Need your experience to decide

• Thread starter Thread starter desi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 3,903

desi

Dear Friends,Airtel broadband is not available in my area and hence I need to go for Sify / Hathway / VSNL. I need your guidance for deciding the plan. I would be using internet for the following. 1. Mail / Information Search / Listen to Online Songs - Maximum for 2 hours per day2. Chat with cam / voice - Maximum for 2 hours per dayCould you please let me know, how much MB it might take per day for this usage (atleast approximately)? Will it exceed 150 MB per day limit set by Sify?Thanks in Advance,Desi

Average : 125MB/day. 😀If online song is listened to for 2 hours continuously...If used for 30mins alonwith the rest, about 85MB I hope... 😀Keep a track of Data Transferred when u browse... 🙂

150 MB is a lot for these kinds of activities, that too for only 2 hours. In my opinion you don't have to worry about it. But be warned that Sify has other problems like inconsistent speeds, (for me the download is consistent at 100 kbps but the upload is at maximum 30-60 kbps and very incconsistent which will affect any songs you play on chat etc.) and frequent downtimes.

Yeah me too upload is too inconsistent on upto 48 kbps pack.....does it interfere with voice chat

Originally posted by inetbum@Jun 10 2005, 03:39 PM
150 MB is a lot for these kinds of activities, that too for only 2 hours. In my opinion you don't have to worry about it.
[snapback]12004[/snapback]
[/quote]
hmmm... are you sure? If you want to hear songs with a 128kbps stream, that zaps out about 120MB in a hour or so... so you would be cutting it close IMO.....

Desi, since you do have a time limit to how much you are going to use it, I would say firstly, look at Time-based plans rather than data-based ones (e.g. perhaps a 50 hour plan would suffice for you for a month) and secondly, look at BSNL/MTNL or Exatt if they are available in your area.

p.s. it would help if you could enter your location in your profile.

Thanks to all for the info.I am able to understand from your replies that listening to online songs is the main thing in rising the MB usage. May be i can try avoiding that (by listening to CDs) or limiting that usage based on MB usage per day.So, if i use internet for all other things i mentioned there, i think it should be fine for me.vebmetal, I am from chennai outskirts and i have updated my profile too. There i currently have option for sify / hathway / tata indicom only. In that only sify provides unlimited internet (ofcourse with tapping of 150 MB per day). So, i asked this question. Tata Indicom has very high rate 2000/- for unlimited. Hathway too provides, but less believing that CTO. Whatever i ask, he says it will work very well with 64kbps 🙂 He told that i can have a demo of the speed at his place. May be, i can try it out with different speeds to choose the type of connection.

Originally posted by vebmetal@Jun 10 2005, 04:10 PM
hmmm... are you sure?  If you want to hear songs with a 128kbps stream, that zaps out about 120MB in a hour or so... so you would be cutting it close IMO.....
[snapback]12007[/snapback]
[/quote]

Get your calculations right..First of all in no way you can downlaod 120 mb in an hour on a128kbps connection...The max u can donwload in an hour is 60 Mb.

Coming to the other point ....if somebody 128kbps and he is lsitening to songs that doesnt mean it will take away all the 128 kbps bandwidth...audio streaming takes away approx. 40 kbps of band width so that will be 20Mb per hour..

And any ways with sify the donwlaod limit is 200Mb per day (just comfirmed that 3 days back) that will be really too much for you.

Nice Findings...😀But I have been again suspended guys! Just for adding "UNOFFICIAL Moderator" to my member description! Under which rule does he find me guilty ? :angry:

Hi desi...from chennai outskirts? i think i might be in your area...How about Tata unlimited 64kbps-> Rs.800 +taxes? thats what i've applied for.... but i must warn you, they are slow in providing their connection...

on second thought, if u do all those activities at night, go with the Night Unlimited plan...9 pm to 9 am...that's the best, in terms of ur requirements...🙂

just try not to get addicted to the net. it can prove to be errm... life changing experience.

blah! blah! blah! boooo!Dhus! I cant cool down myself on account of the ban :angry:Hell help me !!! :blink: