Nature of IP

• Thread starter Thread starter neo_tech
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 3,657

neo_tech

Hi all, i wanna know, through Dataone connection will i be getting an External IP or an internal LAN IP? in simple words will i be able to host my ftp server using my Dataone IP or not? hi hulo..i saw ur reply...i have no problem with a dynamic IP..i have tools to make it to a static one...just tell me that with THAT dynamic ip of dataone will i be able to host an ftp server...just for that instance with that specific dynamic ip or not? ie. will other users be able to connect to my PC directly or not...koi NAT ka to chakkar nahi hai na? don't worry whether its dynamic or static...just tell whether it would work or not. 2ndly i wanna know is that, the ADSL Router they r providing is of which company. can i have its site and info and a pic ? 🙂 3rdly...i heard somone say that 1st one has to dial to get connected to Dataone Cable Internet..now whats this?? i mean we never have to DIAL to get connected to a Cablenet...its ALWAYS ON as soon as the lan cable is connected to the LAN Card....isn't it?Thanks

yup you can...the ips are dynamically alotted if you block an ip you'll be causing a problem not only to yourself (legal problem) but to others also. but the upload speed is 6kbps. WHY do you want to host an ftp server at that speed?

LOLSSS..... don't worry m8 am not gonna do anything illegal...there r tools out there on the net. these tools continuously monitor ur dynamic IP for a change in it...and as soon as a change in the IP is detected they divert the traffic from that static IP (alloted by that tool service) to dynamic IP of dataone . so what actually happens is that ppl would be given a static name(ip) ie. eg. neotech.blah.com ,so now all the traffic that is coming to that above name would be diverted to the dataone dynamic ip...so the good thing in it is that u dont have to give to the public ever changing dynamic IPs of dataone. just neotech.blah.com is enough. 😉 lol...am not gonna 'block an ip' 🙂ya thats true, nothing much can be done at that upload speed...i was just curious to know...coz my present cable net provider dosen't provide that service. thats it!

Why not test it ? But upload speed would be a problem. The IP is Dynamic. There are services like no-ip.com for dynamic IPs to host servers. I think FTP port will not be blocked. As for the ADSL modem/router they are giving away UTStarcom UT-300R/R2 and Huwaei MT800etc. For single PCs, BSNL people configure to use a PPPoE dialer. For multiple Pc environment, you can use the router and nat by configuring from 192.168.1.1 modem settings page.

neo_tech, i also use dyndns.org as a backup along with no-ip.org hehebut note, your uploads count toward your monthly data transfer limit hehehe becareful who you let access to your servers... even a simple webpage can get abused if someone constantly loads it, and you'll get a fat bill in your mailbox

That's right. In general, ADSL connection is not suitable for hosting servers becos of the poor upload speed. On the sunny side, it would not interfere with ur download speeds as in ADSL, upload and downlod channels are separate. So, if u subscribe to a sufficiently high speed plan, having sufficient data transfer limit, u can host a server. Of course, it all depends on how much file u want to host and how many ppl would download frm u. But ftp port is not blocked. I have tested it. By the way, the upload speed is not 6 kbps. It would be around 8 KBytes per second for the Home 500 plan (256Kbps). That's better than a 56Kbps modem speed and would be enough if 1 person connects at a time.

As for the ADSL modem, the details for the UTStar Modem is available at http://www.calcuttatelephones.com/dataoneinstall/bb5.html and http://www.calcuttatelephones.com/dataoneinstall/menu.html

Read ur last sentance it reminds me of a test run I did when I ran 2 comps on Dataone thru a router where each one dialed seperately. Speed was good. Though the speed is average when I used to connect 2 or 3 comps on a 128 kbps DIAS connection of BSNL. That connection of 128 was thru LAN ( internet sharing bascially ).Anyone else here who connected few comps on Dataone and saw results. I am curious of performance.I shall have my office set up on 3/4 comps on a single Dataone ( Home 500 ) and I shall post my results next week. Others pls post before if u have any observation.

ya i know hosting would not be a wise decision on dataone espicially on 256 scheme....i wanted to know this just to know whether other pcs could directly make a connection to my pc...as i said before my present cablenet doesn't support that...thats why!thanks for those links hulo

ways2gain,Currently running 2 PCs - my own and dad's, on home 500 256kbps plan. The fun is that I cannot distinguish between the speeds on running singly and on 2 PCs together !! They are both showing about 30 KBps constant when used together. This is amazing !! I feel that u can run upto 6 PCs over this 256kbps line without much degradation in performance. So, I find it really cheap and performing option to choose for SOHO segment. What do u say ??

This re-assurance puts me on top gear. Im am getting ready for the Connection to be given tomm. I hope I am at office when they give it so that I can do a test run on as many PCs ( 2-3 ) that are on tomm. I expect to have 5 of them on by next week. Thats the acid test when I d/l the Anti Virus on all of them at the same time by using the Schedule.

2 comps still running successfully.One mother board got burnt down and D-Link shall replace in few days and 2 comps shall be installed by weekend ( I hope they dont stop working while shifting from old office ) and then I shall activate the Dataone on these2 as well and then only revert back.Thanks for waking me up.

I think you are as heated up as was your motherboard before it got burnt ! Just stay cool this summer and enjoy broadband experiments. And take occassional naps too ! :lol: