• Thread starter Thread starter tech_enthu
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 9,650

tech_enthu

Regulars
ISP
BSNL
A friend of mine recently purchased a Dell pc. The story is quite interesting. Just bear with me, it is a bit longish. 1. A model was selected on line from the dell site. Quote was sent by email, and chased by a marketing engineer by regular phone calls.2. Within 3 days of the quote, there was a press ad. and a better model was available.3. Contacted the marketing man for a new quotation, change of options etc. He had to be told ref. no from the ad; he was not able to locate it himself.4. Model selected (about Rs. 38000) and order faxed to Bangalore. (5 sep 07)5. Payment: The marketing man wanted a crossed draft or wanted the credit card number (which obviously was refused). There is no provision to pay on line. After calls and emails, a bank account no. was given for money transfer.6. Now the order was accepted and acknowledged by email. Follow up is to be done by checking the dell site. It has several stages - factory manufacture and dispatch - on transit - receipt at local warehouse - delivery - installation.7. The computer was dispatched from Singapore on 8 sep and was in transit for about 3 weeks. 8. Three days after placing the order, the web site had a model with higher processing power but at a lesser price (by about 4000). Dell’s marketing man became incommunicado, was not answering the phone or replying to emails. Even the group leader was evasive and offered to resolve the issue as soon as possible. 9. Bingo, the higher-end model at lesser price vanished from the web site; the marketing man was not aware of any such model; he insisted that my friend should have made a screen copy of the offer as this kind of web mistakes occur sometimes. 10. There was another equivalent model at a lesser price (7000), but not recommended by the marketing man. When confronted he said that that the model is manufactured in India and when all the taxes are added, it may cost the same. He offered to send a quotation, but never did. End of all communication. 11. No response from Dell India on complaints sent by email. Total silence from all sides; my friend also gave up. 12. Computer delivered on 24/09 by courier. 13. Message from dell on 27/09 that the computer is in transit and expected delivery date is 3/10. 14. After waiting for 3 days, my friend opened the packing, connected everything and powered it up. All documentation was perfect, so powering up was a breeze. Everything was perfect. 15. A service engineer called around 10th oct; when told that the comp is already up, asked whether a visit was necessary. When queried whether dell will refund the installation and commissioning charges (1500), he offered to visit and check everything, as refund is . 16. He visited, checked and signed the commissioning report “Powered up by the customer and everything is fine.” 17. The computer is working well, and my friend is very happy with the hardware and performance. 18. On 26 Oct, late evening, he faced a problem – internet connectivity related, ip address clash – caused by meddling with the settings. When dell tel. assistance was sought, he got this recorded message – This service is available only during normal working hours, Monday to Friday. Please contact on Monday. Moral when dealing with Dell: 1. You must be computer savvy or a total novice to select a model for ordering, as you will not get any help from Dell in selection. 2. After placing the order and making payment, you have to wait and wring your hands. Delivery and installation will happen at Dell’s pleasure. 3. You must have faith in God and prayers and hope that the comp does not break down, especially on Friday evening. I am sorry this has become a long posting. I have tried to condense it as much as I can.

I'm a Happy Dell customer (hehe never introduced like this anywhere b4). bought a 640m Inspiron @ 60k last yr during August.

Ya its quite right that u shud know what you are doing if you want to configure and order in the Dell website. the customer service rep will just confirm things on the phone and if you ask any suggestion they cant say much as they are just call center ppl. The Dell international website is more intutive compared to ours but its not for us 🙁

and right from the day I purchased till today no probs whatsoever (windows hangs very rarely) so I did not have the need to ask for support. whatever extreme treatment u can give to a laptop I have done that and the Dell is amazingly reliable. countless number of days it was out in the open (in the coll lawns, benches, canteen etc) when we were working for our final yr project. add to it numerous hours of counterstrike and warcraft. fiddled with ubuntu - installed, used for a few months then removed due to lack of space 🙁 . and highest uptime was around 4 days, I guess for downloading kammand and kanquar tybarium warz (misspelling intended 😛 )

and it is always common that once you buy a comp or pc obviously theres going to be a one with better superb config with low price hehehe

thats the way tech and murphy's laws work 😉

I'm a Happy Dell customer
it is always common that once you buy a comp or pc obviously theres going to be a one with better superb config with low price hehehe
thats the way tech and murphy's laws work 😉

It is fine if you get the pc and use it at least for a couple of days. Here it happens even before you have a sly look at it. I agree with the rest.

