• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 1,419

techtata

Regular
ISP
Tata Indicom
Dear Friends,

I want to buy an external hard drive, but I have the following questions that need immediate anwsers as I have never

used one.

1. Which brands are better? I generally buy online and that too from Flipkart as I am happy with their service so far.

External hard disks - Buy External hard disks Online at Best Prices in India - Laptop Accessories : Computers | Flipkart.com

2. I think all the portable external hard drives can be connected to a desktop/laptop via a USB cable and that is all, am

I right here? All I have to do is use a USB cable that comes with the drive to connect it to my 2 computers, one and

laptop and one desktop with the following motherboard. I want to use it with both laptops and desktops.

GA-G41MT-S2

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-G41MT-S2 (rev. 1.5)

As far as I understand I should only buy one with USB 2.0 connectivity and not USB 3.0 as my desktop motherboard

does not have USB 3.0 connectivity. Or I can buy one with 3.0 connectivity and still use it with my desktop as it will

work with 2.0 USB port on the motherboard with in-built backward compatibility features. Am I right?

3. Which brands offer more warranty based on your experience?

I am thinking of buying it on Dec 12 as it is going to be cyber Monday, which as concept similar to USA in the sense

that a particular day in a year, major e-commerce sites offer huge discounts on many product categories for a period of

24 hours. So please hurry up with your advice/suggestions.

Google, Indiatimes Shopping, Flipkart, Snapdeal, others to bring 'Cyber Monday' to India - Times Of India
travel-sites-monster-india

Thanks.

There are not many hard disks company left in the market. So you get the one with the best warranty. Some hard disks would require a power adapter. Avoid them. Get the one which can operate with a SINGLE usb port. USB 3 drives would work with USB 2 ports.

Some hard disks would require a power adapter. Avoid them. Get the one which can operate with a SINGLE usb port.

USB 3 drives would work with USB 2 ports.

Thanks a lot. I need to know these two things. I was really confused about the ones with the power adapter.

i cannot recommend any specific model. just make sure you buy one which works with a single usb cable. the ones with two usb cable are a headache to use as they might not work on some computers if the USB ports are under powered. just read the product descriptions. they usually clarify what kind of cable is required for them to work.

all of them look good. hard to suggest anything particular. transcend one looks rugged so might be worth consideration.

Thanks guys.I am looking forward to that online festival on 12/12/2012 as many big site are supposedly to offer good discounts, fingers crossed. Regards.