• Start date
  • Replies: Replies 27
  • Views: Views 10,919
D

Dark_Knight

Regular
ISP
MTNL
Hi,I wanted to go for a broadband connection. I stay at Andheri, Mumbai. I would really love to have an unlimited plan, and I am ready to pay around 1000 pm. Even 128 kbps will do since net will be used for gaming and heavy downloading.Can anyone help me with this?

N

netfreak

Regulars
ISP
Airtel GPRS EDGE + VSNL
Check if airtel is available in your area. They have 256 kbps unlimited plan.Otherwise go for MTNL package that gives unlimited downloads from 12 to 8.

M

max

Regulars
ISP
MTNL
check out if exatt is available in your area.

R

Rush

Regulars
ISP
Reliance WiMax | TATA Broadband | Triband
Exatt, since u r in andheri... if u get the connection directly from them without any "cablewalla" then u can expect 256k for 800 bucks

D

Dark_Knight

Regular
ISP
MTNL
Do u hav contact no of Exattnet? How is the service and CC etc?

M

max

Regulars
ISP
MTNL
go to exatt.net and get their details. CC is ok.

Y

y5krahul

exatt services r too good... there arent any downtimes if u get a direct connection from them. if ur getting the connection from the cablewallah, then the downtime depends on the service of the cablewallah....

A

Asterix

Regular
ISP
MTNL
If Airtel isn't available you might want to consider Tata Indicom which has a 128 kbps unlimited for 1000. Be sure to read the posts in the relevant forum though since a number of people have had problems with their service. My personal experience with them: horrible installation wait with much delay and confusion. Since then service has been tolerable but only barely. I will probably be sticking with them for a while until something clearly better comes along.

D

Dark_Knight

Regular
ISP
MTNL
There's an MTNL Branch office near my house, about 15-20 min walking, does this mean, that MTNL d/l speeds will be better for me?

N

netfreak

Regulars
ISP
Airtel GPRS EDGE + VSNL
I live 4 KM away from exchange, getting full 256 kbps. So distance should not matter. Proabably it affects only above a certain level of bandwidth.

A

amogh_gulwady

Viking Warrior
ISP
MTNL
It has nothing to do with distance as the crow flies or by road. It is cable length which matters.

D

Dark_Knight

Regular
ISP
MTNL
Doesnt length of cable somewhat depend on distance between the 2 places?

N

netfreak

Regulars
ISP
Airtel GPRS EDGE + VSNL
http://www.nettonet.com/support/quickref.n2n

According to Data on that page. Connections of 256 kpbs should be fine up to 4 -5 KM of cable length.

Unless you are going for connections that measure speeds in mbps, it should not have any practical impact.

A

amogh_gulwady

Viking Warrior
ISP
MTNL
Originally posted by [email protected] 6 2006, 03:37 PM
Doesnt length of cable somewhat depend on distance between the 2 places?
[snapback]38437[/snapback]
[/quote]

To an extent yes, but then again...cables are not laid as a straight line between point A and B... it depends on various other factors... :)

D

Dark_Knight

Regular
ISP
MTNL
I checked out a few isps.. here's what they have to say:Airtel : Great schemes with good service (my first choice).. They said they have reached only till Lokhandwala (Thats like 10 min from my place !)Exattnet : This was second first choice.. (really cheap prices!). They will be coming to my area in a coupl of months. (They are negotiating a deal with 7 star.. my cable operator.. the cable-net provider from whom I want freedom)Reliance: Didnt care much abt this one.. they said they will take some time, as they havent even reached NEAR my area.Pacenet: after exattnet, this one was prefered.. When I asked them whter they provide services in 4 bunglows, they said 'Haanji... bilkul', I was so happy.. finally I get freedom from the crappy scheme of 7 star. Then he asked 'aapke building ka naam kyaa hai?' When I told him the name, he says 'Sorry sir, hum udhar provide nahin karte' . Im like, what sh*t man.. why not in my building.. these 7 star guys are like big gundaas here.Looks like I'll have to go for MTNL.. But all of us know.. MTNL hai, toh sahi (nahin) hai!