New Desktop Computer

• Thread starter Thread starter snpexim
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 9,290
well I dont understand what Microsoft has done here....You need a supercomputer to run just the OS!!! ANd more for the apps you will run..Man I never understand that...!!!BTW , is there any option in Vista so that I can reduce /eliminate the eye candy and use it on my good old machine?

I hope ppl will come with utilities to perform lobotomy on Vista. E.g. this utility can make XP leaner.

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

I guess Vista has options to reduce its eye candy so it can be run on older PCs. Vista was some pretty advanced stuff on the drawing board and it has remained that way. The actual version of Vista has less that 1/10th the features of what was originally planned.

We have diverted from my issue of costing for a Intel Pentium D930 processor mated to an Intel D945GPM mobo with 2x512 MB DDR2 SDRAM 533 dual channel memory system. Assuming a good front use cabinet with 350 Watt PS, what would be the budget for next month. Alternately ... I have been surfing a bit ... how about budget for a AMD Socket AM2 Athlon 64 X2 processor 3800+ mated to a M2NPV-MX Asus amd mobo and the same memory and cabinet as above. I find that none of the sites give proper pricing for AMD. Oh yes, forget about Microsoft Vista Beta2, its actually epsilon (alpha, beta, delta, gamma, epsilon). The wise will wait and wait till all the 'service packs' are in before loading up. Best wishes.

QUOTE(Hubmeister @ Jun 3 2006, 02:42 AM) [snapback]53060[/snapback]
If you love your PC don't put in Tv tuner card in it!

1. It makes your cpu 100% in use.
2. It decreases the life of your computer.

It's My personel experience man.
[/b]

You're joking right. It most certianly does not make your CPU reach 100%. Infact, if you are using your pc, without using the tv tuner card, it will have minimal increase in cpu usage from the usual.

Using the TV tuner card, should give you about 30% - 60% if a software decoder is used. Timeshifting will again increase it slightly more, but even then your system should be stable and trouble free.

Point two is the stupidest thing i've heard. How exactly can it reduce the life of your computer? There's a few things that can damage a pc (besides obvoius things like water/ physical impact)

1) Heat
2) Dust, which leads to heat
3) power surges and other power issues

These are the three main issues. A TV tuner card will not in any way reduce the life of ur pc.

Don't just make up BS and post on the forums and misinform other people.

I'd be looking into AMD FX series of processors, or even the AM2 for a cost saving. They are far cheaper than Intel's Pentium D series and perform better for most uses (games etc.)

I'd be looking into AMD FX series of processors, or even the AM2 for a cost saving. They are far cheaper than Intel's Pentium D series and perform better for most uses (games etc.)

I'd wait a couple of months for Intel's spanking new Core 2 Duo processors to arrive in India and the prices to settle. From what i've read, they beat the crap out of AMD's FX series. Seems like the balance of power in the desktop processor segment has shifted back in Intel's favour and this time decisively so. This is the first time in years that Intel holds a clear performance advantage over AMD.

QUOTE(waterloo_sunset @ Jul 17 2006, 09:10 AM) [snapback]55955[/snapback]
I'd wait a couple of months for Intel's spanking new Core 2 Duo processors to arrive in India and the prices to settle. From what i've read, they beat the crap out of AMD's FX series. Seems like the balance of power in the desktop processor segment has shifted back in Intel's favour and this time decisively so. This is the first time in years that Intel holds a clear performance advantage over AMD.
[/b]

Waiting a few days/ a week or two is fine. Waiting a few months is stupid in my opinion. If you wait a further few months, im sure AMD will come up with another processor and so on and so forth, and you'd be forever waiting.

A few months isn't really 'around the corner' so to speak.

Secondly, even if the Intel one comes out better than the FX series, it will probably cost twice as much 😉 Value for money and excellent performance > AMD

Competetion is Good 🙂Hopefully these Procs will enable PCs to encode and burn DVDs in minutes.

Waiting a few days/ a week or two is fine. Waiting a few months is stupid in my opinion. If you wait a further few months, im sure AMD will come up with another processor and so on and so forth, and you'd be forever waiting. [/b]

True if ur requirements are urgent. But for someone just lookin to upgrade it makes sense especially if ur keen on a high end system since Core 2 Duo will offer a considerable boost in performance and make the current processors look like antiques. The official launch date is 27th July but one can safely assume it'll take a month or two atleast for it to start shipping to India and become readily available. AMD's new line won't be out until 2007.

Even for people on a budget, my advice would be to wait till August atleast coz both Intel and AMD are gonna announce massive price cuts on their current line of processors (upto 50%!!) come end of July, but again it'll take a couple of weeks for them to take effect here.

Secondly, even if the Intel one comes out better than the FX series, it will probably cost twice as much wink.gif Value for money and excellent performance > AMD[/b]

Pricing

-Intel's top of the line Core 2 Extreme X6800 - $999 (launch price)
-AMD's corresponding Athlon 64 FX-62 - $1100 (current retail price)

Performance

X6800 outscores the 64FX-62 by an average 20% in all benchmarks. Even the E6600 ($316) beats the 64FX-62 in many benchmarks.

Power Consumption

Core 2 Extreme X6800 - 75 W
Athlon 64 FX-62 - 125 W

Anythin else? 😛

As the guys here said before,I would recommend to wait two weeks,then there will be new conroe's (core 2 duo) launched and there will be massive price cuts for netburst mp's (p4s). (despite the fact that intel is doing the massive rampup of new core's in history,none expects to satisfy the demand of new core 2 duo's)Kentsfield samples are already buzzing around,so its benchmarks.I expect AMD to cut prices too,else they are dead 😛 .

QUOTE(waterloo_sunset @ Jul 17 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]55968[/snapback]
Anythin else? 😛
[/b]

Lol fair enough, as i said, i wasn't aware of it, and i was just speaking from presumptions. Intel are usually more expensive, and if its' 2 weeks it's worth the wait. If it's somethin like a month or two, i'm not so sure.

It seems you guys have not noticed that even in an agressive market like Mumbai, the processor that is currently being promoted is D805. This is the joke. They have not heard about D930. Most assemblers and techies advice ... get your Mobo, Processor and Memory from Dubai, it is tax and duty free, forget Hongkong and Singapore. The local Mumbai market says wait for three months for D930. Those who are aware of these beauties, are asking astronomical prices for them .... USD 300 instead of USD 175. This is the other joke. In view of this I wonder if Core 2 Duo, E6600, X6800 will be in the shops before December. I suppose I will be waiting for ever. Comments.

Hmm well, here in australia the D960 is available already and so is the Duo X6800The X6800 is very steeply priced though. Let's just say, i could build an entire PC using an AMD 64 3500+ chip, 2gb ram, 5.1 speakers, 19inch lcdcordless k/b mouse, 250gb hdd, 256mb ati radeon graphics for around the same price.

Some external TV tuner cards shoots back current. Make sure you check it while buying it as the back current damages the spliter of the cable line to your premises.