New Bsnl EVDO Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
ISP
BSNL
I want to get Bsnl EVDO connection within few days.
Please answer my following queries as I need it desperately.
1. Can I use my Huawei E3131B gsm modem (Is it compatible or any way to unlock it to use cdma networks) ?
2. Can Prithvi modem provide me speed upto minimum of 180kBps?
3. Are prithvi and Mmx 300C modem's almost same in performance?
4. I don't know whether I have evdo in my area. Does EVDO use 3g network?
5. I have 2g and 3g networks in my area and get RSSI around -68dbm and -88dbm respectively. Do I need to get modem which has external antenna support?

2G and 3G different technology....
CDMA and EVDO different technology...

2G and 3G different technology....
CDMA and EVDO different technology...

Oops! Thank you very much 🙂
I went to bsnl office today which is about 3km's from my home and requested to check download speed. I saw, it was around 1mbps with ZTE modem ( old one). So If I get prithvi modem, how much speed can I expect? They told there is tower nearby my home (about 800m's).

Well considering the conditions(800Mts) you should get 1-1.5Mbps...
But people here have horrible experiences when it comes to EVDO..Some had splendid experiences!!
So to be honest,this is a gamble you are playing...Get the modem on rent...i guess theres a provision for that..you have to deposit money
Check for about a week..Hows the Downtime,ping,download speed,torrent,,everything..then go for BSNL EVDO
Because the ratio of good vs bad in BSNl's EVDO is almost like 1:10...

Well considering the conditions(800Mts) you should get 1-1.5Mbps...
But people here have horrible experiences when it comes to EVDO..Some had splendid experiences!!
So to be honest,this is a gamble you are playing...Get the modem on rent...i guess theres a provision for that..you have to deposit money
Check for about a week..Hows the Downtime,ping,download speed,torrent,,everything..then go for BSNL EVDO
Because the ratio of good vs bad in BSNl's EVDO is almost like 1:10...

Today I went to bsnl office and checked the speed again. It was around 120kBps with the old ZTE modem. Tower was about 500m away from the place.
The JTO also confirmed me that another tower is near to same distance from my house.
Went to purchase today itself. Unfortunately they said evdo data cards are not available as of now but can provide me RUIM if I bring data card by myself.
So now the question is which data card should I buy?
They told me that total of 4 BTS are there in the city (Gulbarga, Karnataka). So I dont want to take risk and want to purchase the card which supports external antenna.
Now I am using 3G, I don't want the feel of those olden days slow browsing. So preferably want Rev. b evdo modem. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.