• Thread starter Thread starter bsnluser
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 3,762

bsnluser

Regular
ISP
UL900
Hello,My parents got the BSNL Unlimited broadband connection at home and I help them in computer stuff remotely (remote tech support 🙂 ).I have a few queries regarding this BSNL connection:1. The 'Account Administration' link on dataone.in page lists the following info:- username: - Usertype: post paid users- User: online- Current Plan: Starup plan, Speed 256 kbps- Creat time: Is the above info as expected? Why does the "current plan" not say something link "Ulimited 900"?2. The modem is Huawei MT882 . At present, the computer (running Windows XP) gets an auto configuration IP address (169.254.x.y) and the modem is configured in bridge mode. So the computer also gets the public IP address (59.a.b.c). Is there any disadvantage in using bridge mode?3. I am thinking of having the IP address of the computer LAN card changed to 192.168.1.1. Will this affect the bridge mode in any way? I am thinking not. The advantage is that the modem configuration can be opened in a browser (we use Firefox) - since the modem has default IP address of 192.168.1.1.4. Does MT882 have a built in firewall? If yes, is it ON, or active, by default?5. It seems the maximum download speed obtainable on the connection is around 24~26 KB/s (Kilo BYTES per sec. Multiply this num by 8 to get kbps speed). Is this as expected? With ideal speed of 256 kbps, maximum ideal speed should be 32 KB/s.thanks,BSNLUser.

^

1. Current Plan : Unlimited 900 should be shown .

2. No disadvantage is noticed in using Bridged mode

3. IP address can be changed .

4. Firewall is not active by default .

5. although maximum DL speed is upto 32KBPS ,
24-26 KBPS is expected . It depends on many factors .

QUOTE(bsnluser @ Jul 25 2006, 01:17 AM) [snapback]56656[/snapback]
Hello,

My parents got the BSNL Unlimited broadband connection at home and I help them in computer stuff remotely (remote tech support 🙂 ).

I have a few queries regarding this BSNL connection:

1. The 'Account Administration' link on dataone.in page lists the following info:
- username:
- Usertype: post paid users
- User: online
- Current Plan: Starup plan, Speed 256 kbps
- Creat time:

Is the above info as expected? Why does the \"current plan\" not say something link \"Ulimited 900\"?

2. The modem is Huawei MT882 . At present, the computer (running Windows XP) gets an auto configuration IP address (169.254.x.y) and the modem is configured in bridge mode. So the computer also gets the public IP address (59.a.b.c). Is there any disadvantage in using bridge mode?

3. I am thinking of having the IP address of the computer LAN card changed to 192.168.1.1. Will this affect the bridge mode in any way? I am thinking not. The advantage is that the modem configuration can be opened in a browser (we use Firefox) - since the modem has default IP address of 192.168.1.1.

4. Does MT882 have a built in firewall? If yes, is it ON, or active, by default?

5. It seems the maximum download speed obtainable on the connection is around 24~26 KB/s (Kilo BYTES per sec. Multiply this num by 8 to get kbps speed). Is this as expected? With ideal speed of 256 kbps, maximum ideal speed should be 32 KB/s.

thanks,
BSNLUser.
[/b]

1.) Go to http://10.241.32.195 and check the service order records...It might change to Unlimited Plan after sometime...Happened with me too...

2.) dunno

3.) Ditch Firefox and move over to Opera

4.) NO ON

5.) It also depend on the speed of the server your are downloading from and the traffic...

QUOTE(.ultimate @ Jul 26 2006, 11:08 AM) [snapback]56738[/snapback]
1.) Go to http://10.241.32.195 and check the service order records...It might change to Unlimited Plan after sometime...Happened with me too...
[/b]

This is interesting. Do you reacall how long it took this to happen from day you got the equipment and connection?

QUOTE(.ultimate @ Jul 26 2006, 11:08 AM) [snapback]56738[/snapback]
3.) Ditch Firefox and move over to Opera
[/b]

Any special reason why? Does the administration page open successfully in Opera? I see that it demands IE to open. And even in that, it demands to install "Chinese simplified" language package!

Thanks.

for dataone usage records on firefox , login to http://10.240.144.195/

No need to install the Chinese Simplified Language . just ignore it .

QUOTE(bsnluser @ Jul 26 2006, 07:37 PM) [snapback]56787[/snapback]
This is interesting. Do you reacall how long it took this to happen from day you got the equipment and connection?
Any special reason why? Does the administration page open successfully in Opera? I see that it demands IE to open. And even in that, it demands to install "Chinese simplified" language package!

Thanks.
[/b]

I remember a few months back the administration page would demand IE to open itself. Then BSNL did some site upgrades and this condition was revoked. I have used firefox to open the page. IMHO Maybe there are some minor layout problems with browsers other than IE6 but the page does open.

QUOTE(bsnluser @ Jul 26 2006, 07:37 PM) [snapback]56787[/snapback]
Does the administration page open successfully in Opera? I see that it demands IE to open. And even in that, it demands to install "Chinese simplified" language package!
[/b]

Right Click> Edit Site Prefrences > Identify/Mark as IE (under Networking tab)