Need some review of new BSNL Bharat Fiber FTTH Broadband Plans 777 / 1277

• Thread starter Thread starter N_lover27
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 660
  • Views Views 108,097
So today i Was getting around 30 mbps speed on my 100 mbps plan for most of the day with 117.x.x.x IP series in Pune. Rebooted my modem and got 103.x.x.x IP series and full 100 mbps speed now. Not sure if it was BSNL server problem or problem with my modem.

I think I got hit by the same thing, so what I have noticed is, when I get an IP in the 117.x.x.x range, the speeds are not so great and you might not get the full speed. However in my case when I get an IP in 27.x.x.x range, I get the full speed always and performance is way better.

I think it's similar to your case @vishalrao, where the 103.x.x.x gives the full speed and the 117.x.x.x gives a not so optimal speeds.

Another strange thing with my Netlink ONT that bit me was, none of my recent config changes (be it changing password, or any change done in the management UI) were persisting after a reboot. I had configured the telephone VOIP things and it was working, but after a power failure everything got reverted.

So the issue was that I had enabled logging, and there is no mechanism within the ONT device to truncate the logs or just keep the last x kilobytes of the logs. It keeps on writing the logs until the config filesystem is full, and it doesn't even get deleted on reboot. In my case, the /var/config filesystem was full and none of my config changes were able to persist to disk as the disk was full, so on reboot, it just took the last known working configuration.

UegTMJe.png

zy3yKFs.png

As to how I fixed it, I was able to telnet in and just delete the syslog file in the /var/config folder. Luckily it was mounted rw (well if they are writing the logs there, it must be rw 😉)

TL;DR - If you have a Netlink ONT, do NOT enable local logging, use remote syslog logging if you really want logs.

Thanks @vishalrao I wonder why the fuptopup link doesn't open for me then. Maybe I will raise a complaint and see what they say. .

So http://fuptopup.bsnl.co.in opens if I am on a 117.x.x.x IP range, however it errors out with the below message. It appears as though they have not allowed my IP range or something. When on the 27.x.x.x IP range, it just times out.

tFaVFOb.png

I have opened a complaint ticket anyway, it's in progress, let's see.

Edit : It might actually just be due to Mac binding, I just saw another post by @mayank yadav here which says the same -- Unable to Connect to Internet through router. | Bharat Fiber Broadband (BSNL FTTH)
Unfortunately I don't have time today to try that, will test that the next time I come to my HomeTown! 🙂

Cloning the MAC unfortunately didn't work, I don't know if its the ONT or my OpenWRT router, but when the MAC address of my router's WAN interface matched with any of the MAC addresses of the ONT's interfaces (there are multiple), not necessarily the main interface, but even any of the WAN interfaces, it just didn't work, I couldn't even ping the ONT.

I tried to change the ONT's WAN interface MAC addresses, but unfortunately didn't work. 🙁 I might just need to get the MAC address binding reset from BSNL's side.

Last edited:
Anybody tried the annual plan cash back offer? For annual plans, we anyway need to pay only for 10 months, plus we get 25% cash back.

The cash back would be exclusive of GST, so if you opt for the 500 GB annual plan, I think it will come to
Rs 777 * 10 ie Rs 7770 + GST = Rs 9168 plus a cash back of Rs 1942 which would cover for 2 months including GST.

So it comes down to pay for 10 months, get service for 14 months ie Rs 655 per month incl GST as compared to Rs 916 pm for monthly payments.

SAVE_20190306_122755.jpeg

My input power level was initially -15 dBm which was decent but then my LCO did some "splicing maintenance work" for extra customer capacity and now my power level is -25 to -26 dBm ! Though I am not facing any issues so far, yeah, fingers crossed 😀
what is the recommended power level?

@naman1208 recommended input power level is still -26 dBm or thereabouts. but dont worry about it if your connection is working stable then it's fine. your level of -17 is well above the minimum.

@varkey I too have the same ONT. I've tried many methods to make it in bridge mode. Unfortunately everything failed. I've even contacted their OEM which is a Chinese company whose name I don't remember.

Finally what I did was I found the support number of Netlink from somewhere. I tried calling to that number and they redirected to some other person. That guy explained me the whole process which also involves changing some configuration from the OLT end also. Then only this bridging will work. (Netlink is an Ernakulam based company afaik)

@abbyck Thanks for sharing your experience, however its most likely the MAC binding which is done on BSNL's side, where the PPPoE authentication would succeed only If coming from the MAC address registered in the OLT BSNL PPP authentication server.

I haven't been home to co-ordinate with BSNL in reseting that MAC binding yet, so probably the next time I go home will get that done.

Also, I think it would pretty much be the same for any ONT cause of the MAC binding -- Unable to Connect to Internet through router. | Bharat Fiber Broadband (BSNL FTTH)

The ISP in Bangalore that I use called Spectra also does MAC binding similarly (although they don't even use PPPoE, just DHCP directly) but luckily they offer a self service portal kind of thing where you can authorise the new MAC address. Unfortunately for BSNL this is still a manual process hence the trouble.

@abbyck Were you able to get the ONT working in bridge mode?

Last edited:
@varkey Yes, it's some kind of Mac binding(I think there is a different name for this- guide to what to do in OLT is available in YouTube). But the problem lies within last mile, ie with the LCO. LCO's OLT is managing ONTs ,vlan tagging and all. BSNL employee said if they're managing that they would have done it at request, instantly. Since LCOs are not much into these kind of things BSNL employees would need to visit LCO's operation centre and help them setup. They said if I insist to do so they will connect with LCO.

Eventually I forgot the plan of bridging. Probably I will ping them back next month or the next. I'm too away from home.