• Thread starter Thread starter rajil.s
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 8,061
ISP
BSNL
Hello

I am moving from BSNL to Airtel and had a few questions:
1. Can I continue to use my model+ADSL router as before or does Airtel force their own router?
2. Does Airtel share the PPP username and password?
3. What VPI ans VCI setting do i need for Airtel? With BSNL i was using VPI=0 and VCI=35, along with the model in bridged mode.

Anything else should i be aware about?

Thanks

BSNL modem should work fine on Airtel.
Some folks have reported that the sales guy force the router on you. It is not mandatory.
Airtel folks around here do give you the username and password. The guy who came to my place even saved it in a text file on my desktop. You can always take it from the modem backend. Assuming the modem saves the username and password in plain text which Airtel's own modems usually do.
@x720 should know the settings. Airtel guy should be able to give this info as well.

What to be aware of...

Keep an eye on data usage on the SmartBytes page.
Keep an eye on online forums for secretive plans and try to go for them.
Apart from that... I doubt there is much to worry about. Airtel is know to give speeds higher than the plans unlike other operators which try as hard as possible to deliver around 80% of the advertised speeds. For example... I rarely get above 3.2mbps on my Reliance Broadband connection. But I almost always get >4mbps on my Airtel's line.

I am guessing SmartBytes is a webpage to lookup about data consumed. I hated BSNL FUP page where one had to manually 'accept' or 'decline' the increase in speed. I hope Airtel doesnt work like that.

On my BSNL the PPP username was custom one (linked to telephone number) but the password was always 'password'. Does Airtel have a custom password?

Is it possible to get a modem only from Airtel? I dont need their router since I will continue to use mine. I just need a modem which can be put in bridged mode.

Airtel had a system like that. It would randomly redirect to their Smartbytes page and ask you to select an option. BSNL basically ripped off the exact system. Though from what i hear, they no longer do that. But I cannot be sure. Airtel is my backup connection and I rarely end up consuming 80% of the bandwidth these days.

BTW. Airtel's settings appear to be VC 1/32.

My user id is: PHONENUMBER_dsl@airtelbroadband.in
Password is: My Account Number

Both numbers can easily be retrieved from the tweets I end up sharing here or there 😛

I believe Airtel gives out D-Link router for free if you go for a plan that costs Rs. 1000 or more. At least I got that shitty router for free. I am sure they would let you opt for a basic modem though I suggest getting something of your own.

Airtel is know to give speeds higher than the plans
My experience has been different. Recently bought Airtel's ADSL broadband. Took 16 Mbps plan, tested speed on speedtest.net : was coming around 7 Mbps download and around 0.7 Mbps upload for 16 Mbps plan. I'm in Delhi and on speedtest.net I manually selected "Bharti Airtel Ltd" Delhi server. Contacted customer care at 121@in.airtel.com , then at nodal.ncr@in.airtel.com , had frustrating experience with both customer cares, still having speed problem.

ah well. 16mbps is a different thing altogether. you are getting close to the limitations of the technology and quality of wiring and distance from the nearest box etc. matter much. my experience is based on 4mbps and slower connections where it is easy to offer a buffer. you should still get at least 80% of 16mbps to their own local speedtest.net servers in your area.

Reactions: hyu
@hyu check again by logging into your airtel account.
sales guy could have tricked you into word game. I think you are on 8mbps plan because Airtel wont promise you speed if not feasible.
Like in my case I was told upfront that max I would get is 8mbps not 16mbps even when the plan was upto 16mbps.
They have got same plan name with different names for sake of feasible speeds. like 1399plan has 16mbps, 8mbps, 4mbps and 2mbps variant. speed is written within the plan name.
Better call cc and ask how much max speed your line is eligible for.

@igloo Thanks for your replies on my both the posts (especially changing DNS in Airtel's router). I called CC after your suggestion, CC said plan is 16 Mbps; I complained about speed; CC said it's because of problem in undersea cable; I said I tested speed with Airtel's local server (inside of Delhi to inside of Delhi) and not with some international server so how would undersea cable affect my speed; "sir this is the status report we've, please wait for today for problem to get resolved"; alright, what minimum upload speed I should get according to plan, CC said they don't promise any upload speed.
So okay I can test download speed tomorrow.

Login here using registered mobile no.
click on your phone no in blue
next my current plan tab
its is shwoing me this
Airtel-UL-Rapid 1399 25GB (8MBPS/512KBPS) Combo Plan

Also from 192.168.1.1

my stats
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin
:
18.4 11.5 db
Line Attenuation
:
19.6 9.9 db
Data Rate
:
10240 863 kbps
Attainable Rate
:
21504 24364 kbps
Out Power
:
19.3 12.4 dbm

my speedtest result

Post all three details here

Router_ADSL_20160320.png

Signing in to Airtel account, it asked me for OTP but the mobile number we gave -- there's currently a problem with its SIM card. The problem with SIM card is that it was made smaller in size for new mobile but the new mobile broke down; inserted the SIM in old mobile but it didn't work; have given the mobile for repair. But the customer care representative on 121 told me that our plan is of 16 Mbps.
The website had option of changing registered mobile number, I did, it has told me to try after 1 hour.

Last edited:
Did you restart your modem? Your line is set up for 16 Mbps.

I faced a speed issue like this a couple of years ago. They refreshed something on the back end and in less than 2 hours I had faster speeds.

Promised "1 hour" is over, it has been more than 9 hours, but I'm trying right now and not receiving the OTP on the new number.
Tried with old number (mobile has got fixed), received OTP, logged in, but it's saying: "Sorry! No airtel service is associated with your mobile number."
Now on the website I've shifted back to the old number, and again the "after 1 hour".

@uberjon I didn't restart the modem. I complained about the speed to 121@in.airtel.com on Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 1:13 AM and during that time I even used MAC filtering in router to allow only my device to access internet, then speed: 7.26 Mbps using "Bharti Airtel Ltd" local server on speedtest.net. The reply I got from 121@in.airtel.com was:
Due to a technical fault in our international cable system, you may experience slow response or latency on some websites. We regret the inconvenience and we have routed the traffic through some other route to minimize impact on customers, however by 20th March it is expected to get completed fixed.

I replied:
I had mentioned in my complaint that I'm in Delhi and I tested the speed with Airtel's Delhi speed test server. So when I'm doing internet from inside of Delhi to inside of Delhi, can you please tell how does international cable system come into play in that? If I would have tested speed with say using America's server then I could have understood that international cable is being used.

Anyway, they have said "by 20th March" so I'll try tomorrow.

@uberjon How you know that line is set up for 16 Mbps? By the 19455 kbps (= 19.455 Mbps)?