Need a forum like this to have a dedicated Automotive section!

• Thread starter Thread starter bstolia
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 1,958

bstolia

ISP
ACT
Hey everyone!

Okay, I'll make it short & straight-forward. I'm part of a Highway-Driving/Auto Enthusiast Group on Facebook, and since our "Activity" is getting pretty high, we need a proper forum like this to discuss stuff. It's basically a Fan-Group for a guy called H V Kumar, a guy who has travelled across the length & breath of this country. This is the Group : https://www.facebook.com/groups/hvkumar/members/

You'll see alot of his travelogues on Team-Bhp. Infact, Mr.H V Kumar, recently wrote a Ladakh travelogue that got over 3,00,000 views on Team-Bhp. And hes' a really nice & helpful kind of guy... One of those John Lenon types.

We currently have ~2,700+ members, and recently also attempted to have a simple website, hvk, but we've not been able to take it forward much, for want of volunteers.

Mods & Everyone else : Please consider guiding us what we could do from here on.

Thanks in Advance. 🙂

(Requirement Clarified on Post #11 : https://broadband.forum/cars-and-bikes/79869-need-forum-like-have-dedicated/2/#post644839)

What exactly do you need help with?Just buy some webspace and a domain. Then buy a forum software like IPB or VB or Xenforo (or use the free PhpBB) depending on your budget. Setting up is pretty easy, most instructions are included. Admin might be able to tell you which of these is the easiest to use since he has used most/all of them.

They need a proper forum like this to discuss stuff.I think either they are asking for some space on this forum or just want us to guide them how to start a forum like this.

But then this forum has been on the interwebz for a long time ! Patience is what they need, apart from the things manu1991 has mentioned 😛

If I get it right he needs permission to post articles linking to their site / forum from within the automotive section here.

I think he is asking how to make their own forum ...what @manu replied back...

They are on TBHP, but request is for a 'dedicated' forum. Right now they are on FB, and that has its own limitations when it comes to discussions. TBHP would obviously not allow dedicated threads / sections for a member. They are therefore looking for alternatives since the dedicated website they had made didn't work. Enough speculation, its better the OP talks here else we are becoming the Indian media speculating things

lol. now i can help them setup a proper forum using a free offering like phpbb or bbpress. it's not that big of a deal.

Hi! Really appreciate the Quick responses!I'm looking for either some space on this forum or technical guidance on how to start a forum like this (Preferably the latter) coz not ALL of us are on Team-Bhp, and getting membership there is taking too long.I thought of asking first coz it would've been weird if 2700 members would join here, suddenly talking mostly about Automotive & highway related stuff in a "Broadband forum".Hope I've got the message through.

ok here are the three options... i can expand the automotive forum here with different sections are desired by you. i would love it if it fetches me 2700 new regular members. if that is not good. i can help you out with setting up a free forum software on the domain you have already purchased. you would of course have to get a hosting that has support for mysql and php. if you guys are not interested in the technicalities of hosting and managing a forum, i can setup an independent forum for you guys. this applies if you can guarantee activity from day one. i have tried in the past. starting a new forum and making it popular is not an easy job to do. i need an existing userbase before i can think about starting a new project. i would manage it for you. but i would monetize it and keep the profits mostly to myself.

Thanks Dude! We're going crazy trying to search old threads on Facebook. Activity is making things worse.
Gr8, so I'll ask everyone there what we want to try...

Personally, I'm a little inclined to your 3rd option... this one :

ok here are the two options...

#if you guys are not interested in the technicalities of hosting and managing a forum, i can setup an independent forum for you guys. this applies if you can guarantee activity from day one. i have tried in the past. starting a new forum and making it popular is not an easy job to do. i need an existing userbase before i can think about starting a new project. i would manage it for you. but i would monetize it and keep the profits mostly to myself.

coz we'll really need hassle-free Tech-Support. We've even planned Live-GPS tracking for the members (Which, till now, we could only do it with the MapMyIndia service). But anyway, all thats later, first we need a proper forum to start with, where we can arrange all the Encyclopedic-data HVK has collected over the years, and share it in a systematic method so it benefits everyone and it can be updated/followed-up on a daily basis.

Also, we hope for it to be monetized ethically, such that it should not :

1) Cause hurdles while browsing.
2) Gives, useless & unhelpful info.
3) Makes the forum look biased to the reader.
etc...

Will get back in a while. Need to extensively consult & discuss this with HVK & everyone else. Although, I'll keep visiting this place to see if anyone has different ideas that can help.

Thanks. 🙂

since i already have a dedicated server that runs this forum... i am not really looking for shit load of ads on a new project. i would at max run on ad at the top which should be enough to take care of the domain and hosting expenses. this forum has shit load of ads for guests because well the server i pay for costs me a shit load of money 😕 i try to make the experience much better for logged in members with fewer ads as you can see already.

OK, this looks like its getting Professional & Commercial. Guys, we're not trying to make money out of this. The data collected by this guy is Invaluable, and not meant to be monetized, ever. He and MOST of us there are well satisfied with the money we have, so all we need is your help & co-operation. We don't want this to be something done out of any vested interests.

If there is a way to do this with less hassles, then THATS what we're looking for. We'll take care of the rest. We HAVE a website up & running called hvk

Hope to find help. Thanks.