• Thread starter Thread starter Tejas01
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 229
  • Views Views 23,719

Tejas01

Dream big in life.
ISP
Airtel XStream Fiber
This will be my first washing machine and I am truly clueless what should I look for. Need your help with some pointers. Following are some details if they help.

1. Top load machine for a family of two.
2. Weight- between 6-7 kg. I mean I don't know. Will 7 kg be too much for 2 people. We will be primarily using it for washing heavy clothes like bedsheets, curtains, recron pillows. I was thinking of getting 6.5 kgs if in case there is extra load. 7 kg just to be extra safe.
3. Which brand to look for? No idea. LG seems fine. Any brand which has a better service record. I have had bad experiences with big brands like Sony, Hitachi, IFB. So will be avoiding them. Samsung, LG have been good for me. My 2002 Samsung refrigerator still going strong.
4. Most important- I live in an area where the issue of corrosion is significant. So any company which offers durable electronics will be preferred.(Seems LG already got a head start here with corrosion proof and inverter tech.)
5. Availability of spare parts.
6. I live on 4th floor and the main water tank is on the 8th floor(terrace). So I am assuming there shouldn't be any issue with water pressure. In summers it may create some problem when water supply is reduced.
7. Budget 15,000-18,000.
8. Can i get a heater in top load models? From what I searched for, didn't find any.
What are the other things I need to look for? Do I need to get a wheel tray? I mean I am looking at a possibility that I might have to move the machine during summers when water supply and pressure is low.
What are the demerits of not having the required water pressure?

Have anyone of you washed your clothes with vinegar? I put vinegar into the conditioner tray upto MAX(as mentioned on the marker) and clothes smells like vinegar. I have to Rinse it 2-3 times to get rid of it. Am I adding too much vinegar? The vinegar I use is a synthetic all white. My usual load is 75-80% drum capacity.

I have used Bosch's descaling/disinfect powder followed by vinegar after a few days on the WM. Never add clothes to the machine when you use either of these products!

Add 250 ml of vinegar directly to the tub, use the hottest possible temperature and longest cycle for e.g. Cotton at 90 C and let it run the cycle. When done run a "rinse only" (without clothes again) cycle to clean the smell out. Leave the machine door open till the interiors are dry. Wipe the door gasket carefully.

Upvote 0
he is not descaling the machine. he is washing cloths with vinegar 😕

Upvote 0
Yes I read that part. I was trying to say the only time I use vinegar is to descale/disinfect the machine. If used on clothes they will stink. 🙂 Clothes can be washed with bleach based on instructions by the manufacturer. I got a bottle of clorox for this purpose. Clorox also works for only disinfecting (not descaling) the machine.

Upvote 0
My mom do use vinegar as an alternative for vanish. Not sure how good it works out. She sprays vinegar on collars and cuffs and wait for a few minutes before putting them in the machine.

Upvote 0
@Sushubh I do my laundry twice a week. The clothes start to smell a bit due to sweat and being moist for a period of time. Vinegar helps to get rid of those foul bacteria and smell. I add it to the fabric softner tray so in case if any odor exits it is taken care off.
I am strictly against use of fabric softner as they do more harm than good in the medium to long run. Sirca/vinegar is a household product used since ages before fabric conditioners came into existence. Even the videos below mention the usefulness of vinegar, she has totally dumped using conditioners. I was a bit skeptical but a thread on reddit also confirmed the harmful effects of the same. Hence I had told you that softners are petroleum based products which reduces the breathing ability of your fabric, and hence going dull.

Source

Source

Source

My mom do use vinegar as an alternative for vanish. Not sure how good it works out. She sprays vinegar on collars and cuffs and wait for a few minutes before putting them in the machine.
This!! Even Melissa(above videos) has mentioned in her videos how spraying raw vinegar on stained clothes (sweat stains, oil stains, haldi etc) helps in breaking those oil, salt bonds thereby removing those stains. After reading that Mom uses it, I am more inclined to do it. Thanks again for confirming it.. 🙂

@Chip I never had issues when I use vinegar for cleaning the machine. After tub clean, there won't be any smell of it. Clorox is the literally big daddy when it comes to cleaning and disinfectant. I had used Rin Ala on my pillow and it did help remove those stubborn stains. I bet, Clorox will kill those stains. Have you used Rin Ala by any chance? Are both the same when it comes to effectiveness?

@manu1991 Reetha and Kesh Shikakai are our herbal products since ages. Can you elaborate how did you use in machine? Just curious, did you try using other detergent when you experienced issues with it. I faced itching issues when using Ariel Matic. Switched to Tide and no more issues.

Upvote 0
Yes I did try a few but none of them seemed to work.

This is the one I use, it comes with a small cloth pouch with a string to close it, you put 4-5 of them in it and put it along with the clothes in the main drum, then discard them at the end.

Upvote 0
So just bought this machine today: Elite WX

Have had a good experience with IFB since our old machine is also an IFB piece, about 10 years old. Total cost of the new one was around 31.5K including card cashback and exchange.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if I should change my washing machine. I've an IFB Senorita SX 6kg machine, about 8 years old. It's working fine except for the quick 30 mode. It starts beeping a lot during the operation.

Upvote 0
Did you try asking the IFB people what is the issue with the machine? Could be related something to PCB.

Upvote 0
@Tejas01 I've been procrastinating it. Dealing with the support team feels distressing. Their priority is to make the biggest bill possible. Any idea how much do they charge for a PCB replacement?

Upvote 0
Actually pcb might not cost that much for simpler machines. LG soft touch panel that we have might cost a bit more.

Upvote 0
No harm in getting it checked to diagnose the issue. No compulsion to get it replaced if you feel the price is not worth it.

Upvote 0