New connection

powdermonkey

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
I 'll be opting for MTNLs Triband connection with 256kbps.ADSL connections cannot be shared ,so will i get the promised speed of 256kbps?I 'll be frequently downloading mp3s off the net, so wht 'll be the max download speed tht i can get ??Also i want to know about hardware firewalls....which is the best firewall to use?Thx in advance.@(-_-)@

The downloading speed depends upon many factors like speed of your connection at a particular time, the speed of the server from where you are downloading and of course your computer spped. I am having the same connection (256) from BSNL at Ranchi and generally I get 30 to 70 kbps download spped. Yes, of course sometimes it croses 100 kbps but remember sometimes..One more thing I would like to remind you. As you have mentioned you will be downloading Mp3s, keep in mind the fact that the limitation is only 1GB per month.Frequent downloading MP3 would land you somewhere 8 - 10 GBs per month and just think of the bill that you will receive at the end of the month. My suggestion would be if the BSNL/MTNL do not change their plan, go for other plan or other ISP which offer unlimited downlaod/upload. As far as firewall is concerned, I am using Bitdefender 8 Prefessional Plus and it working fine.

I 'll b downloading mp3s upto a limit.Yep' the limitation is 400MB..does tht 'll also include the cache files or the downloaded mp3s,programs alone ??..but i 'll be upgrading to unlimited download maybe 512kbps later@(-_-)@

I m sure there is a plan to do so...Yep i was wrong..i mistaken it for unlimited access!!Does the limitation of 400MB also includes Cache files?

No Cache files are never included......in terms of data transfer Sify is providing 1GB@ 256 kbps @Rs 550 .Maybe MTNL will offer that soon but there is no unlimited plan

::Cache files used to store information on a temporary basis for quick access.Everything you see or hear in Webpages(images,flash,midis even embedded videos) are stored in Temporary Internet Files folder(if you use IE)....BTW thx boygr8 for the reply.Edit:But i dont think the speed 'll remain constant for such cable n/w.

Can you take a thing in light spirits ...........if so then read below

After 30th June, 1st July will start.

I think tech-junkies like us have forgot to discriminate between a joke and a statement !