Netgear wireless router to STB

• Thread starter Thread starter sandeepa
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 5,089

sandeepa

ISP
MTNL
Has anyone managed to use Netgear wireless router for IPTV ?i.e connect the set top box to the wired output of the wireless router instead of directly from multi-port dsl router ?If yes, what changes in the configuration were needed ?Thanks.

yes , for this setup modem in PPPoE mode and Netgear in bridged mode . connect from LAN Port of modem to LAN port of netgear not WAN Port..

Could you please explain a little more ?Or suggest a link for more explanation.Thanks.

Always mention Modem/router/wifi model and make.The adsl modem you are using.IPTV will not work in WIFI mode.Your connection to the set top box will be from a LAN port.

ADSL router is D-Link GLB-502T.Wireless router: Netgear WGR614v7According to the IPTV people, I need a multi-port DSL router to connect the STB.And if I need to use wi-fi for the internet, I need a DSL-wireless combined router.I am wondering why connecting the STB from the wired output of Netgear should'nt work.Thanks.

well it would work.. it worked for me.. but i had a small issue.. whenever i switched on the IPTV , the wifi of the router wouldn't work.. for some reason , i dont know why.. so then i purchased a 4 port hub/switch costs about 500 bucks and connected it between the modem and the wifi router.. then iptv and wifi works well!!

HTML:
whenever i switched on the IPTV , the wifi of the router wouldn't work
You mean it disconnected at the time of switch-on and then connected again ?Or you couldnt use both simultaneously ?When I connected the STB to the wired output of the Netgear, the STB couldnt initialise, it hung in the initialising process.That, according to the IPTV guy who came for installation is the problem thats happening with Netgear and Linksys wireless routers.DO you think an external hub would help in such a scenario ?Also, could you please explain further what you had said in your first reply ?Thanks.

D
h t t p://www.D-Link.co.in/GLB502T_Guide_modified/index.htm
GLB 502 T has a phone line input port.
You may by pass the Adsl splitter ( may not be needed ) and try.

Connect the STB to one of the LAN PORTS OF glb502 T and try.
They are also similar to switch/hub.

HTML:
Connect the STB to one of the LAN PORTS OF glb502 T and try.They are also similar to switch/hub.
The STB works fine when connected directly to the glb502T.But the problem is, GLB502T has just one LAN port, which i need for my wireless router.Right now, my connection is
HTML:
mtnl line-->GLB502T-->Netgear--->laptop(wireless)                     |           CAT5               desktop(wired)                     |                     ------>phoneWhat I will need to use for IPTV ismtnl line-->splitter---->GLB502T--->Netgear---->laptop(wireless)                     |  modem o/p     CAT5                  desktop(wired)                     |                                               STB(wired)                      ------->phone                      phone o/p
Is tehre a way to make this work ?

@sandeepa yes a hub would help.. just blindly connecting a hub inbetween your current setup of a modem and wifi router should work.. yes , faced similar issues , sometimes STB wouldnt work ,sometimes wifi wouldnt!!