• Thread starter Thread starter jamie
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 12,068

jamie

Hotshot
ISP
SSV D-Vois
I am eyeing the 5Mbps half-yearly plan which costs Rs. 7000 which on paper appears reasonable & tempting.OK, here's the thing I have never heard of SSwhat technologies before.Upon doing some research(googling) I found out that SSV technologies is a channel partner/distributor of Fivenet in Navi Mumbai, so does that mean that SSV will provide fivenet connection.They also don't have a website to speak of, so I cant check the tariffs either.Do they implement Fair Usage Policy?If yes, after how much usage & what is the speed after hitting the fair usage limit?Assuming it is fivenet connection,what is the general network downtime/outage duration?How is the customer care feedback if any?How long does it usually take to fix connectivity problems if service goes down for some reason?I am asking because I don't want to get royally screwed after getting a half-yearly plan.What r the installation,activation,maintenance & dc hub charges?

i have gone through this section , if someone can help, am moving to b'bay at june end , this kinda what i am looking for , it looks like they are in navi mumbai which is fine , but i kinda don't want to go through the cable guy , i tried calling fivenet but was not able to get through and can't find anything SSV !! my requirment is kinda strange i need a dedicated burst pipe to p.c with a static ip or let's say a leased line atleast that was my only option with mtln, does any one know that SSV or even fivenet gives out a leased line with a minimum speed of 50/50 full duplex ?edit , can some from b'bay get ssv telephone numbers or something , would be greatfullthnx

I am eyeing the 5Mbps half-yearly plan which costs Rs. 7000 which on paper appears reasonable & tempting.
OK, here's the thing I have never heard of SSwhat technologies before.
Upon doing some research(googling) I found out that SSV technologies is a channel partner/distributor of Fivenet in Navi Mumbai, so does that mean that SSV will provide fivenet connection.

Yes. They will add their own charges on top of this Rs7,000 - this covers SSV's infrastructure, as it is SSV who is providing the actual cabling. This is true of most ISPs that aren't using ADSL (in other words, most ISPs except MTNL, Reliance & Airtel).

They also don't have a website to speak of, so I cant check the tariffs either.
Do they implement Fair Usage Policy?If yes, after how much usage & what is the speed after hitting the fair usage limit?

You will have to call SSV. AFAIK, they do not.

Assuming it is fivenet connection,what is the general network downtime/outage duration?
How is the customer care feedback if any?
How long does it usually take to fix connectivity problems if service goes down for some reason?
I am asking because I don't want to get royally screwed after getting a half-yearly plan.
What r the installation,activation,maintenance & dc hub charges?

All of these are subject to SSV itself, not Fivenet. If you've got some skills, you may be able to negotiate a decent deal with SSV for all of these. AFAIK, DC++ should be free.

my requirment is kinda strange i need a dedicated burst pipe to p.c with a static ip or let's say a leased line atleast that was my only option with mtln, does any one know that SSV or even fivenet gives out a leased line with a minimum speed of 50/50 full duplex ?

Most ISPs will give you such a line if you're willing to pay the price.

edit , can some from b'bay get ssv telephone numbers or something , would be greatfull

thnx

A little Googling/Justdialing works a charm: here's a link to their Sulekha listing: SSV Technologies Pvt. Ltd. Navi Mumbai|SSV Technologies Pvt. Ltd. Mumbai|SSV Technologies Pvt. Ltd. Ratings & Reviews on Sulekha

thank you fair sir , your googling skill are better then mine , may the force be with you. sending a mailer let's see, yep , i know most isp's would cut a deal on this , but all the big players tend to bleed you dry , am trying to work out deal for a commercial plus a home line on same basis.

SSV is just another channel partner of fivenet in navi mumbai and they have monopoly here, so yes..they have license to screw you (royally) they charge approx 2k extra for each plan and you can't do anything about it (Fivenet don't operate on there own so you can't complain by calling on there site nos). Service is very good if you reside in vashi (i am fortunate to be there 😛) yes,Fivenet have no Fair Usage policy!!!

