MTNL Mumbai New 16 Mbps plans on both ADSL and VDSL

• Thread starter Thread starter d5aqoëp
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 57
  • Views Views 15,030
Nope. Your line can't. I was at 26dB down snr on 8 Mbps. On 16 Mbps, down snr is 10 dB.

I think my line should be able to handle 16 Mbps.

SzmwfAF.png

Want to opt to 8MBPS plan Rs. 1999 plan. My home is about 1.5-2 kms from MTNL office. Currently on 2MBPS Rs. 999 plan.

My Question is: The Line Bonding "CPE" stands for Customer Provided Equipment which is basically a regular ADSL Modem but bought from outside(from say Amazon, flipkart, shop etc) or is this some sp. modem by MTNL itself for which they are charging Rs. 4000!!🙄 Since I stay around 1.5-2Km so I have to spend extra 4K just for 8mbps? What is this Line Bonding CPE they are refering to?

The t&c below the plans state:
  • For connection to be given on Line Bonding CPE and two pairs upfront charges will be:
  • (a) One Time Line bonding CPE Upfront Charges : Rs 4000/-
    (b) Monthly service Charges for MTNL Supplied Line Bonding Modem : Rs 50 Per Month

These plan can be given Using normal ADSL CPE upto 1 KM distance and beyond that line bonding CPE can be used.

Line bonding CPE is a special modem that combines two lines together. You might not need it if your stats are good enough. What are your stats?

Want to opt to 8MBPS plan Rs. 1999 plan. My home is about 1.5-2 kms from MTNL office. Currently on 2MBPS Rs. 999 plan.

My Question is: The Line Bonding "CPE" stands for Customer Provided Equipment which is basically a regular ADSL Modem but bought from outside(from say Amazon, flipkart, shop etc) or is this some sp. modem by MTNL itself for which they are charging Rs. 4000!!🙄 Since I stay around 1.5-2Km so I have to spend extra 4K just for 8mbps? What is this Line Bonding CPE they are refering to?

The t&c below the plans state:
  • For connection to be given on Line Bonding CPE and two pairs upfront charges will be:
  • (a) One Time Line bonding CPE Upfront Charges : Rs 4000/-
    (b) Monthly service Charges for MTNL Supplied Line Bonding Modem : Rs 50 Per Month

These plan can be given Using normal ADSL CPE upto 1 KM distance and beyond that line bonding CPE can be used.

Back in Nov 2014, I was in the same boat as you. I was on 2mbps and wanted something better. So I called a few times, and heard nothing good. Sometimes they said possible and you can apply, sometimes someone said you won't get it as you are too far. (I am about 5kms from exchange). So I went up to my exchange and asked about the higher plans. After going for few days and repeatedly asking about all this, I was redirected to a guy who actually knew what he is doing in his department.

So he explained me things and told me back then that what I was asking for (and so are you) are VDSL plans which are quite limited and MTNL doesn't really provide them any more as the cost of installation of the CPE is quite high. ADSL's speed drop as the distance increases. CPE is a special modem which extends the coverage beyond a certain distance from the exchange. The CPE helps to sustain the actual speed. Every CPE can accommodate about 20-30 customers(don't quote me on this) and that cost of CPE becomes high as not all slots get filled in by local customers.

So instead he said, I could simply apply for a 8mbps connection and he won't install the CPE for me and I could still get the plan I wanted. The only caveat is, I will never get the full 8mbps but instead get something between 6-7mbps. Present day, its been more than a year since the switch I never really get 8mbps but my speed is between 6.5mbps to 7.5mbps and I am okay with that.

Your case on the other hand is quite good, since you live so close to the exchange you might get away with this and get the full or at least above 7mbps for sure. All I can say is go to your exchange everyday for next few days and keep asking about whom to talk to about the 8mbps plan. If they say your area is out of coverage area, tell them you could be okay with non-CPE connection too. They might just agree.

Also all this is from their side, you should also check how your line is from your side(as @x720 mentioned above) . It really need to be better than average to attain all this. If your line is horrible even for 2mbps, then you are not left with much of an option.

Note : The distance of exchange to your house won't really be that as you think, because the distance in case of the wiring would be more depending from the point of origin from exchange to the junction box(es) to your house to your router.

Last edited:
Thanks @demonicult & @x720. Aunty on 1504 clearly says they cannot provide >1km for 8mbps+ connections. CPE @4000 is too costly. I am using TP-Link router for wifi and on WAN port I have MTNL provided ADSL connected so getting line stats is a challenge since I cannot access MTNL router interface when my computer is connected via TPLink router so please give me some time. To give you rough idea, I get around 220 KBps when on 2 MBPS depending on which IP network I am connected (alcatel SOTL, erricson SOTL? etc). BTW do you have any good and reliable internet provide in mind in BOrivali West area which >=8 MBPS speed and no FUP or atleast 100 GB+ month, 1.5 MBPS post FUP and costing arouns <2000rs/month?

