• Thread starter havoc
  • Start date
  • Replies 33
  • Views 2,601
tatyasky

tatyasky

ISP
TataPlay & Jio
I think the there will be no phone supporting Jio's mmWave at launch. (Galaxy Fold 4 perhaps?) In densely populated Indian cities, mmWave might fail.

sahshivam

sahshivam

ISP
Railwire, BSNL, AirTel, Jio 4G, AirTel 4G
No phone in India currently has mmWave apart from the discontinued LG ones, I have a Z Fold 4 there are a lot of marking of antennas in the body, but doesn't look like they're mmWave antennas.

sahshivam

sahshivam

ISP
Railwire, BSNL, AirTel, Jio 4G, AirTel 4G
Please read the rule regarding using quotes on the forum.
The 5G phone selection story goes like this:
Does a phone have 5G?
If yes, how many 5G( and 4G) bands does it support? and does it have support for 5G mmwave band?
If say 12 or 13 bands, does it support all theses bands in both SA and NSA mode?
If yes, does the phone have very good carrier aggregation configuration (This is not known until you buy a phone but my observation has been that the more bands a phone supports better are the chances of a good carrier aggregation configuration)?
If yes, can the phone support 5G in both SIM slots simultaneously i.e. 5G Dual SIM Dual standby (DSDS) (or does a phone only support 5G + 4G simultaneously).
If yes can it connect both these SIMs in SA mode or can it only support 1st SIM in SA and 2nd SIM in NSA mode?
If the phone supports 5G SA mode in both SIM slots simultaneously, does the phone support Voice of New Radio (VoNR) in both slots?

If such a filtration is done, you get a phone with the most future proof 5G connectivity

Please take note of the 5G bands auctioned in India i.e. 1,3,8,20,28,40,41,71,(77/78), 258.
I mean it would be a lot easy, only if companies were open with their spec sheet, or there existed a USSD Code or an app that can do so.
I remember there was a USSD code back when Jio 4G launched everyone was basically just forcing their device on Band 40

ronello

ronello

ISP
MTNL
mmwave frequencies will come into picture for 2 use cases. One is the more well known enterprise use case and the second would actually be in urban settings where user density is high. mmwave propogation being poor that's where deployment of 'Street furniture' or antennas on road features like Street poles and so on would come into the picture. The speeds at mmwave bands would help in dense urban user settings even inside buildings so as not to load the existing network infrastructure. Let's see how it evolves.