SSV is just another channel partner of fivenet in navi mumbai and they have monopoly here, so yes..they have license to screw you (royally) they charge approx 2k extra for each plan and you can't do anything about it (Fivenet don't operate on there own so you can't complain by calling on there site nos). Service is very good if you reside in vashi
I don't live in Vashi :iomg: therefore I would like to know how do u complain when the connection goes down?
What is the downtime duration (generally) & what is the feedback/response time of SSV?
Coz if for instance the connection goes down today & SSV fixes it after 2 days,then that
would be a deal breaker!!! :nono: I would not be able to tolerate that sort of incompetence & unreliability.

Update: Shifted to Fivenet thru local SSV. Customer care is really bad. When I took the connection I was told that they had a response tome of 1day i.e. whatever connection problems I had would be solved within a day but that is not the case. Generally, they don't have any available technician. Currently facing the following problems, 1. Error 651 on Windows 7 PC. Fivenet works by creating a dial-up pppoe connection.When I create a new dial-up connection & try to login I get error 651. I have not been able to find a solution to this problem. 2 technicians have tried to setup the connection on windows 7 & they have failed. I have the latest network card drivers installed also tried reinstalling drivers.Hell, even tried vista drivers. Surprisingly the same dial-up connection login working on another Vista pc. Any other Fivenet subscriber running windows 7 ? Please help. 2. Speeds vary frequently. I am on 1.5Mbps plan [1500kbps or1500/8=187.5kBps] At best when the connection is stable,the maximum actual download speed I get is 165kBps [165kBps*8=1320kbps or 1.3Mbps] Other times, I get constant speeds of 80kBps or 640kbps. Complained several times, even showed the problem to the technician when he visited & he was unable to fix it. Any other Fivenet users experiencing speed problems please reply. 3. When it rains, connection goes down. Experience loss of connectivity as soon as it starts pouring. If connection is still active during light rain, there is high packet loss of around 56% etc. Ping becomes high & also jitter.

Update: Shifted to Fivenet thru local SSV. Customer care is really bad. When I took the connection I was told that they had a response tome of 1day i.e. whatever connection problems I had would be solved within a day but that is not the case. Generally, they don't have any available technician. Currently facing the following problems,
1. Error 651 on Windows 7 PC. Fivenet works by creating a dial-up pppoe connection.When I create a new dial-up connection & try to login I get error 651. I have not been able to find a solution to this problem. 2 technicians have tried to setup the connection on windows 7 & they have failed. I have the latest network card drivers installed also tried reinstalling drivers.Hell, even tried vista drivers. Surprisingly the same dial-up connection login working on another Vista pc. Any other Fivenet subscriber running windows 7 ? Please help.
2. Speeds vary frequently. I am on 1.5Mbps plan [1500kbps or1500/8=187.5kBps] At best when the connection is stable,the maximum actual download speed I get is 165kBps [165kBps*8=1320kbps or 1.3Mbps] Other times, I get constant speeds of 80kBps or 640kbps. Complained several times, even showed the problem to the technician when he visited & he was unable to fix it. Any other Fivenet users experiencing speed problems please reply.
3. When it rains, connection goes down. Experience loss of connectivity as soon as it starts pouring. If connection is still active during light rain, there is high packet loss of around 56% etc. Ping becomes high & also jitter.

1. Most people tend to replace raspppoe.sys with the vista version, but if your copy of Windows is up to date, then I would be surprised if this issue hasn't been fixed, since it's rather old. I wonder if SSV is using port binding as well as the PPPoE? If so, maybe you'd be better off getting an ethernet router (D-Link DIR-615 or similar) to do the PPPoE dialing for you, then you can plug in more than 1 computer at a time and surf the net simultaneously.
2. What speed you get depends on where you're downloading from and is often even affected by the time of the day. If you're downloading from outside of Fivenet's network, they have absolutely zero control over the rest of the Internet, so this can't really be helped. If you're downloading some file from the USA at midday IST, then you're competing with peak business hours in East Asia and peak hours in the Western USA - congestion is to be expected, and (as much as it would be nice if our ISPs could fix these things) there's not much Fivenet or any other ISP can do about it.
3. This one *is* SSVs fault and should be fixed immediately. Could be bad wiring which is letting water in (and thus kind of short circuiting) or worse, one of their switches is exposed or the box that it's housed in is leaky - something like that. It might pay to find out if other users in your area are experiencing the same issues, and go from there.

i'm not sure about SSV's Fivenet service,.. but i had SSV's 24online connection for a couple of months, and the service sucked balls. frequent disconnections, had to call the CC almost every week. and the latency wasnt any good either. i live in koparkhairane.