Thanks @demonicult & @x720. Aunty on 1504 clearly says they cannot provide >1km for 8mbps+ connections. CPE @4000 is too costly. I am using TP-Link router for wifi and on WAN port I have MTNL provided ADSL connected so getting line stats is a challenge since I cannot access MTNL router interface when my computer is connected via TPLink router so please give me some time. To give you rough idea, I get around 220 KBps when on 2 MBPS depending on which IP network I am connected (alcatel SOTL, erricson SOTL? etc). BTW do you have any good and reliable internet provide in mind in BOrivali West area which >=8 MBPS speed and no FUP or atleast 100 GB+ month, 1.5 MBPS post FUP and costing arouns <2000rs/month?

tbh, the only reason why I am still using MTNL from the past 7-8 years is because there are no other stable and good ISPs with reasonable plans. I never liked how the cable guys provide internet, so not going to waste time explaining why.
MTNL isn't perfect, but if you are having a stable connection (not many disconnections in a day) then your line is good and I would say stick to it. Most people complain about frequent disconnections and they probably never end up solving that problem. I am lucky to have a clean connection so I would only switch to something which would be really appealing. Haven't found any of it yet.

There is no perfect ISP. And you will not get the plan you are asking for anywhere apart from MTNL. Most ISPs would give you a good speed at a bad FUP. For example, Airtel will give you excellent speed at cheap price. I think its 16mbps for 2.5k but a shitty 50GB FUP limit after which you go down to 512kbps. WTF do they think anyone can do for the rest of month at that speed. I don't think they realise that its 16000kbps to 512kbps.

Similarly with other reasonable plans at TATA or Reliance. At low cost you will get 8-10Mbps but the FUP would be really bad.

This is just the plans, most people complain about bad service from other ISPs I am not saying technically bad. I mean bad service in general. Many complain Airtel throttles speed if you are consuming too much bandwidth for a long time. I have read about Reliance or TATA's download number/FUP limit never matches your actual usage. The error is less than 5% but it still is there. And it is a painful task to handle such issues with TATA.

MTNL too has issues as you know. Be it 198 or 1504, no response is ever satisfying. But bottomline for me is whenever I have issues with MTNL ( once in 2 months I think), placing a complaint will fix the problem within few hours.

So if you have a connection you are happy with, do some leg work and go to your exchange to change your plan. Request, beg, be the annoying customer to get it done. That being said, if you really want to switch you can try Airtel, Reliance, TATA and Hathway.
You would not get a plan you wish, but a little bit of sacrifice would get you a decent plan to live off.
I would have recommended to try Spectranet which has really jawdropping plans but they cover very limited areas as of now.

have moved away from mtnl today, fed up of this 512kbps upload speed, its for digital india & not for me i guess ;-)
was nice having mtnl all these year but now time to say farewell to all the aunties of 1500 & this section of the forums.
Thanks for all the help guys..

Updating this thread with the status: I too finally moved away from MTNL and guess what, it meets all my criteria I mentioned in my post above: > 8mbps, no or atleast 100+GB FUP, < Rs. 2000/mth. Happy riddance MTNL. You were good till you lasted...I was with MTNL since 2005 I think. Finally moved on 🙂 Thanks to all who helped me with timely help. Shall keep visiting this forum(intermittently) for nostalgia though 🙂

Now can someone let me know simplest way to close my MTNL plans incl. returning ADSL modem and getting back my deposit(if any) without going to their office?

Hello mate,

could you please help me understand how were you able to convince the mtnl guys for SOTL port?

I am also on 8mb 2699 plan and wish to take the VDSL 2799 plan.

As evident they have reduced the upload limit to 512 & my current plan (which had 2mbps upload) does not exist on mtnl website anymore.

Anyway below is my stats wherein I'm getting constant 7 mb speed. and hence I though it wud be better to opt for vdsl as the exchange is little less than a Km from my place.

Thanks in advance.

Its a Belkin N150 Wireless Modem Router

I am using ADSL modem only. Only plan is VDSL 2049 10 Mbps.

They put me on VDSL port which required VDSL modem. But I forced them to put me back to SOTL port which runs on ADSL.
I am using ADSL modem only. Only plan is VDSL 2049 10 Mbps.
aafafaf
They put me on VDSL port which required VDSL modem. But I forced them to put me back to SOTL port which runs on ADSL.

Last edited: