Multiuser Problem / Speed Problem / Modem Problem

• Thread starter Thread starter b0bee
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 5,456

b0bee

I have a 2 mbit connection Business 9000 Planhave 880 modem/router from bsnlI am facing quite a few problems with BSNL dataoneLet me list one by one1. Till 2 days back I was using this configurationI have 2 pcs .. I connected both of them to the switch and connected the switch to the adsl modem .. all normal ethernet cables , no crossover cable. I configured the adsl modem as a pure bridgethrough windows xp inbuilt ppaoe connection dialer I was able to connect from both the pc'swith both the pc's getting their individual ip'sthis according to me is the real multi user account where all the pcs get individual ips on internet though I know they are dynamicbut all of a sudden the situation changed 2 days back when I saw only one pc is connected and other is notand I can connect either of the one and not the otherDoes anyone know where and what may be going wrongI know to set the modem to use ppoe username/password and then use dns services of the routerbut then it distibutes ips which are not real ips .. they are just lan ips so due to that i face lots of port problems .. i know for that also we can use port forwarding and stuff but that complicates things..besides when i use the inbuilt dialer of the modemi do not know after 1 - 2 hr of usage modem stops respondingno data transfer occurs and i have to swith it off and on again for the data transfer to start again...I hope my post is not getting very confusing..Last problem is ..I have 2 mbit connectionso ideally I should get 256 KBps or 2048 kbpsbut I never got more then 210 kbps not even onceis it the problem with all 2 mbit connection Please someone help meas u all know bsnl customer is just uselessRohit

When you say "I never got more than 210 kbps" are you absolutely SURE its bits not bytes? Just because some application is displaying lowercase "b" doesnt mean its bits... it could be 210 kBps which is about 2mbps which is good...

How about you try visiting http://whisper.cs.utk.edu:7123/ or some other bandwidth tester to see what numbers they give?

If still in doubt.. how about downloading a file (maybe 10 MB) from a known good server, say a file mirror or something and actually timing it yourself?

Hope that helps

Guys it is 200KBps .. I am sorry for the typobut for a 2 mbit i should get 256 KBPSanyways thats not a big problemmain problem is how to get multiple ips for a single account ... that is what multiuser meansand even it was working for me until 2 days back when it stopped all of a suddenand the modem problemif i use modem inbuilt ppoae ..then after a while it stops responding all by itselfand i have to restartbut if i use windows ppoae dialerit works fine without any problemthanks for the replies though

Originally posted by parminder@May 11 2005, 07:54 AM
plz disregard the above post your 210mbps download speed is good enough for your connection just went to see the bsnl site if youve got the Business 9000 Plan be happy but if you are fussy like me you can make a point coz i wouldnt settle for speeds below 230 on the connection i would keep ringing then untill they do something about it or may be first try my own settings
try dr dan ewell's test cant remember the site try it on google u should be able to find it  and its free🙂
[snapback]9144[/snapback]
[/quote]

parminder I tried searching the google
but I could not find any download link for
dan ewell's blueyonder speed test

can you give me a link

Rohit

Parminder see the line in your speed test "running 10s inbound test... 922 Kbs inbound" you have a 1mbps line? Looks fine to me..

Seems all have made a mess to describe their situations and results. Get more concise and focussed, guys !!

Originally posted by agnivo007@May 16 2005, 06:03 PM
Seems all have made a mess to describe their situations and results. Get more concise and focussed, guys !!
[snapback]9444[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mr. Agnivo let me settle your curiosity
as I am the original poster of this thread
my post is not confusing .,,provided,,,. you have some technical knowhow
if in case you are just a casual homeuser then YOu cant help but be confused
but I think if you cant help atleast refrain from making unnecessary comments
and as far as our technical knowhow is concerend
I am a microsoft beta tester
and this is not the first time I am having a 2 mbit broadband connection

Originally posted by Hulo@May 16 2005, 09:01 PM
That explains the endless bugs in Microsoft's flopwares. 😀

[snapback]9452[/snapback]
[/quote]

ALAS 🙁 Still HULO uses Windows ...
very sad indeed

Sushubh I agree with you
but these people get a kick by starting all this..

At least I know the cause of my miseries now 🙁

--------------------------------
Do not quote pictures anywhere in the thread or it would look like a Microsoft bug !

I was able to connect from both the pc'swith both the pc's getting their individual ip's this according to me is the real multi user account where all the pcs get individual ips on internet though I know they are dynamic but all of a sudden the situation changed 2 days back when I saw only one pc is connected and other is no and I can connect either of the one and not the other[/b]

Rohit,

BSNL's multi-user is for within your LAN (private IP) and do not think they allow one user to get 2 dynamic public IPs per single connection.

They might have just changed the setting in the DSLAM to prevent one port being assigned more than 1 IP.

What s.w are you running which is causing problems with port fowarding via router/modem to your LAN.

Both PC's on a LAN with the modem configured as a firewall-router/gateway may be the only option.

At least I know the cause of my miseries now [/b]

hulo,

Come on, this forum is to help one another. 🙂

A joke and some gentle leg pullling is fine only once.

b0bee :wub:
hulo

Thanks Videshi for trying to help me out...If your argument is correct that BSNL only allows multiuser on private lanthen what is the difference between business user and home user.they specifically tell that business 3000 is not a multiuser and business 9000 is multiuser plan..