1. Most people tend to replace raspppoe.sys with the vista version, but if your copy of Windows is up to date, then I would be surprised if this issue hasn't been fixed, since it's rather old. I wonder if SSV is using port binding as well as the PPPoE? If so, maybe you'd be better off getting an ethernet router (D-Link DIR-615 or similar) to do the PPPoE dialing for you, then you can plug in more than 1 computer at a time and surf the net simultaneously.
2. What speed you get depends on where you're downloading from and is often even affected by the time of the day. If you're downloading from outside of Fivenet's network, they have absolutely zero control over the rest of the Internet, so this can't really be helped. If you're downloading some file from the USA at midday IST, then you're competing with peak business hours in East Asia and peak hours in the Western USA - congestion is to be expected, and (as much as it would be nice if our ISPs could fix these things) there's not much Fivenet or any other ISP can do about it.
3. This one *is* SSVs fault and should be fixed immediately. Could be bad wiring which is letting water in (and thus kind of short circuiting) or worse, one of their switches is exposed or the box that it's housed in is leaky - something like that. It might pay to find out if other users in your area are experiencing the same issues, and go from there.

Thanks, for the quick reply Mgcarley.
1. That's exactly how I am running it right now. I am letting my dual band router handle the PPPoE dialing but the thing is now I have to run my router for just 1 device. My other pc has been out of commission for sometime now. Although its a workaround for people having routers like myself, ideally I would want to plug the ethernet cable directly into my pc.People generally don't go out & buy a router just so that they can use their net connection right. I will explain the 2nd reason why-->When I use dial-up on their pc & get login error & login fails for some reason an error code/specific no. is generated which on calling SSV is asked for, but when I let my router handle PPPoE I dont get that error "number" essentially the error is that broadband modem is experiencing connectivity issues, which doesn't provide any insight.
Basically it is a case of SSV wanting the error code to solve the complaint, very lame I know.
Regarding the raspppoe.sys driver from vista I have already tried that & I get different errors such as 797, 633. SSV technician who visited my house didn't know how to do it either & instead said that my pc was faulty can u believe that!
This pppoe issue is really old & on googling I find that to this date people r still facing this problem, some solutions r listed but they don't work for everybody.Its hit or miss.
2. I understand that speeds depend on the server I am downloading from, but shouldn't the "total" available speed/bandwidth of simultaneous multiple downloads add upto the plan speed. Shouldn't atleast one server of the many that I tried downloading from give the proper speed. I mean it could be traffic shaping or sneaky FUP implementation.
3. Do u mean the coating of the cable coming to my house has been damaged & water is leaking into it & shortcuiting the cable.
By the way what is the network switch connected to i.e. other than the user pc's & routers, how/from where does the switch get its internet connectivity from? Sorry, not a network expert but curious how the whole thing works.
I suspected the same about packet loss but I have seen in the past with other ISPs that many times technicians would just patch up the exposed cables which is only a temporary fix.
I guess my major concern is not getting speeds that I have paid in advance for. Really sometimes I don't even get half the speeds.
Another thing I have noticed is that SSV is using a couple of miniature 8 port switches of which all the ports are being used.
Could network congestion because of maximum users on switch cause reduced speeds or is it just traffic shaping?

Thanks, for the quick reply Mgcarley.
1. That's exactly how I am running it right now. I am letting my dual band router handle the PPPoE dialing but the thing is now I have to run my router for just 1 device. My other pc has been out of commission for sometime now. Although its a workaround for people having routers like myself, ideally I would want to plug the ethernet cable directly into my pc.People generally don't go out & buy a router just so that they can use their net connection right.

