• Thread starter Thread starter visnbm
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 6,366

visnbm

Regulars
ISP
BSNL
For the past few days, someone seems to be using my dataone pw. Changing the pw from the portal is of no use. I am regularly changing my pw, but the #%^$ manages to get my pw. I have latest antivirus updated as well as firewall in place. I also approached BSNL office, they say that its not possible to hack someone's pw from our system b'coz its stored in the server in encrypted form.Any help would be appreciated.

you should regularly check your system for any spyware / trozans / key loggers . it should be true that the password is stored in encrypted form in the server .

actually, the password is not encrypted and it is pretty easy to get someone else's password, that's one of the benefits of using a router in bridge mode 🙂

QUOTE(Bhinder @ Sep 15 2006, 08:08 PM) [snapback]62293[/snapback]
actually, the password is not encrypted and it is pretty easy to get someone else's password, that's one of the benefits of using a router in bridge mode 🙂
[/b]

Could you please explain this a bit? I have absolutely no idea what you mean above.

thanks.

that means that the password that you store in your router by enabling ppp mode is not encrypted and thus is only as secure as your router.. if somebody can hack into your router, then they can get your password 🙂

Don't use always on Internet. In it password and username r made to b stored in ur modem memory.Its easy to access modem memory in dataone.just enter 192.168.1.1 in ur internet explorer url n u r in modem setup page.Connect internet by creating a account in network connections.Also don't select the option save username and password for current user.Always enter ur password. Don't keep it ready for anyone.

QUOTE(ROHIN @ Sep 17 2006, 10:14 PM) [snapback]62504[/snapback]
Don't use always on Internet. In it password and username r made to b stored in ur modem memory.
Its easy to access modem memory in dataone.
just enter 192.168.1.1 in ur internet explorer url n u r in modem setup page.
Connect internet by creating a account in network connections.
Also don't select the option save username and password for current user.
Always enter ur password. Don't keep it ready for anyone.
[/b]

hmm .. the above methods all are relevant if an alleged hacker is stealing the password from the original poster's internal network, LAN, right? I am not sure he has made that clear. I was assuming that the password was being stolen externally (WAN side). In the first case, the user should be careful in what other users he gives access to his machine and only trusted users should be given the password to the modem. In the second case, this matter is very serious.

Some of the above posters claim that passwords in the modem is not as secure. I was wondering, can those passwords be stolen from the internet (WAN side)?

Also, the original poster should clarify the following:
1. Does he think his internet usage is being initiated from any place else other than where he has his dataone account (maybe at his home)?
2. Does somebody else use his computer?
3. If other users use his computer, does he trust them?

you dont need to be on a lan for this to happen.. if a person knows ur external ip address, he could still get it in this way

QUOTE(Bhinder @ Sep 18 2006, 12:34 AM) [snapback]62514[/snapback]
you dont need to be on a lan for this to happen.. if a person knows ur external ip address, he could still get it in this way
[/b]

I think that is called Remote Management. I was under the impression that this is off by default in BSNL modems. It would be great if somebody can confirm this. I tried to check this feature in my modem WA1003a, but I wasn't able to login remotely. My understanding is that unless a user has changed this, all users should be safe from this.

the best way is just change the password of the router & set a Html page which runs in back ground .If some one try to hack in they will see a blankpage saying its under construction. 😛

QUOTE(bsnluser @ Sep 17 2006, 11:57 PM) [snapback]62513[/snapback]
hmm .. the above methods all are relevant if an alleged hacker is stealing the password from the original poster's internal network, LAN, right? I am not sure he has made that clear. I was assuming that the password was being stolen externally (WAN side). In the first case, the user should be careful in what other users he gives access to his machine and only trusted users should be given the password to the modem. In the second case, this matter is very serious.

Some of the above posters claim that passwords in the modem is not as secure. I was wondering, can those passwords be stolen from the internet (WAN side)?

Also, the original poster should clarify the following:
1. Does he think his internet usage is being initiated from any place else other than where he has his dataone account (maybe at his home)?
2. Does somebody else use his computer?
3. If other users use his computer, does he trust them?
[/b]

Thanks to you all.

1. I think someone from outside (not my home) is using it.
2. No one except me use the pc.

hi! if somebody from outside is using it, change the username and password of ur router.. also, somebody correct me if i am wrong but i think that u can see what fone number ur account has been accessed from by logging into the dataone website.. also, it never hurts to follow general best practices such as disabling unneeded services, securing ur computer with a password..u havent posted how u have configured ur system.. is it in ppp mode or bridge? if u need to dial a connection to access it from windows then it is in bridge mode.. in that case, u shud check ur system for trojans and spyware and also see if there is something weird in system startup.. most trojans use names of familiar programs in order to disguise themselves.. i got one in my computer in vista (barely 5 minutes after installing it) that tried to disguise itself as mirc.exe.. hope all this helps 🤔

Yes it is possible to hack the password from outside....no antivirus and firewall can stop it.....but

Just one suggestion....change the Username and Password of ur router....cause the default ID and Pass is admin admin....which is very easy for any hackers,(like..😉)..to guess & enter the router cause most of the user don't change their router's ID and Pass....so go for it and change it........

one more thing.....even after changing the routers' password...it's possible to hack the password...but that is tough...and is not for novice haskers......cheers....and keep rocking..!!

QUOTE(rajesh_psycho @ Sep 18 2006, 12:26 PM) [snapback]62545[/snapback]
Yes it is possible to hack the password from outside....no antivirus and firewall can stop it.....but

Just one suggestion....change the Username and Password of ur router....cause the default ID and Pass is admin admin....which is very easy for any hackers,(like..😉)..to guess & enter the router cause most of the user don't change their router's ID and Pass....so go for it and change it........

one more thing.....even after changing the routers' password...it's possible to hack the password...but that is tough...and is not for novice haskers......cheers....and keep rocking..!!

[/b]

Disable the router mode, make silly adsl-modem-router-combo to act as dumb and pure ADSL modem. Connect it to stripped down Linux server only having enough tools to act as GATEWAY for your local network to internet. Configure your firewall to drop all incoming craps.
Now hack the DUMB router 😛 .

Enough for l33t .