• Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 7,454

mhsabir

Xclusive
Staff member
ISP
Jio & Hathway
Now, Call STD Mobile Numbers Without Adding '0' or '+91' Prefix | NDTV Gadgets

A major roadblock to implementing full mobile number portability (MNP) across the country has been removed. Several telecom operators have begun simplifying the process of dialling STD mobile numbers in the country. Until now, calling mobile numbers registered and situated outside one's home network would require adding '0' or '+91' as a prefix. That is not true any longer.

Customers of most telecom operators can now call any mobile number in the country without adding any prefix. We tested this with various numbers on Airtel, Vodafone and MTNL's networks and can confirm that the prefix is no longer necessary. There's a small chance that some operators haven't yet implemented the simplified dialling pattern and their numbers may still require a prefix. But that is likely to change before July, when the full MNP deadline comes into effect.

Nice. I know a lot of folks who habitually save all mobile numbers with 0.

I do that. I make sure all mobile numbers have either 0 or +91 present in front of them.

Excellent change there.

Now it would be hard to know if the call you are making is local or std...

I always save number with 0 as prefix even for local numbers, as I will be in roaming frequently. Good to see that problem is solved now. Nowadays local or STD difference is not much [same and all free in my case], so no problem for me.

I also had habit of saving all number with +91. Good change by telecom dept.
Now it would be hard to know if the call you are making is local or std...
I think eventually all mobile calls made within India in same circle or different circle would be considered as Local? That may be plan.
In UK there was no concept of STB calls for mobiles. Although UK is small country, but I think in US as well there is no concept of STD calls for mobiles.

I always saved numbers with +91 since 1997, when I owned my first cellphone "Philips Diga"
It would not be necessary to change it as calls will go through with and without it.

I use "sha plus caller ID" which tells me operator name and circle on dailer screen itself, I don't use Truecaller which
might also have this feature.

European Union I believe killed roaming few years ago so all calls are local in EU I think?

By STD in US - are you asking if all are same or need to add prefix?

If prefix, then it is how its becoming now in India - no STD code or prefix

Rates vary across region and plan. For example landline calls within county may be free but charged at different rates at state and country level..

By STD, I meant call rate, not related to adding prefix. I think they (US) don't have different call rates for call made to same state or different state, and may be treating calls made from 1 state to another as local call only.

I am also used to save all numbers with +91. It is good change by Telecom Company that no needs to save or dial any number with 0 or +91 prefix.

Its still advisable to prefix +91 because if you go to any foreign country.

And then you buy SIM card / mobile there and use your Google account contacts. They will continue to work without any change.

But if you do not add +91 then everytime you dial India, you will have to manually add +91

Right. The 10 digit numbers for both mobile and landline include area code. So, in that there is no concept like that of a 2 digit std code for metros and 4 or even 5 for small towns like in India. All numbers are provided with 10 digits. Calls to your "area" numbers are free..