• Views Views 9,062

kickass

Super Adm1n
ISP
Mtnl VDSL, Vodafone 3G
2yozG2C.png

Welcome change but only for three months. 😛

tgOKsae.png

I bet these guys will be finished once Jio FTTH is launched.

lol.. they are testing the waters now. they have no choice but to make it permanent. even then i dont know who will use it if jio ftth goes live!

They have also increased the prices of their FTTH plans. Looks like they have not given up their plan of milking FTTH instead of switching over to it in a big way

On side note - they have even increased MBs' in 3G mobile plans.

MTNL has harassed people enough....... now they will die their own slow death......

MTNL has been good for me ... Landline, internet and mobile (with decent data plan)

Was there ever consideration for customer....... MTNL has always been there for corrupt, incompetent, inefficient babus......

It is now they are waking up, when their own existence is at stake......

MTNL deserves to die.......

BSNL is much better than MTNL....

My problem has always been solved mostly within 30mins!

Maximum half day

In rare cases it took 2 days.

Hardly 5-7 complaints in last 5-7 yrs!

They have also increased the prices of their FTTH plans. Looks like they have not given up their plan of milking FTTH instead of switching over to it in a big way
Are baba there is no such thing as MTNL FTTH. It doesn't exist. The plans are website only and to feel proud that it has launched. Actually there is no fiber laid anywhere in Mumbai for residential/commercial connections. Only the exchanges are connected by fiber only because of majboori. Few odd societies in front of telephone exchanges have got lucky but most don't bother because of ridiculous pricing.

Ek bada anda hai yeh MTNL FTTH. 😀

I really don't know why people cuss so much about MTNL.

For me any complaint is addressed in less than 1 hour (even though its fixed in <1 hr, they call 5-6hrs later to ask if its fixed)

They are probably the only ISP in Mumbai which has stayed at reasonable price at decent FUP and no fucking around with other shit.

For people who keep saying their connection is bad, they just need to get shit sorted from their line which connects them to the exchange to their home line. Shit will get good for you too.
I've been using MTNL for about 8-9 years and I never really have had any major issues which couldn't get fixed. I think only once few years back my internet was down for about 2-3 days but that was because they shifted their exchange and had dug up and uprooted the lines to upgrade them.

Yes, there are ISPs at the same cost with double the speed but they have really awful FUP plans. Example, I cannot shift to a 50mbps connection and just be okay with 100GB. People forget once you are on 50mbps you gonna start streaming everything HD, the 100GB which was good at 10mbps ain't gonna be great at higher speeds. The more the speed the more data you consume without even trying. And worse of all these FUPs bring you down to a terrible 512kbps or so which is not even decent to load websites.

I really don't trust RIL that I would blindly jump like everyone is doing. RIL has been cheating people since they launched the monsoon offer (remember the 501 offer?!).

Any new ISP that has really good plans is limited to certain areas or regions, if you are lucky to be in it then there is a good reason for you to do so otherwise most other ISPs are terribly playing with your money with their sneaky T&C which you will suffer to in few months of using it.

I second that brother, that monsoon 501 offer of July 2003 with white samsung phone having blue screen was a rage much like what jio is today. Only few old timers would know about that. That's how RIL generates hype but unable to sustain later on

My local isp dvois ssv offers unlimited 2 mbps at around 650 rs , thats less than what I pay for my combo plan, yet I haven't switched for the sole reason of 99% uptime offered by mtnl ,simply have got used to it . Am well versed with SSV's previous avatar as 'sify broadband' their downtime > uptime . Even to fix the recurring issues seemed like begging.

My local ISP keeps telling me to switch to him and he says he will price match my MTNL plan for double the speed. And keeps telling me you can get everything from the 'hub' don't worry about limit and stuff. Its practically unlimited.
When I tell me can be guarantee me 20mbps dedicated speed or even 10mbps dedicated with his plan? He says its upto X speed, will fluctuate. What he fails to understand is, gone are the days when internet is only used to download movies and shows etc. When I pay for certain speed I expect the ISP to give me that much speed and not fuck around with the 'upto' bullshit.
Oh ya local ISPs have bad downtimes, and it takes hours for it to come back up for some reason.

Last edited:
I really don't know why people cuss so much about MTNL.

For me any complaint is addressed in less than 1 hour (even though its fixed in <1 hr, they call 5-6hrs later to ask if its fixed)

They are probably the only ISP in Mumbai which has stayed at reasonable price at decent FUP and no fucking around with other shit.

People cuss MTNL because
  • They are the costliest broadband provider in Mumbai.
  • Their FUP caps are too costly.
  • They will never be able to upgrade their broadband speeds beyond 16 Mbps. That's the limit of ADSL2+ technology on ancient copper wiring.
  • They will never give FTTH connection to 90% of Mumbai citing feasibility reasons. In short they are cash strapped for unknown reasons.
  • They have no direct control over international bandwidth and no submarine cables like Jio, Airtel, Tata, etc.
  • Once a pioneer in mid 2000s, now they are just a shadow of their former self.

There is absolutely nothing exciting happening on MTNL's end and there is zero hype. People just ignore them. This is the reason you can see no activity in this MTNL Broadband sub forum. People have moved over to better alternatives or are just damn bored.

If FUP matters to you, then MTNL isn't the costliest broadband provider. There are hardly any ISPs which give your 1Mbps and above on your FUP plans with accessibility like MTNL does. Every other cheaper ISP has their caveats which are horrible. Most ISPs aren't yet able to reach places where people want them to, that is why MTNL is still being used by a lot of people (which don't come to sub). MTNL despite being in the old age and stuck in it is the only provider that right now can reach any region/area/locaility, so people have it you just don't know them. They have been losing their customers to new ISPs but these ISPs have been very patheticly growing with plans as horrible as beyond FUP your 16mbps connection goes down to 512kbps.
So other ISPs which are widely available are horrible with their service and FUP.

FYI, even though ADSL2+ is limited to 16mbps, they can only provide till 6mbps without adding a box which acts like a wired range extender to provide anything speed beyond that. Any plan above 6mbps beyond a certain distance from the exchange needs a different box to extend it.

I did say 'too good to be true' ISPs are very limited to the areas their provide service to.

MTNL and BSNL did form a JV few years back to get the submarine cables system for themselves. Read MTL (http://mtnl.in/joint_ventures.htm)

All I am saying is all the complaints you mentioned are issues with our country's internet system and not just MTNL.
- You want affordable ISP? You have to pay for terrible FUP
- You want higher FUP cap? Pay high to any ISP or select a plan for a 512kbps after FUP.

The point about cussing to MTNL wasn't their technological stagnation, it was about people complaining about MTNL for things which don't exist. If one wants to complaint about them so much just switch, which they probably can't or aren't able to as there isn't an option left for them. I honestly try to switch away from MTNL everytime I see a flyer from a new ISP but they either have horrible FUP plans or they don't reach my area. None still come close to providing/guaranteeing me a good speed and FUP limit like MTNL does right now.