My Email To BSNL (Got A Response! Need Your Help!)

• Thread starter Thread starter Noname123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 4,304
ISP
Nope
Hello everyone,
I've been lurking on this forum for a very long time now and I finally made a throw away account to pass on an important message to the community.
Recently, after having gotten really frustrated with the entire FUP/pseudo-high-speed-broadband thing (and the lack of meaningful alternatives here in Chennai), I looked up all the email IDs of BSNL managers and sent them an email requesting a single thing - offer us a 1Mbps no-FUP plan around the Rs. 1000 mark.
Now, in the email, I said that a lot of people were very frustrated with the status quo and that a lot of people are actually demanding something like this. This evening I received a small reply stating -
Respected Sr.Officers

Kindly see the trailing customer mail. Forwarded for your kind attention and to take-up with Corporate office if required, please.

The customer mail-id is :

----------------------------------------------------------

Now I think it would mean something if everyone here could also mail these folks asking for the 1Mbps thing. If they see enough support they just might do it!

I've pasted the text of the mail I sent, below -

My name is and I am a resident of Chennai who has been using BSNL's broadband services for many years now. I have been using your broadband services since as early as 2004. For as long as I can remember now, my internet's average speed has been somewhere in the region of 512 Kbps (Kilo BITS per second). Yes, BSNL does offer "high speed" plans but these are crippled since BSNL implements a Fair Usage Policy (FUP) with caps set at data amounts as low as 8GB. In today's world there is not much you can do with 8GB at ~1Mbps (1 Mega BIT(s) per second).

I am an ardent gamer and I love watching videos on youtube and I skype a lot. With the kind of plans you have, I can do none of these. For example, I regularly connect to servers in Europe and the kind of latency your network provides (~300 ms ping on average), a lot of what I try to do (play games) actually just fails most of the time. Maybe for people like you, games might be for kids but for me it is actually a very serious pursuit. And for people like me, the kind of service BSNL provides is inadequate. Given the lack of private players in the industry with reasonable plans, I am forced to stick with BSNL.

I would be really, really happy if BSNL launches a simple broadband plan at Rs.1100 which offers a 1Mbps (1 Mega BIT(s) per second) plan with NO Fair Usage Policy (FUP). What this means is that you don't throttle down the 1Mbps speed down to something absolutely meaningless like 256Kbps (Kilo BITS per second) once you cross some threshold like 10GB. This is a demand a lot of people from the metros have been making for a very long time now. The internet won't wait for India. In today's situation your connection speeds are barely enough to load images. If you don't believe me, you can try this for yourself. Go to imgur (a popular image hosting site) and try to load the images there from some random BSNL connection at an average household. You'll realize what a huge pain it is waiting for images to load because it is a 256Kbps connection. Of late, with rapid updates to email services (read Gmail and Yahoo!) it has become near impossible to login to check emails too. Point in case being the fact that Yahoo mail takes a ridiculous amount of time to log in if you're on a connection that's slower that 1Mbps. The simple truth is that this is not an issue about "Indians don't have much to do on the internet" but that the content (because of quality upscaling) on the internet has grown in volume. So while a 8GB FUP cap might have made sense way back in 2007, it is absolutely meaningless in today's context.

If you don't trust what I say, please visit this popular Indian broadband related forum named India Broadband Forum. Look at the kind of opinion people have about BSNL's service.

I sincerely hope that someone or the other reading this email pays heed to it and takes PROMPT positive actions regarding what I have said. I wish my dream of a decent internet connection comes true. Yes, India has a lot of people who have never even seen computers but that doesn't mean those who have computer access shouldn't have decent access to the internet.

I have no intent of offending or slighting anybody. I have written such a blunt mail in hopes that it will carry across the chagrin I experience on a daily basis.

Kind regards,

-----------------------------------------------------

Here's the list of email ID's I mailed this to - gmbbchn@bsnl.co.in ; ifa_chennai@bsnl.co.in ; pg_chnbbs@bsnl.co.in ; pg_chntr@bsnl.co.in ; pg_chnse@bsnl.co.in ; gmcentral_chennal@bsnl.co.in ;cgm_chennai@bsnl.co.in ; cmdbsnl@bsnl.co.in

Please help! I think it's time we tried something.

BTW, this is not spam.
I made a throwaway because I don't want to sign up on the forum. But I am a regular visitor here though. : )
Hello Chromaniac, iChaitanya (I hope I spelled that right) and the others who keep this place alive.

Great stuff! I'll send a mail too. Though I don't expect anything to happen 🙁

I was paying 1500 or so for 512kbps UL 2 or so years back. It was necessary to go for that plan. I am sure many here would happily jump to 1mbps for

Sounds good, but nothing is going to happen in reality. The 8GB FUP has been devised keeping uncles/aunties in mind. Once a senior BSNL employee told me that he finds it challenging to cross even 4GB per month on his 4 Mbps broadband connection. Nothing is going to change until they change their mentality. I'm glad at least airtel provides me 80GB (albeit for 2k pm).