1. Based on the information provided, I assumed you had more than 1 active computer.

I will explain the 2nd reason why-->When I use dial-up on their pc & get login error & login fails for some reason an error code/specific no. is generated which on calling SSV is asked for, but when I let my router handle PPPoE I dont get that error "number" essentially the error is that broadband modem is experiencing connectivity issues, which doesn't provide any insight.
Basically it is a case of SSV wanting the error code to solve the complaint, very lame I know.

Not really. Without error codes and detailed information, diagnostics are pretty hard, otherwise for all the tech support person knows, your network card driver actually might be foobar. How is he supposed to guess over the phone?

Regarding the raspppoe.sys driver from vista I have already tried that & I get different errors such as 797, 633. SSV technician who visited my house didn't know how to do it either & instead said that my pc was faulty can u believe that!

Yes, I can believe that. Over the past 2.5 years, I've heard all sorts of horror stories about tech support from ISPs in India.

This pppoe issue is really old & on googling I find that to this date people r still facing this problem, some solutions r listed but they don't work for everybody.Its hit or miss.

I've noticed this as well, although for my home I have multiple devices connected to a router, so I don't have to worry about PPPoE or anything.

2. I understand that speeds depend on the server I am downloading from, but shouldn't the "total" available speed/bandwidth of simultaneous multiple downloads add upto the plan speed. Shouldn't atleast one server of the many that I tried downloading from give the proper speed. I mean it could be traffic shaping or sneaky FUP implementation.

Probably neither. It could just be congestion or a combination of other factors including but not limited to TCP/IP overheads.

3. Do u mean the coating of the cable coming to my house has been damaged & water is leaking into it & shortcuiting the cable.

Or it could be some other cable between SSV and you - it's hard to say. All I know is that I've personally witnessed some rather shocking installations all over India, so I would hardly be surprised if there wasn't an issue somewhere.

By the way what is the network switch connected to i.e. other than the user pc's & routers, how/from where does the switch get its internet connectivity from? Sorry, not a network expert but curious how the whole thing works.

It will connect to another piece of equipment probably at SSVs office, or may go in to some street-side cabinet or fiber pit somewhere to be joined on to SSV's main infrastructure and from there go to SSVs office - depends how SSV has it's network set up in your area.

I suspected the same about packet loss but I have seen in the past with other ISPs that many times technicians would just patch up the exposed cables which is only a temporary fix.

I've seen that too. It's quite mortifying.

I guess my major concern is not getting speeds that I have paid in advance for. Really sometimes I don't even get half the speeds.
Another thing I have noticed is that SSV is using a couple of miniature 8 port switches of which all the ports are being used.
Could network congestion because of maximum users on switch cause reduced speeds or is it just traffic shaping?

It's unlikely that traffic shaping is being implemented on normal HTTP downloads, and most normal switches are not capable of it, either, but it could be being done at the office of either SSV or Fivenet on all their giant routers.

On the other hand, if you're talking about torrents it's hard to say, because that also depends on the quality of the connections at the other end, too - worse still if those users are all abroad and you happen to be trying to download at the busiest times of the day.

I have a connection in NZ which runs at "line speed" which means "I get whatever I get based on the condition of the network at any given time" - so sometimes I might get 2mbit/s to the USA, other times I might get 15mbit/s to the USA depending on the time of day. My ISP doesn't do any traffic shaping or artificial limiting at all - so long as I pay for my data usage, they're happy. However, I'm sure that if I were able to get an "unlimited connection" then the situation may be vastly different.

The best test you could run would be to try pulling something down from filehippo.com or microsoft.com and seeing what speed you get. If you can get about 180kbit/s on a 1.5mbit/s connection, you're doing exceedingly well, and if you're concerned about your ISP performing traffic shaping, try the glasnost test.

ppl r abusing SSV on the dc++ hub with the choicest of phrases right now!!btw fivenet doesnt do traffic shaping.

So Let me ask Which Internet provider is good in Vashi??? Youtelecom suks big time ... Now even ssv is bad so ...What u guys think which is good ..has anyone tryed MTNL or reliance broadband connection??

