Need to decide between TP-Link Archer C6 & Tenda AC10

ISP
One Broadband
I need to buy a dual band gigabit router under 3k and i have been researching for the same since past 2 days
All around the internet & even in this forum , Archer C6 seems to the one recommended most/defacto king . It seemed like a easy blind buy to me until one of my friend recommended Tenda AC10 as a better alternative , then i saw bunch of direct speedtest comparison between these 2 on YouTube & was quite shocked with the results . On paper both are having exactly same spec but actual tests told a very different story

1)Tenda AC10 vs Archer C6 v2

Source

Result - Archer C6 v2 is outperformed by Tenda AC10 by a very good margin . I didn't expected so much difference , archer seemed like a joke in front Tenda here

2) Tenda AC10 vs Archer C6 v2 vs Archer C6 v3 vs Few others

Source

Result - Here also Tenda AC10 outperformed both Archer C6 v2 & v3 by comfortable margins
( Archer C6 v3 has improved over v2 apparently still nowhere near Tenda AC10'S numbers )

Except just the one the speedtest comparison at first which was done like way too close to the router in which both routers perfomed equally good , Tenda AC10 performed way better be it 2.4ghz or 5 ghz band across all tests . There are bunch of other vidoes too on YouTube claiming Tenda AC10 having lot better coverage & speed than Archer C6 but lets leave them , the ones i gave are good enough tests to put forward my point . If the Tenda AC10 is so much better than Archer C6 , then why isn't it even half as much know or acclaimed like the Archer C6's are ? Why doesn't anyone talk about Tenda AC10 if they are really so good , something doesn't feel right to me . Possibly someone having used both these routers will be able to clear this up properly

What do all of you guys have to say about this ? Do all the tests in the video look reliable enough to base a purchase decision over it ? I am really stuck at this point . Its safe to say that way too many people use Archer C6 here it being so popular , don't you guys get speed drops like shown in the video ?

On another note , I am definitely open to suggestions for different options apart from these 2 within my budget

Last edited:
Great choice. Openwrt works smoothly and very well. The CPU seems to be FULLY Supported. I was even able to USB Tether my phone and use the 4G network through it. You could setup a 4G failover connection for your FTTH using that!

Upvote 0
@TinTinSnowy You are using the DIR 1260? Would you mind shedding some light on this new router? A kind of a review will be appreciated. As there isn't much out there about it.
I will paste the review here of the router which I have left on Flipkart.

I got this router for 1.7K with AMEX discount.

Pros:
Good Price
Wi-Fi range better than Mercusys 1900AC router
4 Gigabits Ports
WPA3
Dual Core 880Mhz Processor
128MB RAM
128MB Flash Memory

Cons:
No Official AP Mode Feature (You need to connect the cable from your modem to lan port of the router then reset the router to use it like AP. You lose one lan port and cannot use guest network in AP Mode unlike on TP-Link Archer C6)
No WiFi Repeater Mode (It's okay since WiFi Repeating is never stable even on the most expensive routers. Go Cable)
Heard D-Link is infrequent with firmware updates (Will know in few years for sure)
No OpenWRT support (Hardware is fully capable. Let's see if this is introduced in the future)

It is a good package overall and steal for the price. It does not make sense to spend more on AC and AX routers right now. If you want to spend more on router then wait for 6E supported routers to get cheaper. I will upgrade when there is a 6E router available for 5K and less.

Upvote 0
Congratulations on your new purchase. I had ordered MR50G (2.9K on Amazon) for myself but had to return it as I didn't liked it's wifi range. I went ahead and placed order for D-LINK DIR 1260 (1.7K) on Flipkart. I find it better in range compared to MR50G, it have more gigabit ports and WPA3 support. I will be looking to upgrade again when there are WIFI 6E routers available under 5K.
I'm curious. Where did you place the router when you tested the range? Because i mounted mine near the ceiling at the center of my house and i can't be happier with it. Anyways, its great that D-Link worked out for ya.

Upvote 0
Where did you place the router when you tested the range? Because i mounted mine near the ceiling at the center of my house and i can't be happier with it.
I had placed at the edge in last room at my home. I understand center placement at the ceiling will give better range. Mercusys failed to give 5ghz/2ghz signals in the hall from the last room. D-Link is giving me 20 Mb/s in the hall (300 Mb/s connection) from the same location as Mercusys.

Upvote 0
I'm curious. Where did you place the router when you tested the range? Because i mounted mine near the ceiling at the center of my house and i can't be happier with it. Anyways, its great that D-Link worked out for ya.
Hey, can you check & confirm that mercusys MR50G is missing wds feature. I couldn't find it in manual:
Source

It should be there either in wireless settings or under system settings.

Upvote 0
They added WDS in the latest firmware update. You can read the changelogs here.
Rn i'm using it in AP mode but i can confirm its there.
Thanks! Can you post a screenshot of wds option page, will use it for future reference. By AP mode I assume you are using it as wired extender, right?

Upvote 0
By AP mode I assume you are using it as wired extender, right?
That's right. BTW here's the screenshot.
Screenshot-2021-08-10-at-10-29-27-AM.png

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hello All,

I recently bought the TP-Link Archer C6 V3 link and configured it in router mode on the Airtel XStream Fiber connection (router mode). The connection works fine and I am getting the plan speed on wireless and/or ethernet. The issue I am facing is with the Wifi drain on the SMartphone. I had this similar issue on the Nokia ONT router that Airtel provides and after troubleshooting much had changed the Access point for Wifi to an old TP link on DD WRT. The battery drain disappeared then.

I bought this Archer C6 to have more functionality and coverage than the old TP Link, however i now have this battery drain again (4-5% in a day) as per the battery usage. Unfortunately the C6 V3 is not yet supported on DD, Open WRT or Tomato and hence I am unable to shift to a different firmware. Has anyone faced a similar issue and has a solution?

Thanks

Upvote 0