Need help for zipping a mammoth file!!!!!

coolvaibh2009

ISP
BSNL
Hello all forum members,I need help for zipping a file which is of size too big (8.39 GBs). Actually, my computer is having 40 GB hard disc. I had devided it into equal partitions of 10 GB each. I got a file from my friend through his 32 GB Flash Drive. At that time i was having one of my partition completely empty. So, i copied that file on it. Now the main problem arised today, i bought a Dual Layer DvD of Moser Baer which is known to have storage capacity of 8.5 GBs. When i tried to burn that file on this disc the disc was thrown out by Nero stating that this disc is not having the required capacity to burn the compilation.Then i checked the disc using Nero Drive Speed and found that the actual recordable capacity on the DvD is only 7.9 GBs!!!!!So what can i do now? I want to remove this file from my pc and want to have its backup on a disc. How can i do that? This is my 1st Question.Now, i thought that let's try to add this file to an archive (compress). So i tried to do this by WinRaR but, as i stated earlier my HDD partition is of only 10 GBs (usable out of it is only 9.5 GBs due to space reserved for Windows).So, i tried to search for any option in WinRar and also in WinZip, by which i can compress the file but to create the compressed file on another partition of my HDD. But, i was not able to find such an option in either of the softwares!!!!!!Please tell me, am i doing something wrong while using these softwares? Is there any option to create the compressed file onto another partion other than the partition on which the original file is stored? This is my second Question!!!!!!I am having enough free space on other partion on which the archive can be placed, but not on the partion where the original file is saved.Please help me friends, i am in great stress!!! My pc is performing very slow due to such huge file stored on it.Is there any solution for either of the above mentioned two problems?Please give a positive response for this!!!!!And i believe that you people must be having a perfect and easy solution for this.Looking forward for all you people's generous help...............Thank you........................

btw what format is the file?there are good chances that you might be able to reduce the size of this file because it is already compressed in nature (divx, xdiv, mov)...

Try using a file splitter. Google for 100s of free ones & choose the one that suits you. Also find 2-3 sample links

Free File Splitter
GSplit - File Splitter - Split Any File
The File Splitter

----------

Just in case you are not aware , a file splitter, as the name suggests does that.
You can split the file into multiple parts & join them later.
I have used them before for sending split video files through emails which usually have file size restrictions for attachment

My pc is performing very slow due to such huge file stored on it.

that surely is an invalid statement and incorrect assumption. if the main reason for this thread is that your PC is slow then some other issue is going on... what OS/version are you using? even old OS on old hardware will not have problems simply by storing large files...but you must be having a newer OS with filesystem like NTFS since you storing 8+ GB file...

Try using a file splitter. Google for 100s of free ones & choose the one that suits you. Also find 2-3 sample links

Free File Splitter
The File Splitter[COLOR=\"Silver\"]

----------

[/COLOR]Just in case you are not aware , a file splitter, as the name suggests does that.
I have used them before for sending split video files through emails which usually have file size restrictions for attachment

^+1

Free File Splitter

----------

[/COLOR]Just in case you are not aware , a file splitter, as the name suggests does that.

possibly the OP may have winrar or 7zip installed, which can split the file. though set the compression level to store only, else it may take a long time compressing...

Free File Splitter

----------

1+

I think that might be a Game or A HD movie ....