Yes, its good if we have a decent speed atleast 1mpbs and i don't mind decent FUP ..say like upto 50Gbps or 80Gbps.
But when it comes to online gaming with BSNL.. IT SUCKS ASS!!! BSNL-NIB routing is so so fuckin bad.. Routing through USA servers.. WTF! USA is farthest country to India.. it located half way across the globe.. just imagine the ping..
BSNL NIB stands #2 as of now when it comes to WORST routing in the world.. http://bgpupdates.potaroo.net/instability/bgpupd.html
i play FIFA 14.... to play FIFA 14 Online mode, the gamer's matchmaking region should be where he is located(its auto, cant change manually).. i live in india and my matchmakin region should be ASIA. if i dont have ASIA i meet players from my recommended matchmaking region but unfortunately i get USA(North America).
I dont have static IP and most of the WAN IP's i get are not compatible for online gaming. after reaching home from college i take around an hour to check all the WAN IP's to see whether today i might get to play online mode fifa :sad:
i keep on restarting my modem and check all WAN IP's. These are the WAN IP range i get for my UL 800 plan(1mbps till 6GB..after 512kbps)

117.208.180.0/255
117.208.189.0/255.. This range of WAN IP is bad for online gamers as traffic is routed thought American servers.. you get high latency. North America region.
117.208.190.0/255
117.208.199.0/255..This range of WAN IP is bad for online gamers as traffic is routed thought American servers.. you get high latency. North America region.
117.202.90.0/255
117.202.99.0/255..This range of WAN IP is bad for online gamers as traffic is routed thought American servers.. you get high latency. North America region.
117.202.100.0/255
117.202.109.0/255..This range of WAN IP is bad for online gamers as traffic is routed thought American servers.. you get high latency. North America region.
117.202.110.0/255
117.202.119.0/255..This range of WAN IP is bad for online gamers as traffic is routed thought American servers.. you get high latency. North America region.
117.208.160.0/255
117.208.169.0/255... This range of WAN IP was good untill 05 august 2013. i used to get matchmaking region as ASIA for online games and latency was good around 20 ms but after 5th Aug even this range changed to North America.. :sad:

59.93.60.0/255
59.93.69.0/255....(NIB-1)This range is so so weird, somedays i get Europe as my region and some days "Australia/New Zealand".. and ping varies..but last few days since 1st Oct 2013 this range of IP changed to North America. :sad:
My exams are near and i just wanna play few games before i stop.. :sad: There is no other ISP where i stay, so im stuck with BSNL.. im so so soo so unlucky to have BSNL as my ISP.. i wish to have any good ISP other than BSNL.. im happy to pay 1.5 k per month as long as its reliable, but im exhausted tryin to find other ISP in my locality.. ( no feasibility they say) :sad:
Im just so tired.. so so tired.. :sad: .. BSNL is bad.. so bad. I wouldnt even recommend this ISP to my enemy..

BSNL is not gonna change anything, bcoz end users are so many in town now. Earlier it was less, say people having computers were very very less.
but now we have so many devices to connect through wi-fi. Any way they are gonna make profit for sure.
How much ever they are gonna increase the pack prices still we are gonna buy and not gonna stop using their services.
This is it 🙂

Well it's been a couple of days since the last reply came through. BSNL's been quite thus far. Not sure if they're planning something or it's the usual silence.
God damned uncles and aunties. Seriously though, it's not like they won't take the speed upgrade if it's offered to them. This is India we're talking about. I'm going to send BSNL a few more emails. I might also pay their Chennai office a visit. (No high hopes or anything like that)
And yeah, the latency on BSNL connections is terrible. The routing is haywire.

I don't think anyone should have high hopes for this.
A couple of emails aren't going to change what's fundamentally wrong with this company and it's mindset on how internet access should be. But I guess it's worth a try,even if to let them know that they're doing an awful job.
Why not start an online petition? If most of the members of this forum could sign it,it might help raise the issue.

i feel rather than asking for non FUP connections we should demand a connection with a decent routing and stability. A decent FUP is as good as not having it in the first place.

In Metros like Chennai and Hyderabad, BSNL offers much more attractive plans than in other circle. FUP is high for Rs. 750 (and a few other plans) in Chennai.

meetdilip said:
In Metros like Chennai and Hyderabad, BSNL offers much more attractive plans than in other circle. FUP is high for Rs. 750 (and a few other plans) in Chennai. th
You mean a higher FUP.
Sadly that will be sufficient no longer.
Update: I have received a second mail back from BSNL. Let's see where this goes. Did anyone else email them[color=rgb(68,68,68);font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:small;]?[/color]

i know this is a silly question but is there anyway to bypass the speed filtter so that fup doesnt come intop effect

meetdilip said:
In Metros like Chennai and Hyderabad, BSNL offers much more attractive plans than in other circle. FUP is high for Rs. 750 (and a few other plans) in Chennai.
As far as I know, Chennai does not enjoy any special benefit (Are you confusing with TN Circle?)... If so, can you can you let me know what...

mhsabir said:
As far as I know, Chennai does not enjoy any special benefit (Are you confusing with TN Circle?)... If so, can you can you let me know what...
Some time before I remember seeing the notification. Would be some 1.5 years. Essbebe also confirmed.