Name server: smra.dataone.in.: host not found

ashwin_think

ISP
BSNL Dataone
Dear All,

I'm Ashwin from Nasik. I've one linux server with pre-configured BSNL Dataone BroadBand connection on it. Also there are several local and external mail accounts configured on this server using .fetchmail.rc file using Webmin. From last two day's there no mails are going outside from this scenario cause of following error which I'm getting continuously if any mails tries to go outside using dataone, -

=========================================================
Feb 11 13:47:12 nashik sendmail[19052]: m1B8HCTJ019052: from=, size=5438, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=[192.168.0.7]
Feb 11 13:47:12 nashik sendmail[19052]: m1B8HCTK019052: from=, size=6407, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=[192.168.0.7]
Feb 11 13:47:13 nashik sendmail[19054]: m1B8HCTJ019052: to=, delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=relay, pri=125438, relay=smra.dataone.in., dsn=5.1.2, stat=Host unknown (Name server: smra.dataone.in.: host not found)
Feb 11 13:47:13 nashik sendmail[19054]: m1B8HCTJ019052: m1B8HDTJ019054: DSN: Host unknown (Name server: smra.dataone.in.: host not found)
=========================================================

I can fetch the mail successfully from dataone but it cannot sending the mail outside to any ID. It's giving the error smra.dataone.in failed or unknow host. I've confirmed this by trying out to test the same thing on my laptop using outlook express. I configured the same thing on my laptop with braodband too and tried to send the mail using outlook and get the SMTP failed error.

I called up the BSNL or VSNL (whatever they are I don't know) on there toll free no. 1800-424-1600 and surprised these folks are don't know or aware from this problem. Still they haven't replied me back yet.

Can anybody help me out from this problem or anyone confirmed this problem on the forum ? Because I searched a lot but unfortunately nobody having this type of problem yet.

Please Please help me.. what should I supposed to do to dig-out anything from this problem....

Ashwin
+91-9922642225

Try setting the outgoing SMTP to wmra.dataone.in or nmra.dataone.in

Dataone Mail Client Configuration

SORRY. Copy/paste mistake by me. Try now please. Tested ok.

Hey thanks for the info but I already have this stuff and done with my server several times. Now when I'm trying to ping the smra.dataone.in / wmra.dataone.in from linux mail server it's showing unknow host. But when tries to ping from my local machine it's pinging fine. What's the matter ??

Ashwin.

Update : 1808 my Datone also not working for incoming mail tried all three settings.
( also in eprompter)
Asking for ID and password again. May be some glitch today. try tomorrow.

Sorry. NIL knowledge about linux.
I use eprompter from ePrompter Free eMail Notification Software for receiving/sending email from MAX 12 ids.

Hey thanks for the info but I already have this stuff and done with my server several times. Now when I'm trying to ping the smra.dataone.in / wmra.dataone.in from linux mail server it's showing unknow host. But when tries to ping from my local machine it's pinging fine. What's the matter ??

Ashwin.

are you able to ping any other site from the same linux server ?...if not check your firewall setting or try command clewar shorewall or flush iptables which one is required in your case.

For mail you need a valid domain MX record do you have one ?..
check for mail relaying on datone.in .. ( you will get relaying not allowed error )

are you able to ping any other site from the same linux server ?...if not check your firewall setting or try command clewar shorewall or flush iptables which one is required in your case.

For mail you need a valid domain MX record do you have one ?..
check for mail relaying on datone.in .. ( you will get relaying not allowed error )

Hey Thanks for the post...
BTW I've configured my domain relay address in sendmail.cf file for trusted relay. It's working fine now. After configuring the details of my domain, mails sending and receiving works fine. Also I'm able to ping all sites like, yahoo, google, etc. except smara.dataone.in. It's giving the unknown host error while pinging. I think so the DNS server is down at the BSNL end for smra.dataone.in becoz I can ping the IP addresses for smra.dataone.in which I get from reverse lookup but not to hostname. 🙁

Can anybody confirm with BSNL as I spoke with them but as-usual they don't know anything about it......

Ashwin.

@/ashwin_think/ working OK. I have entered smma for Incoming and wmra for outgoing.You can try smra or nmra or wmra.Ping statistics for 218.248.240.93: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 74ms, Maximum = 129ms, Average = 88ms

@ashwin_think good it is resolved ..i was struggling with postfix for the almost same problem.why dont you use some other DNS (configure your own ) you can give a try with opendns too.

DNS settings and change it to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2. Atleast thats faster than OpenDNS.
posted by @cool_techie_tvm in Airtel forum. Tried and reported working fine.

@essbebe ..relax dear ..i know this ..i mean if he is working with server i don't recommend him to use opendns (it can be for trial/troubleshooting ) as perfect solution .

@/ashwin_think/ working OK.
I have entered smma for Incoming and wmra for outgoing.
You can try smra or nmra or wmra.
Ping statistics for 218.248.240.93:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 74ms, Maximum = 129ms, Average = 88ms

Thanks for the info.
But unfortunately I've tried this already and it never works for me. I can able to ping nmra.dataone.in fine but when I can configure it on my server it showing that the service is unavailable in tail log. wmra.dataone.in is not working also and smra too.

Now I've configured my domain relay in the sendmail config file and it's working fine now but what is the problem at the BSNL end for smra.dataone.in ????

@essbebe ..relax dear ..i know this ..i mean if he is working with server i don't recommend him to use opendns (it can be for trial/troubleshooting ) as perfect solution .

Thanks soroccoheaven.

As I've already configured my own domain dns in the local mail server so the issue has resolved but what is the problem at the BSNL end for smra.dataone.in ???

Ashwin

Two in Mumbai and one in Bangalore (.DATAONE ISP modem MT882 Sony fx215 laptop xpPro sp2
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings>tracert wmra.dataone.in
Tracing route to wmra.dataone.in [218.248.240.243]
over a maximum of 30 hops: