My ISP says they can provide only 80% of speed because TRAI has a rule, is it correct?

shakulgupta9

ISP
Airtel
I brought a 4mbps connection and speed I get is from 1mb to 2.8mb maximum and the ISP simply says that they can not provide more than 2.8mb because according to TRAI rules the minimum speed which should be provided by an ISP is 80% of the mentioned speed. I am not sure if it is a rule or not, but the ISP is using the rules in a wrong way.

I brought a 4mbps connection and speed I get is from 1mb to 2.8mb maximum and the ISP simply says that they can not provide more than 2.8mb because according to TRAI rules the minimum speed which should be provided by an ISP is 80% of the mentioned speed.

I am not sure if it is a rule or not, but the ISP is using the rules in a wrong way.

Technically it's not correct.If your ISP states that you must get a minimum speed of 80 % on your plan which is 4 Mbps, 80 % of it must come around to 3.2-3.3 Mbps. Probably your ISP cannot provide 4 Mbps in your area & they gave you a plan with high tariff & low speeds. Ask any of your friends in your area if they have the same plan & do they get speeds upto 4 Mbps.

Edit : Which broadband are you on now ? Airtel ?

^^ as @jayant said it is mandatory for your ISP to provide at least 80% of the claimed line speed all the time under normal traffic conditions. The CC guy fooled u up, say them u will go to consumer court/complain trai and don't forget to post in FB(they give a lot of imp. to this nowadays).:Nag:

The guy who sold him the connection must have made him a fool & on asking the CC about speed & all. He must have got all lame & stupid excuses. All big loosers sitting out there who wanna s*** money out of customer's pocket.

The 80% rule is correct, but then 80% of 4 Mbps is 3.2Mbps and not 2.8 Mbps. They cannot apply their own margins on those 80%. If they quote TRAI, tell them that they need to follow the rule completely and not try to act smart.

The rule is that you must get at least 80% of the speeds you were promised, not that you can only get 80% of it. It's a worst case scenario, and from the looks of it you're barely getting 50%. Set these guys straight, they're looting you.

It sounds to me like a misinterpretation - While the CC is indeed wrong, most of those answering are also misinterpreting the rules.

In this case, the ISP is supposed to provide up to 4.0mbit/s, but no less than 80% of that speed up to the ISP node.

What this DOES NOT mean is that your download speed will always translate to being between 3.2 and 4.0mbit/s.

What this DOES mean is if you have a plan that is 4.0mbit/s, then the speed that the cable going between your house and the local ISP node should support at least 3.2mbit/s - when you check the status of your connection on your ADSL modem, your line rate should be synced to no less than 3355443bps or 3277kbps if you are on a 4mbit/s plan, and if they ran a line test between the DSLAM and your modem, they should get at least this speed.

On the assumption that you are using ADSL, this translates more or less directly in to two basic things:
[*]Distance from the ISP's equipment (3.2mbit/s I think would be about 4km, and we're not talking physical distance, we're talking cable distance) and
[*]Quality of the installation - that is, cable quality, bends, loops, kinks, shielding, pvc coating damage etc and environmental factors like interference on unshielded cable, secured and properly fitted connectors, protection from water and pollutants etc.
[/list]The reason that it is this way is that you can't have a maximum contention ratio of 1:50 at the network border (that's 2% of the promised speed, or a little over 20 kilobits per subscriber for every megabit the ISP has available) and then simultaneously expect to deliver 80% of the promised speed to all of your subscribers, otherwise essentially ISPs would have to provide 1:1 contention to their subscribers which simply doesn't happen.

In this case, the ISP is supposed to provide up to 4.0mbit/s, but no less than 80% of that speed up to the ISP node.

Frequently Asked Question - Consumer Info: Telecom Regulation Authority of India says otherwise.

Q 4. What is the permissible minimum Broadband speed limit?
A. As per the regulation on “Quality of Service standards for Broadband Services” issued by TRAI on 6th May, 2006, a subscriber should get minimum 80% of the subscribed broadband connection speed from ISP Node to user.

Same here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/18Xg41K6NcPvZevWQotuld7lWT-bsmggr2-zGElCDyJCYMbo34ANQyvB_gzPe/edit?usp=sharing