New jio fiber connection - How to patch/connect fiber and cat6 cables ?

• Thread starter Thread starter amaravati
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 15,196
ISP
Reliance Jio Fiber
Ahoy Peeps,

I am taking a new connection from Jio Fiber. In my apartment, cat6 cables were laid into homes from network room in the ground floor. Since Jio is built on GPON network and it needs Gpon-ONT device at home as in fiber to home theoretically.

Currently my option is to place ONT/ONU device in the network room and plug RJ45 to the ONT and use internet at my home and connect twisted pair to ONT and use phone too. This is insecure as ONT is left open in the network room and anyone can connect to the device and use internet.

Is it possible to patch the fiber with SFP-to-RJ45 module in the network room and use RJ45-to-SFP module to bring it back to fiber mode and have the ONT device at home?

@varkey The camera position is such that the pipe cannot pass from one side to other side through wall because area is open and pipe can only pass through RCC ceiling which is the shortest possible way.
Length of pipe on ceiling would be around 10 feet. For atleast 5 Ethernet cables, 1 inch pipe would be use. So, 1.5 inch deep and 10feet long drain like path need to cut through RRC ceiling for underground pvc pipe. Do you think it is possible ?

Upvote 0
Yes, I meant pulling the cable through the existing concealed conduits which is relatively easy. You can even use the existing CAT6 to pull the fiber through the same conduit, in case it cannot hold one more cable.

No, since this is xPON, you'd not be able to use a media converter etc.

Similar thing was done in our apartment.

S.K

Upvote 0
@varkey The camera position is such that the pipe cannot pass from one side to other side through wall because area is open and pipe can only pass through RCC ceiling which is the shortest possible way.
Length of pipe on ceiling would be around 10 feet. For atleast 5 Ethernet cables, 1 inch pipe would be use. So, 1.5 inch deep and 10feet long drain like path need to cut through RRC ceiling for underground pvc pipe. Do you think it is possible ?

I think drilling hole (to pass PVC) through RCC is not good idea. But you can consult some civil engineer so that you make sure that drilling does not harm the strength of the wall. But as @varkey suggested going with wireless cameras is better option if you can't drill this big.

Upvote 0