New ISP and New Modem needed..

• Thread starter Thread starter ravi7
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 2,044
ISP
BSNL
Hey everyone
I just shifted to Punjab..near DeraBassi..I'm searching for a new ISP and from the reviews i heard that Connect was providing good service..But i found out that they don't have feasibility in my area..So all i'm left with is BSNL and airtel..I'm inclined towards BSNL as it is cheaper but please guide me..
ALso more importantly i have never used modem/router as previously i used reliance dongle for my net connection issues..but that broke down and now i need a new modem cum router too..
BSNL is providing me the modem and charging 1800 for it but i don't think that modem would be too good..
SO here i am for your opinions and advice and these are the modems i'm looking forward to buy but finding impossible to decide..
https://www.flipkart.com/router/compare?ids=RTRDGGQ754BDWH7U,RTRD4KY4UNGYCZFG,RTRDFFYG3HZJRTYV
I have my inclination towards TP-Link router as i have seen very good reviews for it..
but their
Standard IEEE IEEE 802.3u, IEEE 802.3
^ this thing is confusing me as all others are supporting different protocol that is 802.11 b/g/n ...SO please guide me if i should go ahead with BSNL and the above mentioned modem or not??
Also what modem do BSNL provide??Is the modem that i'm browsing as indicated in link above compatible with them??I'm a newbie when it comes to modems and routers so please excuse for any blunders..
I would appreciate all the help..

BSNL provides Teracom modems. If you are going to connect your decices using wire (Ethernet cables), then buy the modem from BSNL. But if you want a wifi modem, then my personal recommendation (for BSNL connection) will be [color=rgb(11,11,11);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:17px;]Asus Wireless-N150 ADSL Modem Router (DSL-N10E). However if you have to buy from the four choices you provided, the I'd say, go for the D-Link one. [/color]

^@Rajat _ Thanks for the reply🙂
But i still have some queries ..
BSNL guys told me that they would provide me wifi modem...but they didn't tell the model make.. 🙁 can you please tell me which particular wi-fi modem they provide?
Also regarding my main query about choice of modem..(thanks for the suggestion..wtg😉 )..i wish to understand why is the D-Link modem the best put of given choices and regarding my confusion over internet protocol supported by the TP-Link modem..is that gonna be an issue with bsnl or any other ISP??..Is the tp-link modem not compatible with broadband connection of bsnl or any other network due to its 802.3u thing as opposed to 802.11b/g/n supported by other modems..please help me understand as i want a modem that is compatible with everything and good..if the modems i provided the link to in my 1st post are not fulfilling that purpose please let me know as i have almost no knowledge about these things..My cousin suggested me the tP-link one and i read the reviews and it looks like a good modem(signal strength wise and everything else too) but i just wanted to be sure if there is better option available...and also if that tp link is indeed compatible or i be wasting money on that?also please tell me why is d-link a better modem than tp-link as you suggested above?..
..also regarding the suggestion provided above by Rajat.the Asus one..that is not compatible with IPv6...won't that be an issue since all the recent IP addresses and stuff are shifting to IPv6?..
please guide and thanks very much for the help so far🙂

If you ask them for non VOIP wifi modem, the BSNL people will provide you Teracom TDSL300W2 which I would say is a neither too good nor too bad kind of product. The reason why I suggested Asus and D-Link models is BSNL line quality isn't up to the mark most of the times, and Asus model that I suggested above (in my opinion), performs quite well even with low SNR margins.I've also heard some good words about the D Link model as well. Now as far as TP-Link is concerned, I don't know much about it. From compatibility point of view, all ADSL modems will be compatible with BSNL BB.

^^Thank you once again Rajat for your prompt and helpful reply🙂
D-Link official site is down atm..i will again do a thorough compare and let you guys know if i have any doubts remaining..
If all the ADSL modems are compatible with BSNL i would try to get minimum 2 antennas and this has to be either D-link or TP-Link or Net-gear...
one more thing that i liked about TP-link is its antenna range of 5dBi while all others have a range of only 3dBi alongwith USB port which is missing from many other modems(although i honestly don't know how to use that usb port in that model except for usb modem purpose)..
I just hope that it is good and compatible(with all ISPs) and a good long term investment 😛leasantry: ..
or do these modems have a shell life after which they break down beyond repairs?? :nonchalance:
Thanks again for the helpful post Rajat and if others too have a word of advise to share;then please do..Any suggestions and advice are welcome..