Need suggestion for buying a router UPS

ISP
Airtel
I do not have any knowledge regarding UPS, it suddenly stuck me I needed one as I have been seeing frequent power cuts in my area.

I need a UPS to power Nokia 2425G, Xiaomi 3G router and Pi Zero.

How much power should the UPS be and what is the average cost I am looking at?

this should be fine on a regular inverter with ups functionality assuming you have one already?

my experience with basic ups has been quite bad but that should work fine as well though the load is very little even for basic ups you get for 3-4K. i guess get the basic apc ups. @Nishant has good experience with them. microtek should work fine as well. though you might need to put a bit more load on it. some ups shut down if they do not detect enough load.

Upvote 0
I've been running my whole network rack (containing multiple network devices, RPis, HDDs, etc.) on a Microtek Sinewave inverter since ages now. Works fine. And it is not even on UPS mode.

Most cheap computer UPS have the problem of auto shutdown when load is too low. So it will not work for powering routers unless one specifically knows that the auto shutdown feature is not present in the UPS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
get one of the basic apc ups i guess. if you are aiming for more than a few hours, which means power supply is really bad in your area... maybe it's time to get a proper inverter setup 🤔

Upvote 0
Get this if the total load is less than 40W. Great for routers and low power devices. Switch over is smooth between power and ups mode without device reboot in power cuts although very sensitive devices might reboot as Transfer Time is not the best. i tried around 4-5 routers and none of them restart in case of power cut.

One additional and important benefit is it used standard 12V battery, so once battery is dead or weak , we can just replace with new one for around Rs. 800 without much hassle, so probably can use it for long time.

ZEBRONICS ZEB-CU5013 CFL UPS Price in India - Buy ZEBRONICS ZEB-CU5013 CFL UPS online at Flipkart.com

Upvote 0
Computer UPS not suitable for routers.

-->Router wont meet minimum load requirement
--> computer ups waste lot of energy in comparision due to desgined for high wattage. i got 10 hrs backup of one 12v,2A router with this UPS (others might not get same) whereas computer ups gives max 2-3 hrs.

Upvote 0
Ups are pretty useless get an inverter. I used a ups with inverter so ups battery was only to prevent voltage fluctuation during power cut still the ups battery would go bad after 1.5-2 years. After getting laptop I ditched ups completely.

Invest in a inverter for long term.

Upvote 0
You can check on the back of power adapter.
It will say something like 12v=1A or 12V=1.5A . Also you will have 2 Voltages over there AC(Input) and DC(Output)
You need to look for the second one which is output

The UPS you are buying should have at least equal to the Ampere(1A or 1.5A) of the adapter or above it(like 2A on the UPS) is also fine.

The one you have selected should work for you as its 2A and 12V. Many routers follow this standard. But better to check sometimes as in a rare case we have 17Volts too

Upvote 0
VWpG5KM.webp

Upvote 0