• Thread starter Thread starter valmiki0
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 10,782

valmiki0

ISP
BSNL
Hi All & specially experts
I need help to solve my following multi-user requirement.

My Configuration:-
a. ADSL Modem : BSNL provided 4 port WA3002G4
b. Two windows PCs (Windows-XP-SP2) using NIC (wired-LAN), each one connected to one output-LAN port of WA3002G4.
c. One LapTop (Windows-XP-SP2) with Wireless-LAN.

My Requirements & Constraints:-
a. I want to connect to internet & use all these three systems simultaneously for browsing. (for myself & my brothers)

b. I do not want to configure the Modem-cum-router (WA3002G4) in the "Bridge Mode" since i will loose the inbuilt firewall, & associated security/vulnerability issues!
Moreover in bridge-mode, I can connect ONLY one system at a time to internet. Once the PPPOE dialer configured in one PC is active, I will not be able to dialup from any other PC/laptop!

c. I prefer PPPOE over ethernet mode, but i donot like to enter my dialup-username & password into the modem in this mode, since it will become an always ON connection, which I cannot control to switchoff at my will. This is important since I use scripts to control my connection (connect/disconnect at predefined times) to optimize usage of my night-unlimited connection.

d. I would have preferred using this ppoe-over-ethernet mode, with username/password entered inside modem, if I had a working mechanism to alteast switchoff (disconnect) connection from any single PC. Eventhough all PC's loose connection, still it is OK for me.

Currently I use the ppoe- over-ethernet mode, without entering username/password in the modem. Instead I use ppoe dialler from PCs/laptop. But again I can connect only ONE system at a time to net.

Can some expert throw some light on how to connect all 3 systems simultaneously to net, using WA3002G4, satisfying the following broad conditions:-
a. Availability of inbuilt-firewall in WA3002G4 & associated security/protection.
b. Ability to switch-on/off connection from PC -progamatically (without power-on/off of modem)
c. Without using extra switch/hub-boxes, & without using ICS-Software (Internet Connection Sharing).

Thanks & regards

you can only do this by using ICS(internet connection sharing).in this you have to make 1 computer as gateway & other 2 computers will access net through this gateway computer.on gateway computer you have to use bridge mode & also you have to keep your gateway computer always on(just like a server).you can install a good firewall like zonealarm(paid)/comodo pro(freeware) on gateway computer to make it secure.use windows network setup wizard for ICS & you should be able to set it as all steps are pretty self explanatory.you can also use windows help.

Thanks whitestar for ur feedback.I was looking for a simpler approach than ICS. I have updated my query accordingly.I do want to utilize the multiple LAN ports provided by WA3002G4. The solution should be independent of any other system (dedicating & keeping ON another system with ICS software).Probably, in ppoe-over-ethernet-mode with userame & password entered within the modem, a mechanism to inhibit (disconnect) connection from PC will solve my requirement. Even though connection is lost for all PCs it is still OK.Any expert can throw some light how to achieve this?regards

@members/valmiki0/
a mechanism to inhibit (disconnect) connection from PC will solve my requirement.
Manual:
Start /Network/Local area connection/ disable enable !
Once the modem/router is disabled wireless connectivity also should be inhibited.
Else repeat same for wireless Network.

Manual:
Start /Network/Local area connection/ disable enable !

This is a viable method, though slightly drastic. Do u have any idea how to do this, by a batch program?
i.e any elementary cmds invoked thru cmd prompt/script.
Then only i can invoke it thru task-scheduler, to run unattended at predefined times.

Hi,
Recently another friend 'netant' had somewhat same issues.. and he solved thru this method.. he has given detailed in this thread ! have a look. Hope this may be of some use !
I went thru this rather long thread. But no real inputs how to achieve what I want is there!!

@/valmiki0/
Then only i can invoke it thru task-scheduler, to run unattended at predefined times.
1.I have modem/vonage/phone connected almost 18 hours a day. (Only if calls are made or received bandwidth is used. for instance yesterday on Airtel .) For surfing I used my BSNL connection.

07/08/2008 08:02:20 217 KB 22 0.3
07/08/2008 08:45:55 1774 KB 178 2.43
07/08/2008 13:35:30 627 KB 63 0.86
07/08/2008 16:11:00 378 KB 38 0.52
....................................301KB Rs 4.11 @ 1/40 per MB

So if you use task scheduler to start/stop the computer, no harm if modem is ON.
You can cross check Usage one or two days, to confirm that there is no heavy download/s .
.2.You have to use telnet . ( details if needed ). Discussed in these forums to start system around 0210 AM and stop at say 0755 AM to download during free night usage.

@/valmiki0/
1.I have modem/vonage/phone connected almost 18 hours a day. (Only if calls are made or received bandwidth is used.
.2.You have to use telnet . ( details if needed ). Discussed in these forums to start system around 0210 AM and stop at say 0755 AM to download during free night usage.
I usually download huge files, which will not be over by one day. So I cannot keep the modem connection active beyond 8.00AM. Either i have to disconnect or switch off PC.
I am already using scheduler to disconnect & then system hibernate at 7:55 AM. But the disconnect is possible only with ppoe dialer in PC.
Can u point to some links to usage of telnet u sugested?
thanks & regards

But the disconnect is possible only with ppoe dialer in PC.
To schedule the computer to start/hibernate/stop/close down, , whether Internet connection is active or not is immaterial, or how it is connected "dialup" or "always on " as explained in my post earlier.
Will give links for telnet tomorow.