So Let me ask Which Internet provider is good in Vashi??? Youtelecom suks big time ... Now even ssv is bad so ...What u guys think which is good ..has anyone tryed MTNL or reliance broadband connection??
Previously using MTNL before shifting to Fivenet/SSV. Same story with MTNL i.e. customer care pathetic to non-existent.
Once your connection goes down, it could be days before MTNL fixes it. In my case connection lost( no connectivity) since Friday, waited till Monday & finally on monday late afternoon went to the exchange, returned the modem & got stopped their internet service.
Most ISPs will collect the complaints of their customers from a particular area & only after having got a lot of complaints from that area will they send someone.

ppl r abusing SSV on the dc++ hub with the choicest of phrases right now!!
btw fivenet doesnt do traffic shaping.

I have changed to 5Mbps plan. Sometimes I get decent speeds (ofcourse not 5Mbps) & other times I don't even get 1Mbps.
Tried it on different browsers ie 9,firefox 5 & chrome 12.Cleared cache,temporary,etc. as well.
Traffic shaping or not I am not getting close to my plan speed most of the time. Add to that the random disconnections that I get & voila` totally screwed.
Soodgautam had mentioned that he gets 4Mbps on his 10Mbps connection.
But note that the 10 Mbps connection in reality will be 4 Mbps for torrents and browsing...and sometimes speed bursts will be there upto 10 Mbps -
Right now I am getting this...........:curse: & that too on a Mumbai server.It only gets worse when I choose a distant server

----------

Not really. Without error codes and detailed information, diagnostics are pretty hard, otherwise for all the tech support person knows, your network card driver actually might be foobar. How is he supposed to guess over the phone?

It's unlikely that traffic shaping is being implemented on normal HTTP downloads, and most normal switches are not capable of it, either, but it could be being done at the office of either SSV or Fivenet on all their giant routers.

On the other hand, if you're talking about torrents it's hard to say, because that also depends on the quality of the connections at the other end, too - worse still if those users are all abroad and you happen to be trying to download at the busiest times of the day.

I have a connection in NZ which runs at "line speed" which means "I get whatever I get based on the condition of the network at any given time" - so sometimes I might get 2mbit/s to the USA, other times I might get 15mbit/s to the USA depending on the time of day. My ISP doesn't do any traffic shaping or artificial limiting at all - so long as I pay for my data usage, they're happy. However, I'm sure that if I were able to get an "unlimited connection" then the situation may be vastly different.

The best test you could run would be to try pulling something down from filehippo.com or microsoft.com and seeing what speed you get. If you can get about 180kbit/s on a 1.5mbit/s connection, you're doing exceedingly well, and if you're concerned about your ISP performing traffic shaping, try the glasnost test.

Changed to 5Mbps unlimited plan. Speeds vary after using it for sometime. Really weird. Dunno why it happens.
1. Regarding error codes I dont think I was able to properly explain the situation to you.
I provide them with whatever error information I get but since it is not possible for me to have a direct connection to the pc( read previous posts error 651)
I cant provide the tech support those error nos which are generated when the pc handles pppoe dialing. However, that does not mean I don't provide them with the error "messages" generated by my router handling pppoe.
Moreover, I run my own batch of tests before calling tech support which includes checking my network adapter,the router, tcp/ip stack, ping test for packet loss, speedtest, etc. I guess what I am trying to convey is that I provide tech support with detailed information which they r unable to understand( e.g when i mention ping or packet loss they react as if they r hearing it for the first time, they go ....what loss?) & they only want the error code nothing more nothing less to give to the so-called technician.

Result of glasnost test
[h=3]Is your upload traffic rate limited?[/h]There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.
[h=3]Is your download traffic rate limited?[/h]Your ISP appears to rate limit your downloads.
However, some of the measurements were affected by noise, which limits Glasnost ability to detect rate limiting.
Details: Your ISP appears to rate limit your HTTP downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 55 Kbps while downloads using HTTP achieved up to 31 Kbps.
Your ISP appears to rate limit downloads on port 39341. In our tests, downloads on port 33028 achieved up to 31 Kbps while downloads on port 39341 achieved up to 86 Kbps.