Multiple Gateways

anirudhashish

Regular
I have one Lan interface and have been using twon bsnl modems(connections).192.168.1.1192.168.1.2.1 being the primary.when .1 fails .2 needs to made the gate way.can window have an alternate gate way the way it has alternate dns.so not having .1 it'l use .2 as the gateway.I want a static IP.so pls dont enable the dynamic ip thing.pls help.

yes you can have 2 gateways see the ADVANCED option just below the dns entry boxes in Tcp/IP configuration fo your windows . Leave the metric system to automatic though .

Originally posted by power@Feb 5 2006, 12:09 PM
yes you can have 2 gateways see the ADVANCED option just below the dns entry boxes in Tcp/IP configuration fo your windows . Leave the metric system to automatic though .
[snapback]41397[/snapback]
[/quote]

I just tried it but it is not working.
My setup is slike this

ADSL modemRouter cum ADSL modemdesktop
192.168.1.100_______192.168.1.1___________192.168.1.175

so the system needs to use 192.168.1.100 by default and when this is not connected it needs to use 192.168.1.1

Itried this

i put .100 online and then on the dektop i put the first gateway as .1 and the second as .100 ,i pinged the dns but rek timed out.

any suggestion???

Originally posted by anirudhashish@Feb 5 2006, 01:44 AM
.1 being the primary.when .1 fails .2 needs to made the gate way.

can window have an alternate gate way the way it has alternate dns.
so not having .1 it'l use .2 as the gateway.I want a static IP.so pls dont enable the dynamic ip thing.
[snapback]41373[/snapback]
[/quote]

what seems odd here is you calim(or thats what I understood) that you have a static ip. if one modem has some problem the other modem should be used?? using the second modem will you have the same ip (like are you connecting to the same account?? I dont think so)??

maybe after you clear this I just might be able to help you out on this.

Originally posted by webDEViL@Feb 11 2006, 10:16 AM
what seems odd here is you calim(or thats what I understood) that you have a static ip. if one modem has some problem the other modem should be used?? using the second modem will you have the same ip (like are you connecting to the same account?? I dont think so)??

maybe after you clear this I just might be able to help you out on this.
[snapback]41789[/snapback]
[/quote]

I am attaching a diag. of my set up.

when beetel 220bx (airtel servce) is down (day to day routine) i switch over to mt841(data one).

Note mt 841 is not just a modem it is also a router(4 rj45,1 usb),wap and a adsl modem

Both are config to be in bridge mode (always connected).so both remain connected always but actually when i have to switch from airtel to beetel i have to change the gateway ip in the system.

what i want is when i switch of beetel 220bx (when the service is down) the other gateway should be used.

I can not enable the Obtain Ip Address automatically option on my desktop.