• Thread starter Thread starter Tejas01
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 229
  • Views Views 23,704

Tejas01

Dream big in life.
ISP
Airtel XStream Fiber
This will be my first washing machine and I am truly clueless what should I look for. Need your help with some pointers. Following are some details if they help.

1. Top load machine for a family of two.
2. Weight- between 6-7 kg. I mean I don't know. Will 7 kg be too much for 2 people. We will be primarily using it for washing heavy clothes like bedsheets, curtains, recron pillows. I was thinking of getting 6.5 kgs if in case there is extra load. 7 kg just to be extra safe.
3. Which brand to look for? No idea. LG seems fine. Any brand which has a better service record. I have had bad experiences with big brands like Sony, Hitachi, IFB. So will be avoiding them. Samsung, LG have been good for me. My 2002 Samsung refrigerator still going strong.
4. Most important- I live in an area where the issue of corrosion is significant. So any company which offers durable electronics will be preferred.(Seems LG already got a head start here with corrosion proof and inverter tech.)
5. Availability of spare parts.
6. I live on 4th floor and the main water tank is on the 8th floor(terrace). So I am assuming there shouldn't be any issue with water pressure. In summers it may create some problem when water supply is reduced.
7. Budget 15,000-18,000.
8. Can i get a heater in top load models? From what I searched for, didn't find any.
What are the other things I need to look for? Do I need to get a wheel tray? I mean I am looking at a possibility that I might have to move the machine during summers when water supply and pressure is low.
What are the demerits of not having the required water pressure?

Liquid dissolves easily in hot or cold water, while powder could leave white stains if not properly dissolved, especially in cold/normal water. Also, the new machines use less water so this goes against powder.
Some complain of powder forming a sticky paste sought off, but that can be easily taken care off by washing the dispenser tray under running water. Never had any issue till now.
I think as per LG, whites, dirst from mud, soil are the common dirt which needs to be cleaned and powder has been claimed to have better cleaning properties for such dirt.
I went for Ariel liquid coz I do my laundry in cold water and also wanted to try something different to see which cleans better.

Upvote 0
how you use vinegar in laundary in pre wash or at rinse , also if i need to use at rinse where to put vinegar

Upvote 0
Top load generates more foam. It should work fine if you don't fully load the drum with cloths. Because of limited space in front load machines, too much foam becomes a problem because it's harder for clothes to get rinsed properly I believe. Online sources indicate that leftover soap content could eventually damage the drum and even the machine.

Use less quantity of top load if you do want to use it.

Upvote 0
in longer run, just keep an eye on deals on Amazon, flipkart and other sources. prices are increased a lot in last six months. i used to be able to buy 2L front load liquid for under 300 with discounts. now it is hard to get them under 360. powder is easy. just buy the six kg box and it comes out to be pretty cheap. but it just is not nice on clothes compared to liquid.

there is also not much price gap between front load and top load detergent. it's there but not significant. for a 2L pack, it usually comes to around 30-40 bucks. so try to stick to front load liquid detergent. and if washing load is not much in your household... just dump everything and switch to pods.

Upvote 0
i have tried ariel a couple of times, i always come back to surf. i currently have a 6KG powder pack of ariel that i am struggling to finish. hard to explain. my t-shirts became rough after a few days. so ended up switching to pods. powder is now used for larger items like towels, bedsheets and curtains. haven't used ariel liquid in a long time coz surf is usually always cheaper online. but it should be fine.

i mean you can also try other brands. Amazon has their own brand of liquid and powder detergent. detergent in the end is detergent. brands do not put any magic in it. it's all marketing. in the end your family should be happy with the end result. i have tried amazon's and grofer's self branded detergents and they have also been fine.

i actually know people who don't give a shit for all this marketing thing. they use plain rin powder in their machines and they have been happy with it. for them, soap is soap. and machine's job is to just wash the cloth using that soap. so it changes from person to person. i am still getting used to very strong smell that comes from clothes after washing them in pods. but people who have been using pods for a while love that smell for instance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
one wash could be a single cloth item or machine full of clothes. use as per recommended quantity on the bottle. decent load one cap. low load, half cap. full load, probably 1.5 cap? for top load detergent, probably reduce quantity by 25-50%. just remember, too much detergent is not good. it would fill the drum with sud (foam). dirty clothes? soak in water first and get rid of mud etc. go through the manual of the machine as well. it has good information on everything.

Upvote 0
any idea how much 1 cap has qty in ml , i dont have any bottle of liquid bought that refil coz that was cheap

Upvote 0
right without a cup it can be a problem. you would still need some kind of bottle to keep the liquid. using the refill carton directly might result in excess detergent going into the machine. i actually tend to use dish wash bottles with nozzles. if you don't have any, buy a cheap one and use that.

cRBIgTP.webp

Upvote 0
again. depends upon the load. if i was living alone, it would last for a long time. at my place, it does not last for very long. hence the mixture of all three types of products. do not think much about it. it is all a trial and error. try different types of detergents. eventually you would find out what works for your own specific needs.

Upvote 0