my snr and attenuation

• Thread starter Thread starter manuab123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 3,859
You need to have ADSL2+ for sure with Annex M enabled. Set the router accordingly.
The line is configured for 4 mbps from bsnl.

Check if you are having any firewall which restricts you to 400 kbps...

If problem persists check the line for disturbance...,

You need to have ADSL2+ for sure with Annex M enabled. Set the router accordingly.
The line is configured for 4 mbps from bsnl.

Check if you are having any firewall which restricts you to 400 kbps...

If problem persists check the line for disturbance...,

Source

what do u mean by annex m. i have bigger line attenuation , i am staying 1km from the exchange

Are you sure about the line wire is the problem for slow internet speed
since you said there was some working going at the exchange that could also be one issue. i had the same problem a few months back and when i booked a complaint they said some work is going at the exchange that is why speed issues and disconnections issues happen. they can happen due the port your connection is in the exchange and also due to the issues with the line.

They said they have finished the work and now I am getting only 1mbps speed instead of 8mbps.Can you tell me why higher line attenuation

your attenuation has improved from 205 to 200 right and also the snr improved.
as the distance from the exchange to the customer's home increases the attenuation too increases due to the fact that the signals get weak when transmitted over long distance. it has something to do with the copper wire used inside the line. the cable internet is able to provide higher data speed due to the increased thickness in copper core. as attenuation increases the SNR or signal to noise ratio deteriorates. when snr comes to low value the speed of the internet reduces. and also when the speed of the internet is increased the snr value decreases.

the rate mentioned in the screenshot is the attainable rate i think the actual rate is another one, i dont know how to find the value in your modem.
you should ask the bsnl peple to increase your speed. may be to the connection they have changed the speed in the exchange.

Annex M will improve upload speed a bit.

Copper wire till your room is required without joints.
Plus good connectors of RJ11 splitters etc.
If all is good at your end then it is issue in the exchange till your home.

there is 1 joint in the wire so i told to change,does it make any difference in the speed

Last edited:
now the exchange is saying that "they can do this much only". they are telling to change to optical fibreFTTH which 777/month and for modem Rs.3000 and existing plan 675 and receiving only 800kbps downspeed. what is your opinion?

@manuab123 many users here face these problems from the bsnl exchange. they may be limiting the speed on their side. even when they say everything is clear at their end, we cant completely believe what they say. being close to the exchange you should atleast get 4 mbps i have an attenuation rate of 47 and get only 4mbps. so you should be able to get more.

do you have twitter ? message bsnl kerala on twitter about your issue. its seen that majority of complaints are been resolved via this method. tell them you are close to the exchange, even then the speed is 1mbps only. tell them the exchange people is not cooperating and saying they can only do this much.

one a side note. did you check with a new modem and see if there is any change in speed?
with the daily limit its better to be in a low speed plan of 4mbps so we can use the highspeed net for a little more time