Netplus FTTH : User Experience

• Thread starter Thread starter anubhav11
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 81
  • Views Views 21,946
Ever since I kept seeing ISP experience of many FTTH users here, i was very eager to try out the same but living in a small town has its own perks! Before this FTTH connection I had BSNL broadband (which was not very stable but kept as a backup for my buisness) and a local isp who provided wireless internet via 5Ghz unlicensed spectrum using AS134042(Maha Mediacom LLP). So they had a ubiquiti air grid m5 installed and the plan provided was 32Mbps Up and Down with no FUP @Rs.2000/- per month. The speed and service were all great but it wasn't FTTH😁.

Installation:-
One day got a call from my cable tv provider that they have started Netplus FTTH (AS133661) in my area, so after discussing i selected 1299 Plan which provided 150Mbps Unlimited and was told installation will be done in 2 days. But it took them 3 weeks for the installation (already a bad sign) and the reason for the same was that the LCO is only allowed to do the wiring part of the installation and the rest i.e. modem configuration will be done by the netplus engineer himself who 3 weeks to visit my place. Installation charges were Rs.3000/- and they gave a zte f660 GPON ont but as i knew the LCO i told him i wont be paying the installation until i test the service for around 1 week or so which he agreed.

IP Addresses:-
Netplus doesn't provide public IP addresses and hence its CGNAT but the main IP address keeps changing every day or two. I was not used to this as in my previous wireless connection i had static ip address without any extra charges. Also no IPv6 here.

Speeds:-
This is where I didnt like this ISP much. Speeds on local servers is okay okay but as soon as I download or test speed on international servers there is a big dip in speeds and pings are also not that great,even my wireless isp gives better pings and consistent speeds all around according to the plan. I get 100-120Mbps on local servers which is not that great as i have a 150Mbps connection (or am I asking too much). The netplus engineer also told that de have removed their servers from speedtest.net hence low speeds and they recommend speedtest.net.in to test speeds.

On Speedtest.net
9128969217.png
9128974568.png
9128992441.png

9128997700.png

Servers- Netplus Ludhiana, Airtel Delhi, Tata Sky Broadband Mumbai, ACT Chennai.

Now some international Servers

9129005296.png
9129014152.png
9129018363.png

Servers- Singtel Singapore, GTT London, New York AT&T

Fast.com
fast.webp

Netplus (AS133661) uses TATA, Airtel and Vodafone as their IP transit.

1.webp
2.webp
3.webp

Service:-
The service is ought to be poor because the lco don't have the authority to change or alter ont or olt settings, all technical work is restricted to the netplus engineer (who didn't even knew how to change the LAN IP addresses of the ONT😅). Even while installation i was the only one on that main fiber but was still getting -29dBm optical signal and the engineer didn't cared about it and after few days the LOS light started blinking 10-15 times a day. After complaining the engineer came after 3 days(knowing that the connection is being used for my business) and changed my connection to some other line and the signal was around -6dBm, but today its back to -27dBm. Also the downtime is very frequent (optical LOS). While writing this user experience the connection went down again!😠

The thing is i need help to decide whether to keep this connection or switch to Bsnl Fiber (launched here yesterday and the lco is very knowledgeable), ill be keeping my wireless connection active which soon will be upgraded to fiber but i need another connection for backup so either it will be netplus or Bsnl fiber.

in my case airtel connects to hyderabad COLO and jio connects to chennai

hyderabad gateway ping is 60 ms and Chennai is 40 ms 😛

@Rickysin can you test if the issue is only with speedtest.net or other testing platforms. For me, issue is only on speedtest.net. I am listing down few speedtest platforms. nperf, testmy.net , fast.com , cloudflare speedtest , speedtest.net.in .

then its some peering issue with speedtest.net, I also get fine speeds on other platforms, just speedtest.net sucks.

Yes, @Rickysin am in Chandigarh. My box only has 2 connections, still am facing the issue. The engineer assures me though that THIS in and of itself shouldn't affect the speed. He's probably wrong, I have no way to tell though.

He said to troubleshoot these speed issues they'll have to run a Lan speed test on their laptop after disabling wifi and send it to their backend NOC team. Then the NOC will figure out a solution. Haven't been able to do that till now as it requires a significant amount of time (and effort) without wifi access for my household. Don't know if it'll work either.
On a side note, their equipment (modem/router) is quite bad. Even when the speed IS coming at full strength, browsing etc. still feels slow. Loading a website is not 'instant' as it should be with high speeds. The modem doesn't handle routing and broadcasting very well.

@nishantt6969 How much does one have to pay for warp plus?

Last edited:
Netplus and fastway HD combo pack, kehte kuch hai, karte kuch hai, pehle kehte 298 me Silver pack plus10MBPS,
when you gave advance for five months then you have to available free to air only chanelles which can be watched by installing free dish with Rs.1000/- for whole life.
only waste of money or confirmed with both netplus and fastway.
netplus not given proper reply neither fastway given reply
you cannot change plan till next five month if you have given 5-months advance
so kindly avoid to take netplus hd bundle plan