1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Delhi ISP suggestion for consumer/commercial usage

Discussion in 'Discuss (Broadband Services)' started by Julien, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Julien

Julien Newbie

Hello everyone, Going to settle down in New Delhi, I am searching for a company which provides service of unlimited data transfer and fast/stable connection speed.Currently, I am living in Germany where is a wide network of ISP offering DSL connections detailed as same as you can see from my signature picture... for prices of about €30 per month. (~2,000 RPs). Although, I searched this board, I am not sure Airtel is really the only provider offering that fast connection speed in Delhi (?). Their monthly rates are really terrifying me. What can I expect for 2,000 RPs? A scoop of ice cream? :yahoo:Thank you in forward for helping me...

2. iChaitanya

iChaitanya Well-Known Member
    Regulars

Hello Julien!

Well firstly you'll have to lower your expectations. Secondly in Rs. 2222 (€34) per month, you can get an Airtel 1 Mbps unlimited connection. The maximum you can get is a 1 Mbps unlimited. There isn't any 13 Mbps (or even 2 Mbps) unlimited connection in India as of now!

MTNL has a 2 Mbps unlimited plan but it costs a fortune (€306) per month.

I think you should stick with this Airtel 2222 option as of now. And who knows, maybe in a couple of months a scoop of ice cream might cost Rs. 2k :p

I am in love with your 13 Mbps speed and that sweet 13 ms ping. :redface:

3. Julien

Julien Newbie

Hello iChaitanya, Thanks for your immediate reply. You are right. I should live with it until there is a better solution. Maybe, I should look into HSDPA or UMTS, too... Is there any infrastructure in New Delhi? Any affordable mobile solution?

BTW, Germany has started with VDSL. (Very High Bitrate Digital Subscriber Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) - we both can fall in love with 50 MBit/s speed :redface:
    Just kidding.. I do not need any higher speed.. Imho, 50 MBit/s is neccessary for IPTV only...

4. DrSRQ

DrSRQ Active Member
    Regulars

Hello iChaitanya, Thanks for your immediate reply. You are right. I should live with it until there is a better solution. Maybe, I should look into HSDPA or UMTS, too... Is there any infrastructure in New Delhi? Any affordable mobile solution?

BTW, Germany has started with VDSL. (Very High Bitrate Digital Subscriber Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) - we both can fall in love with 50 MBit/s speed :redface:
    Just kidding.. I do not need any higher speed.. Imho, 50 MBit/s is neccessary for IPTV only...

No 3G in India as of now so forget about it...Airtel offers upto 25KB/s speed on EDGE for 600INR on post paid. Best is to go for Airtel DSL 2222 plan.

Why do you want to compare your county's speed with India? Why don't you compare it with Japan/Korea?? You are still very much behind when compared to other "DEVELOPED" nations!

5. iChaitanya

iChaitanya Well-Known Member
    Regulars

:redface:

Btw, There's no HSDPA or UMTS anywhere in India as of now. UMTS is expected to be launched by Jan 2009 in all the metros.

BSNL has launched UMTS on an experimental basis in Pune (that's where I live) but I guess at this stage it's useless.

The only mobile solution is EDGE which gives speeds like 12 KBps. :confused:
    Better go ahead with Airtel 2222 as I mentioned earlier. I am also migrating to Airtel in a couple of days. :)

6. Julien

Julien Newbie

I do not compare Germany with India specially for reason of usability on surfing websites manually.... While developing crawling software for the web for reason of research it is most important to me to finish a job within a few hours not to spend too much time on it... I know, infrastructure of Japan is much more developed than ours in Germany, although that does not help me finding a good solution for India... I am going to try Airtel first as you have mentioned... Thank you... :) I have asked about UMTS because of articles like this: Motorola Wins India’s First 3G UMTS Contract from MTNL Motorola seems to own some licences on UMTS and this articles was written in 2007. That's why I have posted my question on UMTS....

7. Sushubh

Sushubh Administrator
    Moderators Regulars

india does not even have decent speeds on the edge networks. 3g would take ages to become a viable option for us customers. airtel is your best bet.