New Connection - ONU Dilemma

ISP
Multiple
Hey Guys,

Getting a new Excitel connection for my home. I have a choice between a OptiLink 71000 ONU OR a PPC 2K15X WIFI router which constantly broadcasts their www.excitel.com SSID. Checked with their team, they said they can put the WIFI router in Bridge mode but cannot disable the advertisement SSID.

PPC 2K15X WIFI Router is free with 3 months plan, but if I want the OptiLink OP XONT 71000 I need to opt for the 1 month plan and pay 1000 INR 'deposit', which I suppose I'll never get back.

I already have a multi wan router and AP at home.

Which one should I choose? Is the advertisement SSID a security vulnerability? Has anybody here managed to disable it?

EDIT: added router info

Last edited:
if you aren't able to disable the ssid, wrap the antennae in aluminium foil, that should stop wifi from going far.

are you sure they can enable bridge though? they didn't do it for me and had me switch to no wifi onu

are you sure they can enable bridge though? they didn't do it for me and had me switch to no wifi onu
The installation guy called the tech support team and they said they can put it in bridge mode, but cannot disable the advertisement. The weird thing is the below cost structure:

Option 1) INR 2360, 3 Months Broadband at 300 Mbps, Free PPC 2K15X WiFi router with unwanted advertisement.
Option 2) INR 2061, 1 Month Broadband at 300 Mbps, OptiLink OP XONT 71000 ONU, no WIFi, no advertisement.

The question is should I pay more for the inferior XONT because of the advertisement SSID.

EDIT: added router info

Last edited:
Well, the tech guy straight up lied to me yesterday. Now after the connection is set up he is saying I cannot change the router to Bridge mode.
I was able to get rid of the www.excitel.com SSID on the router without any hassle.

But the issue is that the WAN interface is locked to TR069, which cannot be changed to Bridged, even if I have admin access to the router.
Now I will have to fight for this with excitel and get hold of whoever is responsible for routers and firmware.

nah i think if bridge mode is available go with the wifi router
Hey JB
i am getting the 3 month 300mbps plan for 2360 (router+onu free, no deposit)
they are asking 1000rs for the dumb ONU
can i ask them to replace the router+onu with dumb onu ? do they do so ? (without paying 1000rs for deposit)

and do you recommend excitel fibre ? area - west delhi

Last edited:
i highly doubt they'll replace the onu without deposit. its controlled by excitel, not the lco.

excitel fiber quality varies a lot from lco to lco, mine has been pretty good.