quote]

Are you referring to this line?

I had a system that could be used to surf internet and edit docs with openOffice in 20 mins.

That 20 mins included boot up from Live CD, Device detection, WiFI config etc etc. I am not commenting on OpenOffice being slow.

And on Linux being ready for desktop on a few years, it not much about Linux per se, it is more about hardware manufacturrer, and software verndors supporting Linux as a platform.

E.g. if you are a Wed developer then you would not have Adobe Acrobat / Pagemaker on Linux. In a few years (I hope) either Linux offerings will improve or others will start supporting Linux.

a good point indeed. I am a "web developer" and I miss dreamweaver. There are equivalent softwares like quanta and kate but they are just not as good as dreamweaver. When it comes to reference, dreamweaver is great 🙂

i hate not being able to have access to adobe/macromedia app on linux. this should change in the next couple of years.

I feel the same way for MS Office, I badly need Data Analytics that comes with Excel. OpenOffice Calc is not that capable (yet).Though Writer is good enough for everyday use. But not sure if it is powerful enough for advanced documents like writing a thesis. Features like automatic index and Table of contents generation are helpful in Word.

posting in the wrong thread!!!but since the discussion has gone off topic..I was just curious to know whether anyone has developed a pacenet dialer to work in linuxjust like some people have made an alternative sify client....Also i feel that linux is ready for the desktop...only that people are used to seeing "my computer" (whoever said it wasnt theirs!!) since they first held the mouse, they are just not ready to make the move.