^^^hahaha thats sad.... if it has to be avoided just dont configure any offer that is going to expire soon.. wait till the offers expire and when a new set of offers are posted order them bcos that will last for quite a no of days 😀

Technically speaking, one you have accepted their offer, the contract of sale between you is final. The fact that your friend even paid for it indisputably shows that the contract is final. So now, legally speaking, you can't opt for another model unless Dell consents. And if they perform their side of the contract (i.e. deliver the computer in good shape) then that is that. It is totally up to their discretion if they are nice enough to upgrade you to the new model.

However, did Dell give you a delivery date at the time of purchase, and if so, did they stick to it? If not, you should have from your side asked for the same.

But thanks for posting your experience. It is useful to know what to look out for when dealing with them!

I also got my Dell desktop yesterday ... As far as pc is concerned the build quality and components used r of very high quality .... But I am not satisfied with their customer care at all ... Everytime u call them to ask abt ur product status they keep on increasing the delivery time ... Mine was scheduled to be delivered on 29th but got it on 30th ... One day is not much ... But still they should have called me before coming to my home for delivering the product ... So tht I could have checked all the components ... Also they charge me Rs.800 for installation and there was no guy to do the installation .. Although I did tht myself but for wht they charged me Rs.800 ... When I ask customer care abt this they told me installation guy will come after 3-4 days ... So i told them tht I have got it installed myself and I want refund of tht money ... But they refused and said tht I shouldn't have selected tht option while configuring ... But truth is tht I did unchecked tht option and the site refused to proceed until I check tht box ... Needless to say customer care denies tht .. Other thing is tht when payment is made by credit card they even ask for cvv number ... They should have made some option to make payments online ... So in short their products r very nice and of top quality but they need to improve a lot with customer satisfaction...

not accepting payment online is certainly surprising.my LCD had no manual installation fee option.nothing was charged.dude called me before landing at my place.even if he had landed before i did, he would not have found anyone else.it was delivered before the promised date to me.

They ask you this question twice or thrice whether it is for our personal use or selling. dunno how this will help but just telling 😀 leave their product but the Dell website is crap. configuring and ordering itself is a tedious process and most of the time when i want to check what a particular config costs, their site is down. only god knows what will happen if they also have a payment gateway. I really dunno how long people (including international customers) will put up with the crap call centers in India. Its about time real tech people answers queries and not some call center guy reading from scripts. i hate those courtesy lines 🙁 . and about cc, if you buy a XPS product the customer support is different I guess 😉 . also the technical support for servers is great from what i have heard. its the general customers that get the shaft 😛

its hard to get real techies to do customer support. usually a techie is not a social creature and dislikes talking to regular people let alone a freakin' customer 🙂so you get non-techie college kids who want to earn some quick pocket money to buy the latest mobile phones working in these call centres

i was in a "customer facing" technical support role for nearly 2 yrs and god was it hell... heh

Also they charge me Rs.800 for installation and there was no guy to do the installation .. Although I did tht myself but for wht they charged me Rs.800 ... When I ask customer care abt this they told me installation guy will come after 3-4 days ... So i told them tht I have got it installed myself and I want refund of tht money ... But they refused and said tht I shouldn't have selected tht option while configuring ... But truth is tht I did unchecked tht option and the site refused to proceed until I check tht box ... Needless to say customer care denies tht .. Other thing is tht when payment is made by credit card they even ask for cvv number

Same story. Installation is charged compulsorily and cannot be bypassed. The sales guy wanted the CVV no. of the credit card for validating credit card payment? How funny?

ya nothing to beat the total control you have over what parts to put into an assembled pc 🙂 not to mention its cheaper too

assembled rocks for me!!! :thumbsup:

you assemble laptops ??? 😛

i was in a "customer facing" technical support role for nearly 2 yrs and god was it hell... heh
:rofl::rofl:

customer facing in da sense ?? u meet face to face ?? or just tech support over phone

nah not face-face (thankfully), it was phone/email."customer facing" is a general term used for any role where you interact directly with your company's customers, whatever the mode...