My current hard disk going bad, which new one to go for..

• Thread starter Thread starter scott274
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 3,612

scott274

BBF Noob
ISP
MTNL Triband
Well lately I have been hearing faint tick-tick sound from my PC cabinet followed by system freeze and restart after a long time. and then on the first screen after restart hard drives are not detected and on the second screen either get "Disk Boot Failure, Insert system disk and press enter" or "Boot from CD/DVD, Invalid system disk, replace the disk and press any key" error messages after which the only thing I can do is switch off the main switch. Can't reinstall windows etc.Discussed this on a lot of forums and everybody said my hard disk are dying and to go get a new one. I was using Samsung SP0802N 80 GB Hard disk so far. Does anyone knows what is the approx warranty period for it. Brought it in july 2004. Went to the samsung site but they are asking for pin or serial No. and I don't know the number. Threw away the box a long time back.And if I have to buy a new hard disk, which one is good in quality and affordable now a days. I live in mumbai, where can i buy the hard disk. And is there a drastic price difference between 80 GB and slightly higher capacity hard disks.

Serial no is written on the sticker on the harddisk. When the disk starts clicking it can die anytime, backup any important data on the disk. For prices check this site http://deltapage.com/

the same thing happened to me, the clicking sound happens b'cos the header has trouble moving or something like that. i lost all my data, so i suggest you back up all your data as soon as you can, i believe segate and maxtor are widely available in india. for seagate warranty is around 3 years . do check deltapage or theitwares for price.

Which hard drive should I go for..

---
Brand-Make-Tech Specs-Price

Seagate-Sata 2-80 GB-1800
Seagate-Sata 2-160 GB-1975
Seagate-IDE-80 GB (7200 RPM)-1950
Seagate-IDE-160 GB (7200 RPM)-2200

Western Digital-Sata 2-80 GB-1700
Western Digital-Sata 2-160 GB-1850

Hitachi-Sata 2-80 GB-1750
Hitachi-Sata 2-160 GB-1950
Hitachi-IDE-80 GB (7200 RPM)-1800
Hitachi-IDE-160 GB (7200 RPM)-2200
---

Are these brands one of the best hard drives out there in the indian market right now. Any mumbai guys here so that I can discuss where exactly to buy my hard disk here.

What is the difference between Sata and IDE and which one best to choose. And among the brands seagate, western digital, Hitachi who gives the most warrant period.

ide is usually a safe bet on old computers. sata is fine on new ones. seagate is a safe bet for india. also try to get the faster version of the hdd. seagate usually has two three models in each capacity. the perpendicular ones are faster.

Ok I have almost decided on either of these two hard disk..

Seagate-Sata 2-160 GB-1975
Seagate-Sata 2-250 GB (8MB Buffer)-2200

But I didn't understand this "faster version-perpendicular ones" buisness. What should I ask for in the shop..

All seagate drives with 7200.10 or 7200.11 wriiten on the sticker have perpendicular recording. Before buying check if your motherboard has sata ports, if you dont have sata ports then buy ide drive.

Can you describe where on the motherboard should I check the Sata-Ide portsEdit: Anyways members on another board helped me with pictures to check if I have Sata-IDE ports on my motherboard. I will have to go for a IDE drive as I don't have any Sata ports on my current motherboard. Probably will go for Seagate IDE 160 or 250 GB hard disk now.Thanks friends for your timely help 🙂Edit 2: Oh yes and repped all who helped me 😉

try deep freezing your old hard drive for two hours and and check if it still clicks after returning to normal temperature.as for the new hard drive... go for seagate 360gb... it says 2600 on the delta page but try talking like a friend or a yaar to the shop-owner and you'll probably get it for 2450 at lamington road in mumbai.sata ports are 1/4th the size of ide ports and look a bit like USB port. usually found just above the on/off power connectors of the board.

Hello! I am also facing the same problem with my hard disk drive on my old PC as faced by scott274. My hard drive is Samsung SpinPoint 40 GB and my system is PIII with Intel i810 motherboard. I have bought a new hard disk that is Hitachi 160 GB PATA (Deskstar). But now my hardware engineer says that it is not compatible with Intel 810 motherboard and I have to return it and get a second hand hard disk from him. But the hardware dealer told me that it will be compatible with Intel 810. So I bought a 160 GB drive instead of an 80 GB drive which is about Rs. 400 costlier than the 80 GB one. I cannot test it as the hardware engineer says that if I open the drive from its packet by tearing the seal it won't be exchanged. Please help as I cannot decide whether I should return the hard disk and get a second hand disk of 40 GB again from my hardware engineer which he says is of about Rs. 1100. Or should I keep it (the 160 GB PATA disk) believing the hardware dealer and try it on my old system to check whether it is compatible or not. I will appreciate if someone guides me appropriately. What should I do? Also should I freeze my old hard disk in deep freeze of my fridge? Is it ok to try this and how? Thanks a lot in advance.

Why don't you take your CPU cabinet to the shop where you brought the hard disk. And about that freezing old hard disk, even I would like to know the details on how exactly to do it, whats it's uses, dangers w.r.t HD etc.

Why don't you take your CPU cabinet to the shop where you brought the hard disk.

And about that freezing old hard disk, even I would like to know the details on how exactly to do it, whats it's uses, dangers w.r.t HD etc.

The hardware dealer does not provide assembling facility. Moreover, they are the ones referred to by my hardware engineer and he was with me when I bought it along with other components. If I take the CPU cabinet to them I would be bypassing my hardware wallah (who is, by the way, a friend). Who should I believe?

So my question again is whether Hitachi 160 GB PATA hard disk drive is compatible with my Intel 810 motherboard (Pentium III CPU). Anyone?