Need some opinions, first time Jiofiber user

• Thread starter Thread starter Ronit
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 4,431
ISP
BSNL
First post but long time lurker, so I booked a jiofiber connection and the guy on call replied back saying its better if I take 699 prepaid plan and after 30 days trial I can downgrade to 399 anyway. So I wondered what's the catch. Would there be any hassle if I go for 699 and later downgrade to 399? I am guessing plan speeds are tied to only the recharge value, ie if I need 399 for a month I recharge that and get 30 Mbps and if I need higher speed then recharge a 699 pack and use that for the month, is it right?

Also the 399 pack is of 30 Mbps and I saw a data sachet pack of 199, 1TB at 100 Mbps. So suppose I go over the 3300 GB limit and activate 199, does the 1TB work as 30Mbps or 100Mbps.

And I already have an empty electric wiring through which I had my old BSNL ADSL connection, can I put Jio's fiber cable through it too?

Sorry for too many questions but my jiofiber guys are pretty novice and only know copy paste answers from FAQ page.

Last edited:
Does the deposit vary between the 399 and 699. I know it varies for the 999 one.

I guess it all comes down to how easily people have been able to switch post the trial - how soon has the plan change happened? Also I guess the idea is that people who go for the higher deposit plan are likely to stick to that.

I think we need to pay 1500 first time and we get 150mbps speed regardless of plan we select. And why recharge in advance?
What if you are not satisfied?

Our Society has been wired recently by Jio, so this is first major ISP going to provide broadband service. Airtel Xstream had put advertisement, but they never came for several reasons.
I am offered same plan as mentioned in above post.
I wanted to know should I disconnect local ISP and fully rely on Jio broadband now. Local ISP had minor issues which were quickly resolved.
Also Jio has Landline option. Anybody opted for it, and what extra hardware is needed apart from router?

Jio will always have better international speeds as the backbone will be strong. Local ISP cannot say.

Jio also has its share of its problems. Their router Wifi is not that strong. Again depends on personal preference and carpet area. If you have an AP you want to use then you can go ahead with jio

Last edited:
Reactions: SVK
^^^ AP means? Access Point?
My Local ISP provided Router has issues with signal in another room. No issues in same room. I am hoping this situation is better with Jio.

Yes, AP is access point.
Do confirm from Jio users here if it support AP. Don't expect good coverage from Jio router. Observe the range and if you feel its insufficient, you can get hold of Archer C6/A6 or Mercusys MR50(for more range due to 6 antennas) as per your needs, if Jio supports AP.
Also you can keep your existing ISP as backup with minimum plan of there are issues with Jio.

Last edited:
Update:

Paid 1500 total for router+installation, no chai-paani was asked (unlike BSNL).

Got the installation done, JCOW414 router. The jiofiber buy referred, so getting one month additional trial as a coupon to be used in 90 days. 150 Mbps for both the trial and referral coupon. Getting 140-145Mbps on 5Ghz constantly from OVH/DigitalOcean Singapore but EU/UK peering quite bad, not crossing 50Mbps.

Only once had a downtime of 30min around 11PM otherwise very stable connection, no drops. 2.4Ghz constantly 29-30 Mbps, and range of both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz seems same. Getting around 120Mbps on 5Ghz 20feet away, two thick walls and one heavy metal almirah in between, no noticeable dead spot. I don't game so no idea about performance.

Installation took around 30min, very professionally done, put the cable in an empty electric wiring slot and looks very clean.

Torrenting is a hassle, seems to be capped at 10Mbps no matter the seeders from PTs. And opening ports, UPNP/DMZ seems not to do anything so in case you want to download totally-legit-linux-isos better use a seedbox/debrid.

Same for me as above post regarding installation, router, plan and speed.
Good thing is Jio Wifi is working in another room on 5Ghz as well. So far all devices are configured and connected with 5GHz SSID, though router can also be configured with 2.4 GHz SSID.

I have a landline option. I just connected the beetel instrument which was previously used with our previous dear departed MTNL connection. No problem at all calls are clear (if & when it gets used😝), caller ID works. Only difference between MTNL & jio landline is with jio the modem has to on for the landline connection to work. I have a 100 Mbps connection & I get 45-50 Mbps on 2.4 Ghz & 95-97 Mbps on 5Ghz. Had a major outage today, third in 4 years & jio sent a sms with estimated time of restoration. No problem with wifi but then this a Mumbai house. 😋🥴

I am likely to get the connection soon . What is the model number of router being given and is there any choice of router ? Are the routers all dual band ? Any other point to be noted at the time of installation ? I think there is only one type of STB . Would welcome any suggestions from members . Thanks .

For me they just brought router which has Jio label on it. There is no choice given. It is dual band router.