Need a website for online learning

• Thread starter Thread starter Jonas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 3,180
ISP
Excitel
Airtel & Vi
So I'm thinking about making a website for learners who want to learn a language online mainly 'English' and Hindi. The main features needed are:
  1. Online assessment
  2. Student portal where they can see the courses they've signed up for
  3. Creation of programs and courses the access of which can be modified or assigned as per learner's task completion or manually

How should we go about it?

P.s I've $ 41 credits on themeforest, so I can buy resources from that website if you guys suggest.

I was also thinking on working on the same.

After a lot of thoughts here is what I came to how to go about it:

1) Use as much as open and freely avaialble infra, keep website as way for positive interaction through UI/UX only
-->Video Infra: Youtube
-->Discussion Infra : Discourse

Online assessment : It requires lots of grunt work which depends on the form and structure of your assessment, so please elaborate.

Student portal where they can see the courses they've signed up for

OneUI theme available on themeforest for $28 is quite good for designing portals.

Creation of programs and courses the access of which can be modified or assigned as per learner's task completion or manually

While the implementation of such is easy and a grunt work, proper design of tasks/assements such that it encourages the learner in right direction is hard, I would suggest follow the blogs of learning companies and few research on education for right pointer to how to go about it 🙂

I'm trying out a few things with WordPress as of now. Here is what I need to do:

1. Add a few quizzes that are restricted by either payment or membership.

2. Add quizzes with MCQs. If there's an option to add multimedia content that would be great.

So, can you guys suggest trusted add-ons for the same? Paid or free both.

You can look at WordPress LMS Plugin by LearnDash® - It can do everything you require I guess - create online courses, charge fees and even add quizzes. It's an expensive addon without a free trial but they do have a 30-day refund policy if you don't like the product.

But if you are looking just to add quizzes, there are lots of choices. - You can see some of the options at WpBeginner: 9 Best Quiz Plugins for WordPress (2020) - Most of them are free.

Now I am not sure if there are any plugins that will allow you to restrict quizzes specifically behind a paywall. But what might work is to use a membership plugin and use that to restrict the quiz pages itself. Something like Simple Membership

LearnDash is a good plugin, but I think it's more suitable for full online courses. No doubt that it has some really amazing features. What I am trying to build needs the website just for a few quizzes and tests (now). Training or teaching wouldn't happen on the website.

Creation of programs and courses the access of which can be modified or assigned as per learner's task completion or manually

I think I will have to get a website developed to get these features, that maybe the best option. Will explore the possibilities later, a developer has given me a quote for the same and the list of features. He's going to build it on ASP.

I tried those plugins today 'Quiz and Survey Master', because it seemed to offer the features I need . I kept thinking that I am doing something wrong and after many changes and tries I realized that it has a lot of bugs. Most of them are because of a recent update, so no fix yet. Will try other plugins tomorrow.

I am trying to keep the signing up feature as fluid and as simple as possible and less time consuming with minimum clicks, but I doubt that's going to be the case with WordPress. So I may have to keep things manual for now.

Last edited:
So, I have a basic website ready and I can notice that the site is QUITE slow.

1595308799584.webp

While the same template runs pretty well on the developer's host:

1595308935347.webp

I am not sure if it's due to the lack of optimization or it's because of a slow shared server. Can anyone took at a look? I will share the link personally.

So I shared the link with all three of you, and most of you think there's a visual lag.

After making the changes suggested by @Navjot Singh, it improved a bit, but considering the fact that it's a very basic website, I think the host is at fault here, but they're not ready to accept it. According to them everything is fine at their end. What would be a safe bet to check if the lag is due to the host or if something is wrong with the website?

So I am planning to run ad campaigns on Instagram and most likely on Facebook too. I wanted to know what would be the best way to collect leads. Sign up forms or something else that's quick and easy for prospect customers to submit information?